Proud of my kids - Hitting Instructor Bragg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
She couldn't wait to see what crazy stuff you would have her doing lol. One time your bouncing balls off the ground, next time your throwing straight at her, next time she's sitting in a chair to start her swing lol. The variety is awesome, and it was all stuff she hadn't seen before. It all was a little unorthodox to what she had seen in other lessons, but after seeing and doing them it all makes sense.

On a side note she did make the team she tried out for, but not sure we're done looking and ready to accept just yet. Every year she's tried out for one team and made it, and plans to go to tryouts for 5 or 6 teams to see which she likes best. She was swinging under the ball on a few at last nights tryouts. Her lower body looked great and she was swinging hard. I recorded a few misses and played them back for her and she new exactly what the problem was and how to fix it as soon as she saw it.

That is awesome news. Have her blame the misses on the hitting coach and give the credit for the hits to herself. Better yet, if she misses, blame the slapper coach. LOL There are tryouts all over the place all of a sudden. good luck in these next tryouts. I know BB's team has been real busy.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My lessons are also 30 minutes but you can book an hour. You won't do anything as a parent but ask questions and sit there watching me work. Don't confuse quantity of swings for quality. I don't know how many buckets a hitter will go through with me in a lesson. I don't count them. We are also considering the Marine facility for lessons this winter. However, I have a price point that I won't cross and so, if I can't give lessons for that number or lower, I'm not going to give lessons. BTW, I don't use machines in my lessons. IMO, often, and this is a generalization, people feed a bucket of balls and let a hitter swing but don't coach during those swings. I'm constantly asking questions of my hitters. Maybe if I had a machine I might reconsider but it would have to be a machine that throws a high percentage of strikes.

Edited to add:

BTW, in this last session, I had students from Triad, Collinsville, Highland, Waterloo, and Edwardsville.

CB,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with the rest of us. It is great to see these positive stories. Secondly, the bold above is one of the most important parts of a lesson in my opinion. I too often see people rushing through lessons to get as many swings as possible. I feel that this can be counter productive.

Dec 1, 2015
Southern IL
My DD also took lessons this summer from Cannonball. She is a 10u girl so was on the younger side. I can honestly say she loved every minute of the session and couldn't wait to go. After the sessions she would tell me why he was having her do the certain drills. It was so much more that just going to a 30 minute lesson to hit. He really broke it down so she could start to understand her swing and what her body does when it starts the process. I agree with the fact that he really does love it. You can tell the excitement in his voice when the girls "get it". He also made sure that we understood what he was teaching, why he was teaching it, and what to look for. I can't say enough about how happy we were for the time and effort that was put into our daughter and the other girls we saw Cannonball and BB working with.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
jmdant, like Mudrunner's daughter, your dd cracks me up. That last lessons when I was trying to give her the clue about how rotating on the toe should follow, it was priceless listening to her explaining what the swing is. ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS! To see her eyes when she said she hit a home run was also priceless. As I said earlier, both you and Mudrunner have much to be proud of in your dds! Thanks for trusting me with her instruction.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Do you like instructors that use machines?

Machines have their place. However, timing machines is difficult for some when you are trying to improve mechanics. I'd much prefer front toss. Per my dd, she hated hitting off of machines though she did it all of her life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00