Poll on the size of SB try-outs in HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
To those who have seen their high schools SB tryouts => are the numbers of SB athletes trying out going:
1. UP
2. Down
3. Relatively the same

(assume no other factors involved like two HS merging etc....)

My DD's HS has seen a very big surge of current Freshmen/Sophmores. So a big (1) here.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd say ours stays about the same.

Our factors:
We play D1 AAA, largest/toughest classification in the state.
Small rural town.
School has 1400 students.
Coach only carries 18-24 ( total for the program ) in our years of playing.
No freshman team, just JV and V.
I wouldnt say it's "hard" making the team, but it's going to be extremely difficult to beat out our starters on V. ( so I assume that has some influence on some trying out ) I'm anxious to see what happens next year for tryouts, losing 7 starting seniors and the coach is retiring.

Oct 10, 2011
We had about the same as last year. 30 girls came out...2 girls chickened out in the parking lot. Now a school much bigger than ours just 10 minutes away only had 13 total come out for JV and Varsity. One had never played before. They of course are not going to have a JV team now.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fastpitch softball in GA has been growing the past 4-5 years and our area of town is growing too. Just went to freshman orientation for my DD and the administrators say they already have 702 students registered for the class of 2017, which will be the largest class in school history.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
South Florida - numbers going up. More schools have both V and JV than ever before and are not having an issue filling roster spots. We are also seeing more MS teams in the past 2-3 years after it was trending down a few years ago

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Fewer, or at least thats the scuttlebutt

We have about 325 girls in our school. Last year tryouts had almost 40 girls, the coaches kept way too many on both Varsity and JV, at the end of the year he told both teams that there would be more cuts this year and that being on varsity did not guarantee a varsity spot the next season (this spring) We have a few seniors who play sports for the social aspect only. From what the coach tells me he is keeping 12 varsity players this year (kept 17) last year. With the influx of talented 9th and 10th grade players, almost half of the returning varsity players have seen the writing on the wall and are not trying out, add in the juniors this year who rode the bench on JV last year who are not trying out and we have less girls.

Feb 4, 2013
Fewer at our school. We used to have 3 teams V, JV, and Freshmen now we just have varsity and jv.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Fewer here for a couple of reasons:
1) (biggest reason) An Air Force base feeds our school and the staff was cut by 1/3
2) Not as many girls played little league as did the years in the past so there are less interested at the HS level

Because of the schools rural location and the AFB there are anywhere between 650 and 1,000 students in any one year. There are less now and less talent coming up so I am guessing that this will be the last dominant year for a while :(