Politics in high school softball suck!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For my dd's senior year, I was the head coach of the HS softball team. I brought 24 years of coaching experience (HS Baseball but also several years of travel ball softball) to the table, private hitting lesson (both baseball and softball) experience and experience being a clinician and speaker at various coaching clinics for coaches. I was told none of that mattered and I would receive a whopping $2,500. Had this been baseball, they would have counted all of my experience and I would have received more than double that.

CB, does this come out of school funds or booster club or a mix? Ours is a mix.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB, does this come out of school funds or booster club or a mix? Ours is a mix.

School funds. We have a "tiered system" where I teach. So, a flat pay for first year and they considered me a first year coach. However, you get small increases for 3 years. Decent increase 3 and 4. Then, you get vested years where you can do ok. As the head boy's coach and given experience for the years I coached in another school, I did well as a baseball coach. However, make no mistake, if I didn't produce, I would be fired and quickly. I'll never forget my first coaches meeting at my present school. I was introduced and then the AD and Principal made it clear to all there that I had expectations and if I didn't meet them, I'd be out the door. Made the welcoming rather special. Keep in mind that in my state back then, you couldn't get tenure until 4 years and so I could have been fired without reason. Now, there is no tenure in our state and so, we can be let go at any time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think many HS coaches are doing it for the money. And, given many of today's helicopter parents and entitled kids combined with "pay for play" participation fees and unsupportive athletic directors, I believe there are a lot of good coaches that chose to pass on HS sports and coach travel/AAU exclusively.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
" However, make no mistake, if I didn't produce, I would be fired and quickly." quote from a few posts back, and i neglected to add the AD's comments
I would only be happy if everyone in charge of hiring and supposedly coaching, had an interest that they would see that proper programs were put in place, and i think that is the case in some communities but for those of us that do not have , i would be embarrassed to take the field if i did not have pitchers or a pitcher that was trained and had a level of experience, here the school board does not care. As far as the pay it i believe it is in the 2500 range but inh this case should be a volunteer, sad.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
" However, make no mistake, if I didn't produce, I would be fired and quickly." quote from a few posts back, and i neglected to add the AD's comments
I would only be happy if everyone in charge of hiring and supposedly coaching, had an interest that they would see that proper programs were put in place, and i think that is the case in some communities but for those of us that do not have , i would be embarrassed to take the field if i did not have pitchers or a pitcher that was trained and had a level of experience, here the school board does not care. As far as the pay it i believe it is in the 2500 range but inh this case should be a volunteer, sad.

Oct 10, 2011
Just recently our Varsity Coach asked if anyone would want to sponsor the team and he'd put large banners on the fence for the first time. They really want to buy a high end pitching machine. I didn't say anything at the moment and am still considering it because it is good exposure (the field is placed perfectly for everyone driving by to see the banners), plus I like helping. However, a few years ago my company bought all the uniforms for Rec ball, and it was amazing how many people said my DD got special treatment because of it. She had a perfect on base average that fall but I guess that didn't matter. Anyway, we've heard that some of the older girls are already talking smack about the incoming class, so I thought I'd wait until she was placed on JV or Varsity so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

Apr 11, 2012
Just recently our Varsity Coach asked if anyone would want to sponsor the team and he'd put large banners on the fence for the first time. They really want to buy a high end pitching machine. I didn't say anything at the moment and am still considering it because it is good exposure (the field is placed perfectly for everyone driving by to see the banners), plus I like helping. However, a few years ago my company bought all the uniforms for Rec ball, and it was amazing how many people said my DD got special treatment because of it. She had a perfect on base average that fall but I guess that didn't matter. Anyway, we've heard that some of the older girls are already talking smack about the incoming class, so I thought I'd wait until she was placed on JV or Varsity so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

I will back up a little....it's your money, and help if you want to and don't worry about what others say, if it's a honest act. There's is nothing wrong with that if you are just doing to help the program and expect nothing in return. It's the evil parents out there who actually ARE trying to buy "favors" from coaches that cuase all the drama. I'm going to go all "Country Boy" on those folks....as I "hate" and have no respect for anyone who does that. I do have lots of respect for those people who are in a postion financially who can help the entire group, and do, and only ask for advertising for the their company in return....

Speaking of "Country Boy"....I hope he has calmed down some....he was pretty pissed at all parents a few days ago and wasn't letting up any....maybe a parent of a medicore TB freshman wrathed him out some and went all "Scanners" on us and his head exploded or something....

Apr 11, 2012
Sorry if I started something bad. Our coach did win state and he has to know something about the game to accomplish that. My frustration is the politics. My daughter has been offered three D1 partial scholarships this week since we went to a more competitive travel team. I am thankful for her great attitude and God given talent. And she says she will play this year in high school. But next year on signing day it will be worth being with her friends and memories of high school. I appreciate that I am not alone in this. Its just we all like our daughters getting some kind of chance to shine locally. She will probably come back and take a coaching job herself and remember this when she coaches. I really like other high school coaches and have been one myself.[/B] And I am probably more emotional because it is my daughter getting the shaft. And my daughter made the girls on JV feel good about winning all their games together and they had great times. And I understand its for school team and spirit etc...

let me ay it again....this has been the most interesting thread on here for months....and a real issue for alot of parents and players who have other less talented kids playing in front of them because of tyranny and special interest....it's a tough lesson for people and especially kids....so you don't have to apoligize for anything....we all should be thanking you for talking about something real....maybe you get some more "dead horse" comments from people who are still making posts themselves....

Are you going to have your DD sign her NLI at the school with the coach present?

Apr 1, 2010
Sorry if I started something bad. Our coach did win state and he has to know something about the game to accomplish that. My frustration is the politics. My daughter has been offered three D1 partial scholarships this week since we went to a more competitive travel team. I am thankful for her great attitude and God given talent. And she says she will play this year in high school. But next year on signing day it will be worth being with her friends and memories of high school. I appreciate that I am not alone in this. Its just we all like our daughters getting some kind of chance to shine locally. She will probably come back and take a coaching job herself and remember this when she coaches. I really like other high school coaches and have been one myself.[/B] And I am probably more emotional because it is my daughter getting the shaft. And my daughter made the girls on JV feel good about winning all their games together and they had great times. And I understand its for school team and spirit etc...

Please don't be sorry. This has been a great thread: very interesting, with many different points of view. Thank you for sharing your DD's story with us and good luck to her!

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
There are so many interesting comments here, i know a lot of people involved in sports experience many of these issues, just so others may view a lot of these issues, i have passed the web link onto a friend of mine, see if a candle glows? Lots of good stuff here!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA