Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I find it interesting that some girls can be discussed on the Internet and then, some are basically off limits. Just my 2 cents from reading message boards, this weekend.

Sep 29, 2014
Because baseball players are idiots if they resort to this type of retaliation. The rules are pretty clear, if you intentionally lower your shoulder without the ball and knock the baserunner off her feet, you should be ejected. Nothing else needs to be said or done. I'm personally glad that softball is played with a respect for the game and doesn't have to resort to retaliation to "police" the game. This old school mentality in baseball needs to be eradicated once and for all.

So you think the catcher in this video respects the game??

What exactly are the base runners supposed to do in this situation.
- It looks like the catcher is too far up the line to slide into home (plus sliding into a catcher as the outfield is just throwing in it in would be poor sportsmanship since you are safe by five steps)
- They can't avoid the catcher since at that speed running around her probably means missing the plate (any body want odds on an obstruction call if they miss the plate with no contact)?

The only real option here appears a slide four foot wide of the plate with your left arm out swiping the plate..which shouldn't be required on this play.

My BIGGEST issue with this play is that there is NO play at the plate, if there was anything remotely resembling a close play you would not here a peep out of me.

Jun 18, 2010
c1_zpsrxgov4t4.gif

c1_slow_zpsv4owbzze.gif

c2_zpsnhtgavrq.gif

c2_slow_zpsemswe7km.gif

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well after watching it several times, it's my thoughts that the C did intentionally do both times. In the first play, there wasn't a chance at all of a play at the plate, that ball was over the LF head, and although you don't really see it I can imagine the ball hadn't even got to the cut off when the runner crossed the plate, so why was she even that close to the plate in the first place.. At least in the 2nd one, there was a chance of a play at the plate, thus her positioning, but she completely lowered her shoulder to an unsuspecting runner.

BUT another major problem here is the umpire. He did nothing, and he did see the first play, you can see him looking back at the runner as she is flying through the air.

As a coach if my player were the runners... I would have been kicked... then I could have posted in the Ejection thread :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The game certainly isn't what it used to be. Not that this didn't happen. But, my buddies would have been on that catcher immediately. An older, wiser me, knows it is best to walk away.

After discussions in another thread, I had a discussion with my pitcher daughter about intentional HBP in softball. DD said she strongly believes she has never seen an intentional HBP. She also said the ONLY reason she would even consider such a thing would be if another pitcher intentionally hit her.

Yes, I generally like that the retaliation factor is pretty much out of the picture in softball, but that puts the onus on blue to make the call.
I disagree here.

We were playing a couple of weeks ago when my cleanup hitter comes up in a tight game. There are runners on second and third and one out, and our #4 hitter has put one out and another off the fence in her first two ABs.

I am coaching 3B, and the other team is in that dugout. When our girl comes to the plate, the Head Coach says to his assistant who is calling pitches, "Put her on."

The first pitch goes right into her rib cage.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Several things, LAS:

First, you have a LOT more softball experience than my family.
Second, you are playing at a different level. DD has played against a few really good teams, but not that many.
Third, you are in a different part of the country.

I have never seen an intentional HBP, nor have my DDs. Not saying it never happens, just they have never seen it in Wisconsin.

Several things, LAS:

First, you have a LOT more softball experience than my family.
Second, you are playing at a different level. DD has played against a few really good teams, but not that many.
Third, you are in a different part of the country.

I have never seen an intentional HBP, nor have my DDs. Not saying it never happens, just they have never seen it in Wisconsin.

I found it more interesting that the opposing team actually had a sign for an intentional HBP. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207