Value of staying on JV

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I understand the theories behind whether to sit the bench on Varsity or enjoy more playing time on JV. But I wonder what value that playing time provides when you’re facing freshmen pitchers that you already had success with last year as a freshman? Isn’t playing in less challenging situations just glorified practice? Doesn’t real growth happen during intensive practice and being coached by long time Varsity coaches over a JV coaching staff that literally changes every year? Is it just a myth that playing time on JV is more valuable than the overall Varsity experience? I happen to believe that immersion in the mindset of a Varsity level team has its place and is much more likely to instill drive and confidence while being among college committed seniors. Am I way off here? Yeah, it will be painful sitting the bench but she’s been told she would get pinch running duties at least. They just don’t want that to be all she gets. I say, work hard, learn and take your chances with playing time. Of course it’s her decision to make but my perception is, going back to JV is going backwards.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
In our state (Wisconsin) players can suit up for both teams, JV and Varsity as long as they don’t play more than a full game. I don’t know if that is an option where you’re at.

She could do the pinch running possibly play an inning or two and then play part of the JV game. Our High School team does a lot of this.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Isn’t playing in less challenging situations just glorified practice?
More or less, yes.

Doesn’t real growth happen during intensive practice and being coached by long time Varsity coaches over a JV coaching staff that literally changes every year?
Depends upon how good the Varsity coach is. Some are good, some aren't.
Is it just a myth that playing time on JV is more valuable than the overall Varsity experience?
I've never heard that. Playing on Varsity in HS is "real competition."

I happen to believe that immersion in the mindset of a Varsity level team has its place and is much more likely to instill drive and confidence while being among college committed seniors. Am I way off here?
She is a sophomore. It doesn't really matter. I doubt she is going to suddenly realize "Wow, I've got a work hard."

Yeah, it will be painful sitting the bench but she’s been told she would get pinch running duties at least.

Honestly, she needs to have fun. Playing is more fun than sitting.

It's obvious that she doesn't have a real place on the Varsity team. She isn't going to take anyone's place, so she is going to spend a lot of time on the bench.

There are only so many years of playing softball, and then it's over.

Oct 3, 2019
More or less, yes.

Depends upon how good the Varsity coach is. Some are good, some aren't.

I've never heard that. Playing on Varsity in HS is "real competition."

She is a sophomore. It doesn't really matter. I doubt she is going to suddenly realize "Wow, I've got a work hard."

Honestly, she needs to have fun. Playing is more fun than sitting.

It's obvious that she doesn't have a real place on the Varsity team. She isn't going to take anyone's place, so she is going to spend a lot of time on the bench.

There are only so many years of playing softball, and then it's over.
Well, she started playing at 12yrs so, we’re hoping for a couple more years at least. She has worked hard to even get where’s she’s at, not adverse to that at all.
And yes, Varsity coach is incredible. She’s been doing it for 15 years. All “places” were given to returning Seniors and Juniors who are ineligible for JV. She will be CF next year.

Mar 8, 2016
Ask her what she wants to do. For most kids, playing is more fun. For other, the prestige of being on varsity is more important. She needs to decide which she would rather do if the coaches give her the option. If they have communicated to her that her role will be to pinch run, that is probably what she will mostly do.
There are skills that can really only be learned playing. For outfield these include: being ready every pitch, paying attention to the running speed of the runners on base, making the split second decision to throw home or to second, etc. For kids used to time limit travel ball games, 7 inning games are a shock.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
It's up to the kid but in my opinion kids play the game because they love to play. Playing on JV is not going to help the long term career but you only get 4 years of HS to play. Some might play college but others that's it.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Believe developing relationships with teammates at the age is very important and that playing will do more to accomplish that.

May 27, 2022
- Is getting at bats in JV better than no at bats in V only?
- Did she bat 1.000 last year in JV?
- Is she able to practice with V to get to know coaches expectations?

I would encourage her to do both. I would use the JV playing time as a change to develop a "your the best player out there and need to lead the team that way" mentality and, as you mentioned, use the V practices and (limited) playing time to understand the challenges and expectations against better competition.

AND, I would take your ego out of the equation (a lesson I am still forced to re-learn from time to time)

At the end of the story, do you have any say in the matter or is it purely up to the coach?

Oct 26, 2019
As someone who has coached at the JV and varsity level for quite a while, the kids usually want to make the varsity team and then after a few weeks of sitting the bench are begging me to play in some JV games. Varsity sounds fun until you realize you aren’t going to play. The number of kids that are in the transfer portal is further proof.

Oct 26, 2019
- Is getting at bats in JV better than no at bats in V only?
- Did she bat 1.000 last year in JV?
- Is she able to practice with V to get to know coaches expectations?

I would encourage her to do both. I would use the JV playing time as a change to develop a "your the best player out there and need to lead the team that way" mentality and, as you mentioned, use the V practices and (limited) playing time to understand the challenges and expectations against better competition.

AND, I would take your ego out of the equation (a lesson I am still forced to re-learn from time to time)

At the end of the story, do you have any say in the matter or is it purely up to the coach?
Not saying that ego is the issue with the OP, but it is very true a lot of times. Last night I was talking to a dad who was saying he hopes his daughter makes the varsity team at tryouts next week and not the JV team. He said “we“ have worked hard for this.

The “we” really stuck with me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles