Poll on the size of SB try-outs in HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
western burb of Chicago, down scrambling to have enough to field freshman team

We are in the next city over (Naperville, IL). I would say we were down slightly this year. I believe there were about 65-70 girls this year where there were 80+ last year.

School has about 4100 students. Went from four teams last year (V, JV and 2 Freshman teams) to three teams. Budget cuts district wide eliminated one of the freshman teams for all sports.

We had 14 travel pitchers try out. At least 4 others didn't even bother trying out as pitchers. Carrying 15 players on Varsity (four pitchers) and I believe 16 on the other two teams.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
4A school in suburban Philadelphia - reportedly 56 were going to try out, only 42 today (first day) for 3 teams, but some may not have gotten their paperwork in yet. A large number of travel players in the freshman class, but doubt more than 1 will make Varsity. Bodes well for the future though.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
We are 4A and are down from last year. The enrollment was split in half when a new HS was added. Before that, they had several show up and fielded a V, JV and C team. Then they would have to make cuts. Only had 23 girls show up this year.

Another school where I have players attending is a 1A school and they had 24 girls try out. About the same as last year.

Aug 29, 2012
We had 21 girls show up last night for the first day of tryouts. Small numbers I know for a 3A school. Will probably only make cuts from V to JV. Reserve players on V will play JV. We're going to be very young in 2 years. 14 out of our 21 are juniors and seniors. Fortunately we have a very strong 7th and 8th grade coming.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Pa.(Del. co.) Piaa AAA School fieldS V & JV
Give or take 45 girls trying out. May keep 30?
DD is freshman not sure of the numbers from last year.
DD says alot of girls went out for LAX (some never played the game before) No cuts for LAX.

Apr 11, 2012
They play SB in the fall in Missouri....but my DD is at a large 6A suburban HS in Kansas City (Missouri side)....had 3 teams (Frosh, JV, V) and about 45 girls in the program....about 65 tried out....

Oct 3, 2012
Our HS program is up. First time in a few years we are able to field a JV team. The main reasons I believe are a coach who works with the youth in the community and a sucessful program. Its good to see the numbers rising.

Mar 29, 2012
DD is only 11 and has moved to travelball this year so I am not sure how many girls come out for our local highschool.

What I do know is our high school (9-12) only has 286 students total (2nd smallest in ur conference) and they field a JV and varsity softball team. Two years ago they made it to the championship game.

In my DD's grade (5th) there are 6 girls playing travel this year on various teams. The grade above us has 0 in travel and proabably only a couple who can make a team.

Apr 25, 2010
We are in another small NEOhio school. My DD's entire 8th grade class is 61 kids. They quit having a JV team a couple years ago due to lack of participants. I don't know how many showed up to try out this year, but I certainly plan on attending as many games as we can so we can see what she'll be working with next year. I don't think there is a single travel player on the current HS team. In DD's class, she and 1 other girl travel, the rest think rec rules. Then there is another girl 2 years behind DD who travels, but that's all the TB players in our district, I believe. DD is going to have a rough high school career, that's for sure. I watched the HS team play 2 years ago, and let's just say, there was no fear about an extended run cutting into TB season...

mogsoftball - I played against Mogadore when I was in HS. Went to James A. Garfield (Garrettsville).

Mar 29, 2012
We are in another small NEOhio school. My DD's entire 8th grade class is 61 kids. They quit having a JV team a couple years ago due to lack of participants. I don't know how many showed up to try out this year, but I certainly plan on attending as many games as we can so we can see what she'll be working with next year. I don't think there is a single travel player on the current HS team. In DD's class, she and 1 other girl travel, the rest think rec rules. Then there is another girl 2 years behind DD who travels, but that's all the TB players in our district, I believe. DD is going to have a rough high school career, that's for sure. I watched the HS team play 2 years ago, and let's just say, there was no fear about an extended run cutting into TB season...

mogsoftball - I played against Mogadore when I was in HS. Went to James A. Garfield (Garrettsville).

Hi Crystal, are you still in Garretsville? I would be suprised to hear they had no travel players on their high school team with the outlaws out that way.

Garretsville is one of the OGSO communities that actually has a solid rec program, along with Mogadore, Crestwood, and a few others. My DD's OGSO team 2 years ago (first year of 10u) had all 6 girls who have now moved to travel. My DD now plays with the Ohio Lady Bombers, one girl plays for Ice Red, another plays for Ohio Intesity, and 3 play for High Voltage.

I know Tom from the Outlaws 11u team, my DD subbed with them one weekend last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA