Poll : HS vs TB-A

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
HS ball can be very challenging for freshmen to play against strong HS teams. HS ball was more challenging than TB-A for my DD when she was a freshman and 4 of the other 6 teams in our league were ranked in ESPN's Fab 50.
So what proportion of your mentioned "challenge" here is mental versus "skills" based?
It was mainly skills. A big factor was DD was the #2 pitcher and pitched a lot because the #1 struggled to keep her pivot foot down. It's a lot more of a challenge for a pitcher because they have to keep pitching until they get 3 outs.

Her TB team was very good and were very successful playing up in the fall and winter to prepare them for HS ball. The stronger HS line-ups were about a 60-40 mix of experienced PGF-level players and good TB-A players.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
See my thread #11 - maybe you missed that?

I honestly am just trying to see the profile of HS/TB across this BIG nation.

I stumble on myself too many times when I generalize to what I see in my little world.

I am just trying to see what others see - nothing more.

I used to get all excited about "HS has stronger sb" vs "TB has stronger sb".

Now I just want to learn :)

A good HS team is really set up like a good A TB team, only the players all must live within the district. We didn't have a single dominate player or even a couple, that carried the team. What we did have is 3 good pitchers we could rotate ( like TB ), a super fast slapper, a solid batting order, great defense, good base running skills, game knowledge. You really need all the ingredients to have a successful program, just like TB.

I use to laugh when I'd hear people say HS ball is garbage, or it sucks yada yada. I guess because we were in a good situation. Now the shoe is on the other foot as I could go to the local retirement home and recruit 9 players to beat my DD's college team. They are on the road today and just beat a school 14-0..................my first thought was "WOW, there's actually a team out there worse than us"!! :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RB, no one whizzed in my cheerios. I was taking a position that you don't agree with and you said that you wish those HS folks would stay out. I'm a former HS coach. I often post on the benefits of HS softball. So, I thought it was directed at me. If not, I apologize.

BTW, never liked Cheerios. They gave me cheerio breath and nothing can be worse than someone with cheerio breath. Well, nothing except if someone whizzed in your cheerios. :D

Dec 7, 2011
RB, no one whizzed in my cheerios. I was taking a position that you don't agree with and you said that you wish those HS folks would stay out. I'm a former HS coach. I often post on the benefits of HS softball. So, I thought it was directed at me. If not, I apologize.

BTW, never liked Cheerios. They gave me cheerio breath and nothing can be worse than someone with cheerio breath. Well, nothing except if someone whizzed in your cheerios. :D

Ohhh - I see what yer sayin - No my "stay quiet" request again was only targeted at those who don't or can't distinguish between a local TB-B or C with the levels of what is seen in TB-A. Some folks think all TB is the same. THAT amazes me and THOSE people I don't want to hear from

I haven't seen anybody exhibit that ignorance here - yet ;-)

Jul 31, 2011
TB-A, although I'm sure there are some benefits to playing both. My daughter chooses not to play HS ball. I don't think that choice negatively affects her.

Dec 7, 2011
TB-A, although I'm sure there are some benefits to playing both. My daughter chooses not to play HS ball. I don't think that choice negatively affects her.

It would be interesting to hear the deliberations of a college coaching staff in reviewing candidates on this. I want to believe this wouldn't affect her chances too but jeesh the "school folks" they stick together like some sort of secret society......

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
TB-A would almost always win due to the depth of pitching and 2 or 3 top hitters. Probably, and this is just a guess, the rest of the lineup would be similar between good HS teams and TB Teams. Also, the need for many HS to play a younger player up would have an impact. For example, mine and others from this site starting Varsity as freshmen. Although I realize that most of these young ladies do play up at an early age, imo, they aren't the main cogs on their teams. When my dd started playing up 16U and 18U, she was important to the team in the circle but, to be honest, they had a great defense and lineup without her.

Again, I know none of our areas are the same. Amy is from an area in my state that has legendary HS and TB softball as well as legendary coaches. So, I know she understands how serious softball is here. As an FYI, the young lady who eliminated my HS last year is the young lady who was the SEC Pitcher of the Week two weeks in a row this year.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
RB, what has been your personal experience with HS ball? Likes, dislikes? How good/bad to they compete? What does your daughter think of it?

I'm just curious too. I like hearing other's opinions.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It would be interesting to hear the deliberations of a college coaching staff in reviewing candidates on this. I want to believe this wouldn't affect her chances too but jeesh the "school folks" they stick together like some sort of secret society......

If I were a college coach, I'd ask why she didn't play high school ball.

Most answers would be fine, but it's still worth asking because it will shed light on the player's mindset, and you might get an answer that would lead to more questions, like, "Me and the coach didn't get along.''

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
No doubt about it my DD's TB team would beat her high school team. We drive up the road to the bigger schools with over 300 kids per grade and I am not so sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01