Poll : HS vs TB-A

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
My daughter, while participating in showcase events and college recruitment events, has been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to talk with several college coaches about her situation. Overall, the reception has been positive from coaches who have seen her play. One thing I have observed is that, after validating a player's skills, the coach wants to validate grades and the ability of a player to survive scholastically in college. At the showcases she has attended the college coaches watch her skills, then talk about academics. School ball never comes up. My daughter always mentions it to be up front in case there's an issue. There has never been an issue. The discussion of why my daughter doesn't play school ball is much easier than several players I have watched trying to justify a poor academic record.

That's cool.

I second your statements about the level of scrutiny given towards evaluating the candidate in their probability to "up" the GPA of the team. I was surprised how much of a factor that this was in ALL the looks DD got from colleges (note my DD's "looks" were from mid-D1 on down - maybe the big D1's just don't care....?)

Dec 7, 2011
The OP did not ask which was better softball. He asked which was more difficult/challenging *for the player*.

I still am always confused about people asking this question...HS ball is different than TB. It is like asking if chocolate ice cream is better than apple pie.

My goal with this thread was to learn what folks see out there in this big country relative to the level of play in their HS team vs their TB-A team.

I used to think "How can HS ever be a better level of play than HS?!?!" but through the arguments I have seen on this site from some folks it appears that in some (I would guess) heavily populated BIG softball cities in big softball states some HS teams actually get to be a better level of play than their TB-A teams. Is this due to the dilution of talent through too many TB teams...? Other factors..?

Just wanted to explore this area I am curious on.

I agree that HS & TB-A ARE two different animals BUT they both play the same game and the level of play should be discernable.

Dec 7, 2011
OK, lets take this further then. What parts of this assessment are true or false:

All TB-A Players will play major D-I : False -that's dope smokin
All TB-A Players will play D-I : False - Still smokin that stuff from Oregon & Colorado....
All TB-A Players CAN play college ball : True (given) - if they want to and have good grades and attitudes
All HS Players who are not playing TB-A are incapable of playing TB-A : False - I have seen great players for whatever reason choosing not to play TB-A

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
All TB-A Players will play D-I : False - Still smokin that stuff from Oregon & Colorado....
All TB-A Players CAN play college ball : True (given) - if they want to and have good grades and attitudes
All HS Players who are not playing TB-A are incapable of playing TB-A : False - I have seen great players for whatever reason choosing not to play TB-A

RB, you cracked me up with dope smoking. :) I would agree exactly as you mentioned.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

That would be Washington and Colorado.... we haven't passed that law yet :)

Dec 7, 2011
That would be Washington and Colorado.... we haven't passed that law yet :)

C'mon, let's be real,...everyone west of Nebraska is puffin a fattie, daily,.......am I right or am I right?
;-)

Oh and for the record - like our respectful previous president - "I never really inhaled".....

Thanks for the correction though :cool:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I suspect that the size of the HS plays a significant role. Bigger school, bigger talent pool, more competition to make a team. Might be interesting to do a poll on HS (9-12th grade) size. DD's was 750, which put them in 2nd smallest of 4 classes in CT.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Most years our high School could play any TB-A team with a very good chance of winning. Usually our HS is all TB players who practice together 5 days a week is HS with very good coaching. In a tourney against TB-A we would struggle because pitching would not go deep enough.

Mar 12, 2014
In this area HS players do not get the exposure select/TB teams do. Without a doubt, TB is where it's at here in TX.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My HS is 1,100. However, we play a schedule where half of our games are against schools of 2,000+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207