Please wear your facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Last nights rec ball game. The pitcher does not own a facemask. Because of the caliber of players we have on our rec team the coach of our team called "time out" and let the pitcher borrow a facemask from our team. So glad we had a smart coach to do that. My dd is the batter. The pitcher threw her a cookie and results were instant. My dd felt really bad when it happened. We actually had snacks that night so we gave up my dd's snack to give to her. Pitcher is fine. She continued to pitch the next two innings. However this could have been a lot more tragic.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
When I played high school ball, not too long ago, wearing facemasks was not all that common in our area. We played a game against a pitcher who did wear one and our team joked about it a little bit as she warmed up for the first inning. To start the game our lead off hitter got on base and stole 2nd before our 2nd hitter hit a screaming line drive that deflected off the pitcher's facemask. The ball was hit so hard our runner on 2nd ended up tagging on the play before advancing because there was a legitimate possibility the Right Fielder was going to have a chance to catch the ball after the deflection.

Even with the mask they ended up taking the pitcher to the hospital and no more jokes about facemasks were made by our team that season.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
A screaming line drive happens in less than a blink of an eye. My oldest dd took one off her knee cap a couple years ago.... We heard 3 distinct pops instantly, the bat, her knee, then the backstop.... As her dad, it was indescribable watching her fall in agony clutching her knee. Had it been her face, it would have been so much worse. Fractured patella and the summer on crutches. Wear your mask

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
A screaming line drive happens in ess than a blink of an eye. My oldest dd took one off her knee cap a couple years ago.... We heard 3 distinct pops instantly, the bat, her knee, then the backstop.... As her dad, it was indescribable watching her fall in agony clutching her knee. Had it been her face, it would have been so much worse. Fractured patella and the summer on crutches. Wear your mask

In the fall, my 10u DD took a screaming line drive straight back to her crotch (right on the pubic bone). I completely agree with you that hearing that crack when the ball hits your DD, watching her drop to the ground in agony, and hearing her scream out in pain is absolutely horrifying. We do everything we can to prevent that from possibly happening again. She always wore a mask, but now she also wears an Evoshield chest guard and Shock Doctor sliding shorts with a female pelvic protector. None of these things seem to bother her or affect her pitching performance at all. Coach James, I'm glad that your DD's knee healed up and that she is OK. Just curious, how difficult was it mentally for her to get back to pitching after being hit? My DD will likely never get hit in the same spot again, but the Shock Doctor has been essential to giving her the confidence to get back on the mound. We're definitely still working on the confidence and the mental aspect of that hit, though.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In the fall, my 10u DD took a screaming line drive straight back to her crotch (right on the pubic bone). I completely agree with you that hearing that crack when the ball hits your DD, watching her drop to the ground in agony, and hearing her scream out in pain is absolutely horrifying. We do everything we can to prevent that from possibly happening again. She always wore a mask, but now she also wears an Evoshield chest guard and Shock Doctor sliding shorts with a female pelvic protector. None of these things seem to bother her or affect her pitching performance at all. Coach James, I'm glad that your DD's knee healed up and that she is OK. Just curious, how difficult was it mentally for her to get back to pitching after being hit? My DD will likely never get hit in the same spot again, but the Shock Doctor has been essential to giving her the confidence to get back on the mound. We're definitely still working on the confidence and the mental aspect of that hit, though.
She pitched again that fall with no noticeable fears of getting hit. Her reaction time maybe went up a notch... She has lingering pain in her knee, Dr. says its arthritis. She's now a full time 3rd baseman and hasn't pitched for nearly 2 years...but the reason is for different issues. Like your dd, she's in a mask, an evoshield chest guard, and a compression knee sleeve.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
WM, thanks for the post. Yep, can happen anywhere, anytime.

In 12U last year, DD took one in the face at SS. Girl hit a rocket and the last bounce took a bad hop right into her jaw. Even with the mask, her jaw was sore for a couple weeks. I can only imagine what would have happened to her smile if she hadn't been wearing one.

Jun 12, 2015
My dd was only 7 when she took a ball to the chin at pitcher (grounder that bounced, not a line drive thank goodness) and it definitely impacted how she played for awhile. The face mask helped her regain her confidence, I'm 100% sure of that. She never steps foot on the field without it anymore, even if she's in the outfield.

Jul 15, 2015
We were playing this weekend. Team we played against had a 3rd basemen that didn't wear a mask. She ended up getting hit in the face. It was on a play at 3rd and the throw bounced off the runner. I don't understand parents allowing 10u girls on the field with no mask.

Jun 7, 2013
My DD when she was 11 took a ball off her face without a face mask. Trust me, you do not want that experience. Please have your DDs wear face masks.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Wow WM. Glad that girl was okay and the fact she borrowed a mask just prior makes an amazing story. I can't believe there has ever even been a debate on masks especially in D1 and good to see that people are coming around. As said so many times and ^^^^^ WEAR A MASK!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse