Please wear your facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
My daughter took one off the mask as a 12U playing up to 14U a couple seasons ago. SHE will not go on the field without a mask. She also wears the EvoShield molded shin guards and the EvoShield molded chest guard. With composite bats and high compression balls, there's no such thing as too cautious. Ever since that line drive, she still has a flinch factor when balls come back up the middle, but in my opinion, that's a good thing. Shows me that she's ready to react. It also taught her that the middle of the plate is the "No No" zone, regardless of the count. Balls pitched down the middle more often than not when hit, come back up the middle.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My daughter took one off the mask as a 12U playing up to 14U a couple seasons ago. SHE will not go on the field without a mask. She also wears the EvoShield molded shin guards and the EvoShield molded chest guard. With composite bats and high compression balls, there's no such thing as too cautious. Ever since that line drive, she still has a flinch factor when balls come back up the middle, but in my opinion, that's a good thing. Shows me that she's ready to react. It also taught her that the middle of the plate is the "No No" zone, regardless of the count. Balls pitched down the middle more often than not when hit, come back up the middle.

Just ordered these last night. DD took a line drive off her left shin during a high school scrimmage last week. She is still hobbling around.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Catchers wear protection against a ball travelling 30-75 MPH over a distance of around 35 feet. Glad to see that more pitchers are gearing up to protect themselves from that same ball, at the same distance, but coming hot off a $300 bat!

Add to this that the catcher is expecting the ball to come directly at her every time and has 1000's of reps in dealing with this. Whereas the pitcher is trying to pitch and gets minimal reps dealing with hot hits.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
DD had to move from behind the plate to the circle for HS ball this year, so I had to buy her a new mask, since she misplaced her's. She asked me, 'What, you don't like my mouth guard?" I told her the mouth guard does a great job protecting her teeth, but does nothing for her facial bones.