Poll : HS vs TB-A

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
The majority of the folks that think that their HS team could do well at Nationals have not seen a good ASA Gold team.
That is why I phrased the question like I did. I would hope that those HS-based folks that do not know the difference between a local TB-B or C team made up of ALL levels of skill of HS players and a TB-A team would "stay quiet" on this survey/poll. (I am probably dreaming on expecting this,.....but I did....)

Note that in my state we HAVE a HS team that consistently produces state-bound teams WITHOUT a TB-A pitcher. But in this case the coaching is just absolutely awesome. (displaying the diversity of HS coaching that is out there)

Apr 1, 2010
TB-A, but in our metro area, as knightsb mentioned, some HS teams are very good, some aren't.

IMO, if you were choosing a team by throwing darts at the list of local TB-A teams and the list of local HS teams, your odds would definitely be better with the TB-A teams.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not to try to add to this discussion since I have now been asked to not participate but I thought that the question was about TB-A. Who mentioned top teams in the nations TG-A or Gold or ... That wasn't in the OP.

Per my HS team, I had two play Gold. My dd and the pitcher who is her room mate at a top ranked D-II school. I my silliness, I was comparing local TB-A with local HS. Heck, I didn't know you wanted to compare national championship TB-A with local HS. No chance in heck that HS competes. Then again, most of TB-A wouldn't compete as well with that caliber team. BTW, just because your team makes it to ASA Nationals doesn't mean that they are some end all be all in softball. In our experience, we've run in to a few teams over the years that had no business being in these types of tournaments and yet, the parents and program can brag that they played in this or that event.

I'll back out now since I'm ruining the conversation. :cool: Why have anyone take any position other than the elites position and try to have a discussion.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Note that in my state we HAVE a HS team that consistently produces state-bound teams WITHOUT a TB-A pitcher. But in this case the coaching is just absolutely awesome. (displaying the diversity of HS coaching that is out there)

That is the mark of a great HS program. If you can put together a fundamentally sound team that can hit and field you can be very successful with only a competent pitcher who can keep the ball down and not walk people.

Dec 7, 2011
Not to try to add to this discussion since I have now been asked to not participate but I thought that the question was about TB-A. Who mentioned top teams in the nations TG-A or Gold or ... That wasn't in the OP.

Per my HS team, I had two play Gold. My dd and the pitcher who is her room mate at a top ranked D-II school. I my silliness, I was comparing local TB-A with local HS. Heck, I didn't know you wanted to compare national championship TB-A with local HS. No chance in heck that HS competes. Then again, most of TB-A wouldn't compete as well with that caliber team. BTW, just because your team makes it to ASA Nationals doesn't mean that they are some end all be all in softball. In our experience, we've run in to a few teams over the years that had no business being in these types of tournaments and yet, the parents and program can brag that they played in this or that event.

I'll back out now since I'm ruining the conversation. :cool: Why have anyone take any position other than the elites position and try to have a discussion.

Wow - who wizzed in yer cheerios....? Maybe I missed that conflict....

My opinion TB-A includes "gold" label distinction which I personally feel has been dilluted too. A "Gold" team these days may not even get to Sunday in a regional "nationals" tourney (and might get laughed out of a select national gold tourney inquiry). Basically what I am saying is that "gold" cannot be determined by a teams label anymore - it is determined by what select tourneys they qualify for or get into. Maybe they should do like Visa and have "Platinum" teams,.... LOL....

I tried to exclude the "going to nationals but have no business being there" teams by proclaiming the phrase "and COMPETE" in my original argument.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
RB, I'm sure there must be some reason why you would ask such a question in your original post? Comparing "normal" HS softball to A class ball is like apples to oranges. Out of the 100+ HS in Tennessee, there are only about 4-5 I'd enter in a serious TB type tournament.

Dec 7, 2011
That is the mark of a great HS program. If you can put together a fundamentally sound team that can hit and field you can be very successful with only a competent pitcher who can keep the ball down and not walk people.

Absolutely!

The pitcher just consistently chewed away at the lower outside corner. She did this VERY consistently. This was backed up by ZERO holes in the defense. The offense had ZERO good TB-A-type swings (you know - the scary gonna hurt 3rd baseman types of swings). All "girl swings" in fact (sorry - no better way to put that...) BUT up and down the line-up they can put the ball in play that eventually wore down other hs defenses.

It was/is a thing of beauty really.....

Of course the downside (that does happen) is that these players from this hs organization, and the clueless community newspapers, get shocked when the players from this team get their D1 goals limited to low D2 and D3. (again, this is all fine if that's what they want - but I know some folks equate hs success to "I am D1!)

Dec 7, 2011
RB, I'm sure there must be some reason why you would ask such a question in your original post? Comparing "normal" HS softball to A class ball is like apples to oranges. Out of the 100+ HS in Tennessee, there are only about 4-5 I'd enter in a serious TB type tournament.

See my thread #11 - maybe you missed that?

I honestly am just trying to see the profile of HS/TB across this BIG nation.

I stumble on myself too many times when I generalize to what I see in my little world.

I am just trying to see what others see - nothing more.

I used to get all excited about "HS has stronger sb" vs "TB has stronger sb".

Now I just want to learn :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Absolutely!

The pitcher just consistently chewed away at the lower outside corner. She did this VERY consistently. This was backed up by ZERO holes in the defense. The offense had ZERO good TB-A-type swings (you know - the scary gonna hurt 3rd baseman types of swings). All "girl swings" in fact (sorry - no better way to put that...) BUT up and down the line-up they can put the ball in play that eventually wore down other hs defenses.

It was/is a thing of beauty really.....

I have developed some dominant pitchers and one of the things that has made them dominant is their willingness to stick with something when it works. If the curve is on then put it on the river where they look or miss. Leave it there until they figure it out which more often than not never happens. If they do find another spot. When you throw a great pitch to the same spot, they know it is coming, and still can't hit that is the definition of domination.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207