Qualifying for USSSA World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2013
My DD team is playing 10uB this week in Branson. I have noticed some teams have played very few games. Several have not played in a State tournament. One "select" team from TX has not even played a game and has no roster registered. what happened to qualifying.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like a typo...
Unless something has changed, teams must be registered and rostered by the spring deadline and have earned minimum number of qualifying points/games prior to a world series at any class level.

Jun 15, 2013
Thanks. That is what I thought. I could not find anything that said otherwise in USSSA regs. There are at least 3 teams that definitely have not met the requirements. Looks like this would leave the door open for coaches to cherry pick from teams that are not going to WS and form a new team.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sounds like a typo...
Unless something has changed, teams must be registered and rostered by the spring deadline and have earned minimum number of qualifying points/games prior to a world series at any class level.

Yeah something has 'changed' - local USSSA director may waive qualification requirements for WS for any reason.... and often do. We played 4 'no-record' teams in the Orlando WS last year and one other team local to us had 4 new players who had never played for them before (added by waiver because they claimed they lost some players before the tournament which was BS - it was a total upgrade roster move).

My DD was actually a pickup player for the team she played on in the WS as a pitcher - and so was the other pitcher who played on the team. Legitimately they only needed one player (one of their pitchers was actually injured).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks. That is what I thought. I could not find anything that said otherwise in USSSA regs. There are at least 3 teams that definitely have not met the requirements. Looks like this would leave the door open for coaches to cherry pick from teams that are not going to WS and form a new team.

Yep. It sure does.

Jun 15, 2013
Yeah, they registered the player names yesterday. They definitely have not played in a USSSA game this year as a team.

Sep 18, 2011
I'll probably get flamed for this, but in my experience the easy way to "qualify" for USSSA world series is to call the state USSSA director and ask. Maybe it's just my state. But I doubt it.

Edit- Just noticed marriard beat me to the punch, so it's not just here where this happens.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I took a team to USSSA WS last year, and one of the teams in our pool had no history of games played. The team was from the Caribbean and not very experienced (they went 0-5, iirc). If the team is harmless, then let 'em enjoy Disney. But if it's a contending team, then USSSA should be very upfront with its policy toward this.

Dec 25, 2010
I took a team to USSSA WS last year, and one of the teams in our pool had no history of games played. The team was from the Caribbean and not very experienced (they went 0-5, iirc). If the team is harmless, then let 'em enjoy Disney. But if it's a contending team, then USSSA should be very upfront with its policy toward this.

I disagree. What if your team has a tough draw and other teams get to play a few cupcakes that are 'not good'. I'm not usually a stickler for rules but in this situation I disagree

Jun 15, 2013
Why even have any qualifying rules then? To get money from those that follow the rules and play qualifying tourneys, state, etc. ? Maybe we should play more league and ASA tourneys that are cheaper around here and then just ask for a pass into WS? Of corse we would stack the roster and then ask to get in...jk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1