Question re: DD not playing HS ball senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Why do you think it is that the coach and players all hate her? I would sit down with the coach and have a heart to heart. If you don't like what the coach says than walk away from the situation. Enjoy her senior year and don't look back.

Sep 29, 2014
There always cliques, I would just encourage her, especially if most of the mean girls are seniors to wait and see what happens next year. If she can just form friendships with the nice girls on the team and steer clear of the rest as much as possible. As far as the coach just ignore the silly barbs, keep giving her best effort and if she does sit her it only makes the coach look like a bad coach to put a HR hitter on the bench. As far as signing day I've seen things done both ways sometimes just smile for the cameras at school even though they have done nothing but other times just get with travel club and have a little ceremony (feel free to invite the local sports beat writer or at least fed them the article and photo if you want) but you can send photos to all your family and friend and the travel team and college will gladly post pic on their websites

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Some cliques are impenetrable, particularly those that are cultivated by the coach. These cliques are especially bad when they prey on those not welcome.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
See if she will watch this youtube video. It's a great lesson in life about whether to choose to quit or not. I think she would regret not choosing to play her Sr. year. You never know which Freshman she will influence if she does not.

This is about Inky Johnson, a Tennessee football player who was injured in a game, who had a great future in front of him. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHgsT358Rc

Thank you for posting this......... Sometimes what you need comes your way in random ways. Right time - thanks for the gift!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So DD is seriously contemplating not playing next year...she is beginning to believe it's really not worth it. She hates the thought of missing signing day, but right now the negativity is outweighing that special day. i.e. the coach harassment, players bashing her, etc. I encouraged her to talk to her TB coaches and PC/HC first. She wants to enjoy her senior year without negativity pulling her down...honestly, at this point, I don't blame her. She will work with a sports specific trainer during the HS season, continue lessons (perhaps double up on these?), and practice with TB team every other week. Question: How will this look to prospective college coaches? What does she tell them?

DD is NOT a quitter, so I am almost convinced she will stick with it. I think right now everything is just raw. She is already scheduled to take softball next year, but she has until first week of June to change it. Who knows? Right now, AP Anatomy & Physiology is more appealing to her than HS softball.

Dang, sorry to hear what your DD is dealing with. Some of the coaches in this area are just out of touch.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD has been a target by players all 3 years (including this year). She is smart, strong, athletic and very mature (avoids drama like the plague). We have come to the conclusion that her goals in life differ greatly from that of her peers, and as a result, they don't understand her and target her with insults and derogatory remarks. Coach targets her during practices and games...other players (not the problem players obviously) have noticed it "Geesh...why does she have it out for you so badly?" and "She never leaves you alone, does she?". And she is being punished for hitting pop ups over the fence (I am not kidding)...she hits 6 or 7 over during live pitching, and coach yells at her "THAT WAS STILL A POP UP!!"...and then sits her out of lineup for 4 games straight. Parents and players are scratching their heads. So...next live pitching practice, she line drives 5 over fence...they looked the other way. Her PC/HC and TB coaches are also scratching their heads...TB coaches come to watch her HS games, and HC/PC coach already knows what she is capable of and they know who she is. Just putting that out there in case you think it's HER...not them. LOL.

I recently read that article celebrating your DD's coach reaching that major milestone of 500 wins. Says she's been coaching for 30 years. Sounds like she hasn't improved her coaching techniques since the 80's. When I originally read it I thought of your DD and all the crap that she has to deal with. There are many coaches in this are that are just like her. My friend who has kids that plays for a power house program south of town has a coach just like yours. He likes to say that Doc Brown from Back to Future took his Delorean back to the 70's and picked up the coach and transplanted her to today's time. She coaches like it's still the 70's. Even makes the righties slap hit!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Question: How will this look to prospective college coaches? What does she tell them?

Is your DD already verballed? If she is, I would recommend asking her future college coaches their opinion. If she is not verballed I do not think skipping her senior season is a big deal, but she needs to be prepared to answer questions about why she did not play.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
See if she will watch this youtube video. It's a great lesson in life about whether to choose to quit or not. I think she would regret not choosing to play her Sr. year. You never know which Freshman she will influence if she does not.

This is about Inky Johnson, a Tennessee football player who was injured in a game, who had a great future in front of him. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHgsT358Rc
Thank you for this, it really hit me in the feels. I shamelessly reposted on my Facebook, tagged DD and DS. Great message, and I especially love his credit to his mother and her sacrifices.

Aug 30, 2015
Why would she play her senior year? Make a list and if the list isn't big enough or important enough, maybe it will provide some clarity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00