Politics in high school softball suck!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I guess it's beginning with us. Last night a lady in the neighborhood asked how our DD was doing in softball and if she was excited for tryouts. Her daughters used to babysit mine. DW told her that the Varsity coach called us and asked to meet my DD. This woman who's daughter plays varsity in 11th grade got really ticked off. She said DD would be miserable and would never see the field and she should stay on JV. This lady's DD is quite good and plays on a very good gold team. Why would she be so mad? My DD might not even make the varsity team so chill woman!

She is jealous because the varsity coach never called her house to ask to meet her dd when she was a frosh.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Why would she be so mad?

She called, not to be friendly, but to see if their was anything that she could do to be nosey. I have learned (and it took awhile) not to give out any more information than is necessary.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Politics

Apparently Wi is not the only to see the same issues.
"
The youth programs here begin in April go through July and are the "spring board" for fast pitch and baseball. Season is over.

Especially in fast pitch there is NO ONE that understands or can teach pitching.

So the now HS coach has 2 DD's neither have been taught any mechanics, but both are the starting throwers.

Everyone here knows that my oldest GRAND D, "throws harder" but due to the HS coach and another they torched her for 2 years after we worked to get her started as 5th grader. Up until a week ago i did not know if she was even going out.

The funny part is i have shown all these what to do to start out, teach the kids how to pitch, but do you suppose they will do it?

The sad part is ruining kids lives for the sake of their own, if they were better, no issue, they deserve to be there.

And as someone earlier mentioned,
'' administration you know where that is going."' If i were 30 years younger, i would be in the middle, but when they say, the coach is already decided, you will have to accept that, that just shows lack of interest or integrity.

It's to bad there are not standards that all would have to comply with to teach the right fundamentals, then if the kids all are on an even scale, there should not be as many issues, just keep the POLITICS out.

GL

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
The bad thing about this forum is that, with as big as it is, many of us know players that are legitimately studs and bound for D1. Those players are the exception to the rule in almost every case. They are once in a lifetime players. Most parents think they are their DD.

Most freshmen TB players have D1 scholarship dreams. The reality of it is that few truly have the talent. Before you rail on me for being ignorant, let's do the math.

There are 283 D1 schools offering softball with at most 12 scholarships/ school for a maximum total of 3,396 scholarships. If you assume that the scholarships are divided amongst 4 classes, that leaves approximately 849 scholarships open each year. (Doesn't account for redshirts or dropouts, but it's close). There are 1.3 Million ASA players. Add in NSA and USSSA. Probably an easy 1.5M total softball players. Let's assume only 2% are graduating seniors. That's 30000 players. 849 scholarships. Even really, really good players will not receive a scholarship.

Clearly, there are D2 schools and JC's that offer scholarships. But few girls dream of those schools. Most dream of FL, ALA, AZ, UCLA, MI, OK, etc. For the vast, vast, majority (Nearly 99%), it's not going to happen.

If 2% of the 1.5M are seniors, I think it is probably safe to assume 10% are 15yr old freshmen. That is 150,000 players nation wide that will be competing for 849 scholarships in the class of 2016. Odds aren't getting any better, are they?

These are the things I know as a HS coach. While I am sure this will not happen to anyone on here, some of the incoming softball class of 2016 freshmen won't even play TB next year. Some won't play HS softball past next year. Some will be pregnant before they get a drivers license. Some will drink themselves out of the sport. Some will not maintain eligibility. A few will not live to their 18th birthday. Very few will truly draw any interest from a D1 coach. These are the facts that apply to the 99%.

You can argue that I am not supporting your daughter's dream. You'd be right. That's your job. My job, as with any educator, is to prepare your DD for the future. If that includes softball, great! But let's work to make sure it doesn't include alcohol, bad grades, death or babies in the next couple years. That's my dream for your DD.

With all that in mind, if you want to argue your DD is not playing due to politics or an ignorant HS Coach, have at it. Whatever it takes to make yourself feel better.

I don't think you are ignorant....just jaded.....and obviously the victim of living in an area where TB girls talent level is very poor and their coaches and parents are just un-realistic about their skill level....when some of the folks here shared some of those stories, it offended you because you want to defend fellow HS coaches....we get it.... but you fail to aknowledge there may be some injustices out there may be true and valid, so take your own advise and tell your self whatever you would like to also...oh, and BTW, the stats you quoted are readily available to everyone, and we all know only 3% of HS athletes play at the next level and that only 1% play D1....that information isn't just preevy to educators....keep in mind many D1 programs have "tuition-exemptions" for their players so everyone is equal and the players just have pay for room and board, so that stretches the scholarship stats a bit and makes those impossible odd numbers you were so kind to share with us simple-tons a little more obtainable. But I did like how you thought it made you smarter....I guess it did kinda.

I realize that there will be fall out and that not everyone's dreams will come true (it's always been that way and will continue) and some will settle for only "versions" of it. But someone is getting those scholarships and its educators like you that obviously make it a point to let them know it probably won't work out for them and the A+ program at the local junior college and a job at Perkins is the best they can ever hope for....well, tell that to the 30+ D1 players from Kansas City on this list as I don't think there are quite 3,000 18A & 16A players in town, that would be 230 teams with 13 players each for your national stats to work out right....and that's not counting all the D2 committments either....and that's not counting all the 2015 getting ready to committ either (like my DD)....the girls on this list are real and have worked hard to get to this point. Always remember, stats only tell you what "has" happened and only a indictor of what "might" happen....you veiw it as "likely" to happen which is understand and many would agree with you. But check the list out....

KC Metro Players - To which college are they headed? - KC Fastpitch

now I understand that Kansas City is a "hot bed" for girls softball with many college coaches looking for players and that it may be harder for girls in less populated areas or in places where softball competition may be pretty spread out....it's too bad that some TB girls with bad attitudes has spawned your hatered towards them and their parents and coaches. We all realize your job isn't to get them to college....but you are not fooling anybody, your job isn't to prepare them for life, it's to help avoid personal diaster for students and to get them out of your hair and life as quickly and painlessly as possible...but it should also be to win games for your employer (HS) and put the best players on the field....I'm not sure if you realize it, but that's been the whole point of this thread ....

May 14, 2010
CountryBoy makes good points, although I think his math might paint a picture that's too pessimistic.

There are 12 scholarships available, but they are spread among more than 12 players. I just checked six D-1 rosters at random, and they averaged 18 players.

Also, because of attrition, an average freshman class is probably closer to 6 players. So I’d estimate there are closer to 1,700 roster spots available in D-1 each year.

Meanwhile, there are 185,000 high school softball players nationwide. How many are seniors? Maybe half? If so, we're down to 92,500. How many of those seniors are travel players? Would you say half? If so, we're down to 41,250 travel ball players who are seniors on high school teams. Those 41,250 are vying for 1,700 D-1 roster spots.

That would mean 1 in 24 travel ball players who are HS seniors would make D-1 rosters.

Is that too optimistic?

I'll add that I'm not a parent who expects my DD to play D-1. Been around sports both high school and college long enough to know how rare that is.

Please keep in mind that D1 schools can offer up to 12 scholarships. Many choose not to, for financial reasons. I don't have the energy or resources (Or desire) to calculate exact numbers.

We can argue specifics all we want. The fact is that it is a huge dream. A dream that many 14 yr old's parents assume will happen if the HS coach would just get out of their way...

Please keep in mind that D1 schools can offer up to 12 scholarships. Many choose not to, for financial reasons. I don't have the energy or resources (Or desire) to calculate exact numbers.

We can argue specifics all we want. The fact is that it is a huge dream. A dream that many 14 yr old's parents assume will happen if the HS coach would just get out of their way...

I think what we are missing is that not all high schools and not all TB teams are created equal. There are some elite travel ball teams where every girl get some kind of college help, that does not mean full ride but they get something. The reason is because those TB teams only take the best players and those TB coaches make connections with colleges (so if you are selected for one of those teams your dream is very realistic). On the other hand if you are in a TB organization that is not elite but just the local team someone put together from a rec team it is not the same thing (your dream is only that a dream). If you are on a HS team that has a student body of 2,500 students and is the 5A state champs in a state like Texas the odds are a lot of those girls will get a scholarship but the odds are they also play TB so there is no way to really count those kids.

In the end I think the vast majority of the time whether it is TB or HS individual talent will get noticed even if politics gets in the way....the biggest difference between TB and HS IMO is TB coaches while they do play politics are usually more interested in talent and are less likely to play games but anybody can give example of both sides so generalizations probably are not to good in this area and each case needs to be judged on its own merit.

Jan 25, 2011

Being, that I'm an AC I find it hard to believe a coach wouldn't try to help a kid, get a shot at a dream. Even if that girl falls somewhere in between Div2,3 or Junior college, some of those HS coaches need to get out of the way. Last year some of the things being said and taught by HS coaches, was laughable, they couldn't tell talent if it hit them along side the head. Counrty Boy, you do sound a little angry, I have to question why you are even coaching at this point? I'm only judging you by what you have written and it sounds a little bitter. Sorry if it isn't attended that way, but it comes off that way.

May 14, 2010
I don't think you are ignorant....just jaded.....and obviously the victim of living in an area where TB girls talent level is very poor and their coaches and parents are just un-realistic about their skill level....when some of the folks here shared some of those stories, it offended you because you want to defend fellow HS coaches....we get it.... but you fail to aknowledge there may be some injustices out there may be true and valid, so take your own advise and tell your self whatever you would like to also...oh, and BTW, the stats you quoted are readily available to everyone, and we all know only 3% of HS athletes play at the next level and that only 1% play D1....that information isn't just preevy to educators....keep in mind many D1 programs have "tuition-exemptions" for their players so everyone is equal and the players just have pay for room and board, so that stretches the scholarship stats a bit and makes those impossible odd numbers you were so kind to share with us simple-tons a little more obtainable. But I did like how you thought it made you smarter....I guess it did kinda.

I realize that there will be fall out and that not everyone's dreams will come true (it's always been that way and will continue) and some will settle for only "versions" of it. But someone is getting those scholarships and its educators like you that obviously make it a point to let them know it probably won't work out for them and the A+ program at the local junior college and a job at Perkins is the best they can ever hope for....well, tell that to the 30+ D1 players from Kansas City on this list as I don't think there are quite 3,000 18A & 16A players in town, that would be 230 teams with 13 players each for your national stats to work out right....and that's not counting all the D2 committments either....and that's not counting all the 2015 getting ready to committ either (like my DD)....the girls on this list are real and have worked hard to get to this point. Always remember, stats only tell you what "has" happened and only a indictor of what "might" happen....you veiw it as "likely" to happen which is understand and many would agree with you. But check the list out....

KC Metro Players - To which college are they headed? - KC Fastpitch

now I understand that Kansas City is a "hot bed" for girls softball with many college coaches looking for players and that it may be harder for girls in less populated areas or in places where softball competition may be pretty spread out....it's too bad that some TB girls with bad attitudes has spawned your hatered towards them and their parents and coaches. We all realize your job isn't to get them to college....but you are not fooling anybody, your job isn't to prepare them for life, it's to help avoid personal diaster for students and to get them out of your hair and life as quickly and painlessly as possible...but it should also be to win games for your employer (HS) and put the best players on the field....I'm not sure if you realize it, but that's been the whole point of this thread ....

Actually, I believe the whole point of this thread is for parents to vent about the HS coaches holding back their precious DD. I tried to point out that the typical precious DD isn't as destined for D1 as Mom wants to believe. (You can argue the specific numbers if you want. Knock yourself out.)

The OP was about a player that didn't make varsity her Freshmen or Sophomore year. If I read it corectly, the team played in or won state both years without that player on the varsity roster. It appears that the coach of that team: A. Won games and B. Played some pretty good players. So by your definition, that's coach doing a pretty good job. I'm finding it pretty hard to fault him or her. Yet that post has led to 12 pages made up mostly of bashing HS coaches and programs.

My job is to win and put the best team on the field. I do that to the best of my ability. I pick the best players on the basis of their skill level. Not their Mommy's perception of their skill level. Why is that so hard to grasp? Isn't that how a TB coach picks a team? Why is it assumed that the only reason a player doesn't make a HS varsity roster is because of politics? Why is it so hard to accept that there might be really talented players ahead of your DD's?

My final attempt at a point is this: HS coaches are not perfect. But it probably doesn't matter. There are very few opportunities to get D1 scholarships. If your DD is that talented, committed and that extraordinary, she will find her way to 1. In spite of the HS coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish