please critique DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2012
Anyone teaching "Squish the Bug" hitting is not being paid to coach, they are stealing someones money to screw kids up!

When you throw the ball do you "Squish the Bug"?

Aw bucketdad, I'm a Missouri boy so it's gonna be tough to convince me otherwise, but I do believe that hot 'Bama sun is causing you to warm up to me.

Jun 7, 2012
Aw bucketdad, I'm a Missouri boy so it's gonna be tough to convince me otherwise, but I do believe that hot 'Bama sun is causing you to warm up to me.

And by the way, we don't use "squish the bug" as an action to force the follow-through, we use it FOR SOME hitters as a reaction to the follow-through in order to maintain balance...helps some kids to "stay in the middle."

Jun 27, 2011
JBooth, What DD noticed is similar to what you said. You say rotate the front hip toward the plate, she noticed them rotating the rear hip away from the plate. She pointed out that on a lot of the batters she couldn't see the seam in the middle of their butt, then they loaded and she could see a little bit of the seam cause their butt rotated around toward the pitcher. I say it's the same because I don't see how you can rotate your front hip toward the plate unless you rotate your back hip away from it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One way to view it is with the cue to "show the pitcher your front pocket", which is basically a re-balancing of the body in a manner that closes off the frontside during the stride forward ... as in Forward-by-Coiling.

20pzpn8.gif

Sync of front-view & side-view ...
2q3veh1.gif

Jun 27, 2011
One way to view it is with the cue to "show the pitcher your front pocket", which is basically a re-balancing of the body in a manner that closes off the frontside during the stride forward ... as in Forward-by-Coiling.

20pzpn8.gif

Sync of front-view & side-view ...
2q3veh1.gif

That's the same thing she was noticing, she just described it differently. In order to see the front rear pocket you have to see the back butt. She just picked up on the back part in her description instead of the front part

May 16, 2010
JBooth, What DD noticed is similar to what you said. You say rotate the front hip toward the plate, she noticed them rotating the rear hip away from the plate. She pointed out that on a lot of the batters she couldn't see the seam in the middle of their butt, then they loaded and she could see a little bit of the seam cause their butt rotated around toward the pitcher. I say it's the same because I don't see how you can rotate your front hip toward the plate unless you rotate your back hip away from it.

Yes, it is two different was to describe it. It's also called cocking the hips, or coiling the hips, or closing the front side.

Turn in, and then push forward, is about the simplest way to describe it.

Load the back leg and unload it. Back foot to front foot, but always keep the head centered between the feet. It never goes beyond the center spot between the feet.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
If you teach this in the swing, as you have stated. The second picture you posted would be severe bat drag.

You want the hand stacked over the elbow in the swing. Or the hand alittle ahead of elbow when slotting.
You have to teach them how to slot the back arm with different pitch heights.

SL

The front hand restricts the back hand. Notice the direction the bat tips when his back elbow pokes back behind him. His back arm is trying to internally rotate but his front arm is restricting it.
Hosmer_Hands.gif

Here is Ted from behind:
Williams_Cs.gif

I see Cochran in this clip clearly using a sidearm throw motion. She is doing the same thing as Ted:
2449k0i.gif

The external rotation of the upper arm bone when we throw is what allows the elbow to work underneath the hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g