Question: Does everyone have hitting lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
DD sometimes goes for short periods without hitting lessons. Her instructor gives private lessons outside on the weekend when the weather is good and gives hitting classes with 3-4 girls indoors during the winter. There is usually a several week gap in the late fall and early spring. Quite often we'll have to skip a weekend lesson due to a tournament schedule. Short breaks don't seem to be an issue, but I start getting antsy when there's a gap of over a month or two. She probably averages a lesson every 2-3 weeks over the course of a year.

Thank goodness we went this Sunday; DD's mechanics got a bit messed up during the HS softball camp last week. (I had thought something looked awry when she was hitting on Saturday!) Her instructor immediately saw that her step, weight shift and hands were out of whack, worked with her and got her looking much more like her normal self by the end of the lesson.

Maybe she doesn't need to go to her instructor as often as she does, but she got her completely turned around last year when she was struggling, so I'd rather keep with what's working than take a chance again. I look at it like preventative maintenance. IMO it's a lot harder to do an engine rebuild than doing regular tune-ups and oil changes. :-D

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
We had to change pitching/hitting coaches because: 1) the schedule didn't work out for us once my work schedule changed...he was too booked to reschedule us to another time slot and 2) he was making weird changes to DD's pitching style...didn't feel natural to her at all. And as a result, she has not had hitting lessons in 2 weeks, and it is starting to show. However, both of her TB coaches said that neither of them had hitting lessons (they both played college ball) and that all they did was practice, practice, practice (esp tee work). They think she is using it as a "crutch" and really no excuse for that (I agree). They said she is VERY smart, and should be able to work out her own kinks.

So in the meantime, she goes to this batting cage (not open to public - invited by this TB coach...he's REALLY nice) and hits with a 16U gold team (she is 1st year 14U) on Mondays and Wednesdays. They all do tee stations and then they do live pitching with real softballs. The live pitching is done by this one dad who does a tremendous job. And similar to last hitting coach, it's done at a closer distance than mound and he throws different pitches pretty well.

I am just wondering if I am doing her a disservice by not doing hitting lessons anymore. She is pretty disciplined and follows the same pattern of hitting instruction. She knows what adjustments she has to make on different pitches. I will probably invest in a Champro tee with some softees that she can work on her own in the backyard. Also want to get our own bownet (but they are price-y) so that she can go through a bucket of balls. I never invested in all of this because we had hitting lessons. Guess that will change...

I am a hitting instructor and IMO, there is no way you should be coming to me or any hitting instructor every week. Unless you have limitless funds and time. Even then, I would say no because the player needs to take some responsibility for their swing. Also, if you have to come every week then I am not doing my job and teaching you.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd has had 1 hitting lesson from a private coach. The rest of her "lessons" have come from her coaches. She has played for a couple of guys 2 out of the last 3 years (plus this year coming up) and they have done a nice job helping her correct a couple of issues and generate some pop. These days 99% of the time she will just go to the winter practices, do her tee work and what ever else they have going on and they have little to say to her about her swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors