Question re: DD not playing HS ball senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I will give you my 2 cents....HS ball did not get your daughter her opportunity to play in College. Your TB team did. Why should the HS take the credit of something they had nothing to do with?????

I got one DD....She did not play HS ball and she is playing in College. I remember talking to the coach as she was being recruited by and asked about HS ball specifically. Coach point blank told me more girls are quitting HS ball now more than ever. They do not recruit out of HS, do not care about stats out HS its all inflated as some schools are really bad and they run up the score or are able to keep a super low ERA. Many have said stick it out.....Me, I am of the mindset of I want my DD happy. If HS ball gives her that then play if not don't play.

Mar 31, 2014
What makes you think college is any different? College coaches not only want to see how they handle situations when all is well but they also want to see how the recruit handles adversity both on and off of the field. While players get much more exposure in travel, you are crazy if you don't think the college coach won't reach out to the high school coach to discuss the player and their thoughts on how the recruit handles things other than softball. I can't stand all of the crap that goes on with high school, but I know the college coaches not only look at statistics, they look at grades, social media and talk to both HS coach and the travel coach. They want team players.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I know the college coaches not only look at statistics, they look at grades, social media and talk to both HS coach and the travel coach. They want team players.

I agree that college coaches want players who understand what it means to be part of something bigger than themselves, like a college, and that HS ball might offer some practice in that experience that could be valuable. I'm sure there are some college coaches who are interested in how their recruit is doing in the HS setting. And if a player quits her HS team, a college coach probably would be interested in why, just to ensure that it's not for having an entitled, selfish attitude.

But that said, I think you're overrating college coaches' interest in HS ball (and definitely overrating HS statistics). My guess is that most current high school players who are committed to college programs can say that their future college coach and current HS coach have never spoken to each other and probably never will. If a college coach gets a high recommendation from a TB coach, and watches the recruit at camp and in games and feels good about the talent level, that's about all they need. And grades. College coaches definitely care about that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What makes you think college is any different? College coaches not only want to see how they handle situations when all is well but they also want to see how the recruit handles adversity both on and off of the field. While players get much more exposure in travel, you are crazy if you don't think the college coach won't reach out to the high school coach to discuss the player and their thoughts thon how the recruit handles things other than softball. I can't stand all of the crap that goes on with high school, but I know the college coaches not only look at statistics, they look at grades, social media and talk to both HS coach and the travel coach. They want team players.

I think this is an example of what someone thinks happens and what really happens in the recruiting process. Few if any college coaches, especially at a high level care what happens in HS ball. Some would like to believe that it matters only because it validates their own emotions about HS ball. I have found that most college coaches have at least average intelligence and I think it is a stretch to think they would consider information about a recruit which for the most part has zero context.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2014
I agree that college coaches want players who understand what it means to be part of something bigger than themselves, like a college, and that HS ball might offer some practice in that experience that could be valuable. I'm sure there are some college coaches who are interested in how their recruit is doing in the HS setting. And if a player quits her HS team, a college coach probably would be interested in why, just to ensure that it's not for having an entitled, selfish attitude.

But that said, I think you're overrating college coaches' interest in HS ball (and definitely overrating HS statistics). My guess is that most current high school players who are committed to college programs can say that their future college coach and current HS coach have never spoken to each other and probably never will. If a college coach gets a high recommendation from a TB coach, and watches the recruit at camp and in games and feels good about the talent level, that's about all they need. And grades. College coaches definitely care about that.

Think you misunderstood my point a bit, I was downplaying statistics a bit or at least that is what I intended. I for one am not real fond of HS ball but just saying it does fit into the equation of many coaches focus.

Mar 31, 2014
I think this is an example of what someone thinks happens and what really happens in the recruiting process. Few if any college coaches, especially at a high level care what happens in HS ball. Some would like to believe that it matters only because it validates their own emotions about HS ball. I have found that most college coaches have at least average intelligence and I think it is a stretch to think they would consider information about a recruit which for the most part has zero context.
Again, my opinion of HS ball is low. Just saying a college coach would be very curious why a girl quit before finishing out their HS career. If they never played HS that is one thing, but starting something and not finishing is quite another.

Feb 15, 2016
I would guess that once you have signed in the fall of your senior year you should ask the coaches you committed to if they prefer that you play HS ball your senior year. Why wouldn't you? If you are good enough to be committed to a school then you are probably one of the captains during your senior year. The leadership experience will be a good thing. I know there are bad high school programs out there but I know that my DDs think it is fun to play with their friends on the HS team even if the team is not very good.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
How do you quit something that you haven't made an obligation to play? Next year is next year. Run track. It's a very enjoyable experience. They have events for those who aren't running, such as javelin, discus and shot put.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'm a lowly HS Coach. I must be crazy but I know most of the college coaches around my parts and more than my fair share out of state. I even have a few ask me once in a while for advice. That is just crazy of them. I have been busting my butt trying to get some of my HS girls some interest. Their TB teams don't seem to have the contacts I do. :cool: Today, I think I got one enough interest that she is going to get an offer to a very good softball school. For another, I asked a former player I coached in TB to come and see one of my players this past week. I asked her to then call her former college coach and let him know her opinion about this player. I don't know what she will report but she said she would. My player had a very good game against a quality opponent when she came to watch. My point is that there are still some relics out there in HS who actually know people, people know them and who work to get their players into college.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
CB. You know I have the utmost respect for you and would absolutely love to have you coach my DD's HS team. Is there any chance whatsoever that you'd move to Ohio to do so for her Senior year?!:confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles