Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
The chaulk line goes to the back angles of the plate and not the front of the plate.

Edited to add:

Her foot is on the base line in the first collision as well. She is in the basepath. The basepath is not only in the foul area beyond the line. It includes the line and the front of the plate.

Something must be lost in translation here: the base path has nothing to do with the foul line. USSSA and ASA hands books on hand neither even remotely mentions the line. Only the well known "imaginary" direct line between the runner and their next base. I don't have my NFHS rule book with me but I'm fairly certain there is no mention of the line in that rule set either.

USSSA Definitions: BASE PATH. A base path is a direct line between a base and the runner’s position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Good point-coach always said the one who throws the second hit or punch always gets the flag in football.

I googled and found a conversation among the two teams parents. Apparently there were fights in the stands by parents during the game and that sportsmanship by both teams was vulgar. The other team tried to decleat the runner teams catcher at one point. Parents on both sides say players were instructed by coaches to initiate a collision anywhere they could and "take a fall". etc etc.

A black eye for the sport on tv regardless of the reason or aggressor.

I would say this is the smoking gun that was missing.

Apr 4, 2012
Am I missing something here-what I see is the runner clearly in foul territory and the catcher with one foot on the line and the majority of her body inside fair territory. The runner makes a real effort about 4 feet from the plate to the chalkline-she changed her path. To me it looks like she was trying to take out the catcher who was standing still.

If the catcher had gone down would we be upset with the runner? I think the runner had ill intentions and got "schucked off" by an aware and stronger player. The catcher didn't take the hit she deflected it hence the elbow. Military, LEO etc teach this move to redirect an attacker-its an akido move.

The runner even tensed up and raised her shoulder/hands anticipating a collision. The catcher never moved her feet-the runner clearly could have avoided a collision but chose not to.

You are not missing anything. It was an event thought could have been avoided if either player had done something different but neither was doing anything wrong or "illegal". The catcher was as close to the plate as she could be without impeding the runner and the runner was taking the most direct route after the turn.

The hyperbole of "A dirty play" or "clothesline" doesn't do anything but detract from the effort both players but into what they are doing on the field.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In the first hit, the girl in the background to the far right looks to be the one who got leveled in the second hit. I would definitely agree that the catcher is blocking the plate and throwing a hockey-style body check on both, but it appears to me that the runners weren't doing much to minimize the collision, either.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You are not missing anything. It was an event thought could have been avoided if either player had done something different but neither was doing anything wrong or "illegal". The catcher was as close to the plate as she could be without impeding the runner and the runner was taking the most direct route after the turn.

The hyperbole of "A dirty play" or "clothesline" doesn't do anything but detract from the effort both players but into what they are doing on the field.

Wow, really??? Must be the C daddy...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Ty Cobb had his own way of handling these situations.

EDIT: Not that I approve of some of the things Cobb did (although I gather his reputation was greatly exaggerated by his biographer), just that dirty play often begets dirty play.

I know more than a couple of coaches who would not think twice about "earholing" her on her next at bat.....not that I am condoning such actions!

Sep 29, 2014
Maybe they were trying to get back for a play like this?

2B slide.JPG
but then again what do you expect the runner to do when you are blocking the bag without the ball...although I would not gripe about this play since it's obviously going to be close. This pic is from the second inning.

From an article about the game looks like the biggest issue the Blue team had was being up by 3 runs and the last collision being the last two of a five run fifth inning.

Feb 7, 2013
So you think the catcher in this video respects the game??

Absolutely not but you do not compound the problem by retaliating and then the other team retaliates because you retaliated, and so on..this isn't ice hockey or football...

You see this nonsense in baseball all they time. A guy hits a home run. Next at bat, they hit him. Next inning, they throw at the pitcher who hit their batter. And it goes on and on, even carrying over to the next game or series. This "unwritten rule" of baseball should never occur and one could only hope that the penalties are more severe for this type of behavior.

May 29, 2013
That video is shocking. In both cases, the Catcher clearly initiates the contact by throwing her elbow back and into the runner. There is no other way to read the action. If she stands there, or even lowers shoulder to brace for contact, then runner slides by and steps on the back of the plate no issue.

In neither case is there a play -- in both shots her glove is down and closed -- she's not readying to receive a ball. Given no play even if you charitably assume she's worried about the runner trying to take her out, all she has to do is take a step forward and she's safe.

Looks pretty clear to me that she positioned herself where she did and the way she did for the sole purpose of attempting to injure another player. Don't know exactly where the line gets drawn, but that's not just a "dirty play," that is assault with intent. At some point there should be legal repercussions... assault isn't "not assault" just because it happens on the field of play.

I would not allow my DD to play with this girl or for any of the coaches involved. Disgusting.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Maybe they were trying to get back for a play like this?

View attachment 8325
but then again what do you expect the runner to do when you are blocking the bag without the ball...although I would not gripe about this play since it's obviously going to be close. This pic is from the second inning.

From an article about the game looks like the biggest issue the Blue team had was being up by 3 runs and the last collision being the last two of a five run fifth inning.

That isn't violent or malicious...if they want to call obstruction then so be it...runners knees are down and cleats are tucked. This exact situations happens in baseball and softball a gazillion times a day.

My 2 cents - there was no reason for the catcher to move her elbows backwards or rearwards...there was no play at the plate. How she didn't get tossed is a mystery to me...CP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01