Question on pitcher being injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
Hi everyone , I was going to post this in the rules forum but I wanted to hear opinions here also . Background , My daughter pitched yesterday here on Long Island ,New York . It was high 30's to low 40's with 40 mph gust . The softball was far from being soft . Pitched 1st inning ,three strikeouts and zero runs . We get up and get six runs ,we bat around . Second inning ,halfway through , girl at bat connects real nice with the ball and the ball hits my DD right in the unprotected shin . She hobbles to pick the ball at and unsuccessfully throws the ball at the third baseman , runner safe . I see she is pain but because she has sun glasses on I cannot see her crying . She wearing sunglasses because of the wind blowing the dirt up so much . She is not a wimp and I have seen her take shots in her shins before . I am also her Karate teacher . She has to leave the game because of the injurer . I thought she would be able to re-enter the game back as a pitcher . Well I was wrong . According to the other manager and coach . We play Little league rules and some form of town rules which no one had on them . I am new to this but I would like to hear from fellow friends around the country . Asa ,little league and what ever rules your softball organization is govern by . She is Ok , re-entered the game as a first baseman and we did lose . No ESPN trucks or college scouts at the game so I am ok with it . She on the other hand would not drive home with me but drove home with my wife because she was **** we lost . LOL . I can't help thinking to my self , is this the message we are teaching our 9 and 10 y/o kids . You got hurt , suck it up or we take you out of your position and your team might have a good chance that they are going to lose . I will tell you she is one of the best pitchers in the league and was drafted first round . Almost every coach told me they were drafting her first pick but she was gone before they got to pick . I only added that because she is our number one pitcher and the other coaches know it . Thanks in advance , staying warm today like Bill in Aruba , LI Viking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our League’s local rule is a continuous batting order. The official substation rules go out the window once this is in place. The only rule is that the pitchers have a maximum amount of innings that they can pitch, They can pitch the 1st then 3rd inning, or any combination that suites the Team.

I took a quick look at the ASA rules and did not see anything about a pitcher not being allowed to pitch again. I think that they might be confusing baseball and softball rules.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OK...your DD got hurt in the game pitching. You say you are a karate instructor--if so, you know the single most important thing to do from a sports injury is rest. So, why would you want to pitch her? Admittedly, this is a 10YOA little league game, and there is a lot at stake.

You got hurt , suck it up or we take you out of your position and your team might have a good chance that they are going to lose

That is the same message that is given to every athlete in every sport. I don't like it, but that is the way it is.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
OK...your DD got hurt in the game pitching. You say you are a karate instructor--if so, you know the single most important thing to do from a sports injury is rest. So, why would you want to pitch her? Admittedly, this is a 10YOA little league game, and there is a lot at stake.

That is the same message that is given to every athlete in every sport. I don't like it, but that is the way it is.

As I stated , yes I am a instructor for many years . I did not want her to pitch nor did she . When I stated there were no ESPN trucks and college scouts ,I was referring that it was only a 10 y/o girls softball game . She did want to go back in to bat and play another position. I did allow this after looking at her leg and checking for any apparent signs of bruising . My direct question should of been if she wanted to go back and pitch , should she be allowed . Also to see what other organizations around the country are doing . She is resting today -for a 10 y/o . This is the first time she has been hit with such force that she was not ready for . So between the initial shock and the sensitive area she got hit probably shock her . I apologize if I misdirect you in thinking that my daughters health was taking a back seat to playing in a 10 y/o town team league with bragging rights going to winning team and their fathers . I am new to this sport with only one year experience under my belt . Thanks again , LI Viking

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, my DD has not been in LL for a decade - but if I took a pitcher out, she could not return to pitching. This was in LL, only.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The National association rulebooks are only a guide for league or tournament competition. A national or qualifying tourney is a different critter, they are set in stone.

The league or tournament director has the authority to add, delete or amend any rule they wish to. Most of the time, they will hjand that authority down to the UIC.

Jul 26, 2010
Pretty sure the other team was playing by the exact same rules that your team was playing by. That makes it fair.

-W

Jun 21, 2010
It really doesn't matter what the rules are in different organizations. It only matters what the rules are in your organization for that game.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
LL rules state that a pitcher who remains in the game can return to the mound. There are pitch count limits and limits on the number of times you move her in and out of the circle (once per inning).

Dec 25, 2010
correct me if I'm wrong china, but I believe the only pitcher...who leaves the mound for another position..that can pitch again is the starter. In Little League that is

LL rules state that a pitcher who remains in the game can return to the mound. There are pitch count limits and limits on the number of times you move her in and out of the circle (once per inning).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd