Poll on the size of SB try-outs in HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Nah, we aren't in G'ville anymore. Hubby hated growing up there...lol. We are out in Kinsman (very rural Trumbull County). My DD does, however, play for the Outlaws...lol. Most of the G'ville girls who play travel play for Valley Extreme, Thunder Elite, Ice.... Not too many with the Outlaws. Tom's wife and I graduated together. Is Alex Staton still with the Lady Bombers?

Mar 29, 2012
No one with that name on the 12u, and I don't remember ever hearing it with anyone associated on the 14u either.

I thought most the Outlaws were out that way and played out of the Gplex? Maybe it's just the younger 10u, 11u, 12u teams, and I I just assumed that's where the Garretsville girls would go.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD's school has 400 students total - 200 boys, 200 girls. Last year was the first in several they had a JV team, with 2 coming out to play. Season was not a big success with wins, so the turnout is lighter this year - 16-17 players, which means no JV team & playing time for some of the players.

My daughter is an 8th grader in SW Louisiana she plays for the MS team. We have a V and JV Middle School team. The JV consists of 6th & 7th graders and the varsity is 8th graders. That is awesome...we have 7 pitchers between both teams. They ALL play travel ball and play all year long. Most of the time when we play weaker schools, the JV gets the most playing time because our V is blowing the other team away. It makes me very excited for the future to know that these girls all believe in the program!! It is growing like wild fire in Louisiana and that makes my day! We live in a 5A school district and very rarely have girls show up to the HS tryout that have not played ball. It's become that competitive!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's MS had 2 Teams too. Totally separate Teams and schedules. DD played JV and only played other JV Teams.

Only 1 player on the JV had not played SB before, she only made the team because of her great attitude they did cut a handful of players that had some SB experience.

All the HS around here have at least 1 freshmen team, then a sophomore, JV and varsity. I would be very surprised if anyone without SB experience even makes the freshmen team. Sophomore team they are cutting TB players.

I looked up their records and they are not as good as I thought they would be so they must be playing schools that also have a depth of talent to choose from.

Last edited:

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
We had 22 come out at my DDs HS. The future looks bright though - only 3 seniors this year and there are about 12 8th graders coming in next year. They are gonna be stacked with talent for the next 3-4 years. My twins are freshman and made Varsity, so there is a talented group that's gonna be around for a few years!!

Dec 7, 2011
My daughter is an 8th grader in SW Louisiana she plays for the MS team. We have a V and JV Middle School team. The JV consists of 6th & 7th graders and the varsity is 8th graders. That is awesome...we have 7 pitchers between both teams. They ALL play travel ball and play all year long. Most of the time when we play weaker schools, the JV gets the most playing time because our V is blowing the other team away. It makes me very excited for the future to know that these girls all believe in the program!! It is growing like wild fire in Louisiana and that makes my day! We live in a 5A school district and very rarely have girls show up to the HS tryout that have not played ball. It's become that competitive!!

WOW - this sounds like the Mecca of SB communities!!!

Packing my bags right now!

;-)

Apr 25, 2010
No one with that name on the 12u, and I don't remember ever hearing it with anyone associated on the 14u either.

I thought most the Outlaws were out that way and played out of the Gplex? Maybe it's just the younger 10u, 11u, 12u teams, and I I just assumed that's where the Garretsville girls would go.

The 11 and 12u teams have several Garrettsville kids on them. Both 14u teams have zero G'ville kids. I believe the older teams don't have any either. The 10u team has a lot of Hudson kids on it. There are several rec coaches in Garrettsville who forbid their players from playing travel, saying they don't need it and that it doesn't help them. But yeah, we practice at the Gplex sometimes, but mostly out of the old elementary in Mantua.

A friend of mine is your org's 14u assistant coach. We know a couple kids on that team.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
When my DD played HS ball in Pickerington (D1), just outside Columbus there was always a Varsity, JV and Freshman team but I have heard in the past 4 years they sometimes do not have the numbers for the freshman team. I think lacrosse has cut into those numbers. The smaller rural district I coached in for the past several years never makes cuts, barely has enough to make the JV team numbers. That is due to a mediocre HC and a big dose of daddy ball. This past year zero seniors on the team, there should have been four and three Jrs, two of which are part of the daddy ball regime.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red