please critique DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
Ha, ha, ha. Sounds like somebody is bitter that he isn't paid to coach.

I don't think so. It's just that on this forum we talk about what actually occurs anatomically and according to the laws of physics, and according to what we see in slow motion video, NOT the "conventional wisdom" that isn't accurate.

Squish the bug is a follow through action, not a forced action
The shoulder DOES drop.
The barrel is NOT above the hands at contact.
The arms extend as a follow through action, not as a forced action, and they are not extended AT contact on most good swings. They extend before contact sometimes, if the hitter needs to reach for the ball.

I'd like you to show me an actual video of a swing where an MLB hitter is in the position below at contact. I don't think you can find one.

badextension.jpg

Albert actually thinks he does what is shown above, but below is what he really does, and on this forum we like to teach what we see, not what pros say, or think they do.

AlbertPujols_2006_HomeRun_018.jpg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If you haven't yet,Check out Megan1-Tee started by Immortal1.This is probably the most informative post (IMHO) and easy to understand for the average dad.This will help you understand the swing and how to go about teaching the proper swing sequence to your DD.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The back shoulder is supposed to drop.

Of course! I hate to hear people that start yelling "nice level swing!"

To the original poster, Have you been able to find any of Hitter's posts? (Howard Carrier) A lot of us here, respect him and echo his teachings. But, he has removed some of his instruction from the Internet. Many people here have copied what he writes and my have the info available.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Of course! I hate to hear people that start yelling "nice level swing!"

To the original poster, Have you been able to find any of Hitter's posts? (Howard Carrier) A lot of us here, respect him and echo his teachings. But, he has removed some of his instruction from the Internet. Many people here have copied what he writes and my have the info available.

Hey what about me, I know a 1/10th of what Howard knows:D

Sl

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Actually, some of us here have kids who play HS ball or have played HS ball in the past; and have found our HS coaches to be lacking in knowledge when it comes to teaching hitting. We don't want our kids being taught to hit like this:

View attachment 2118

Well
I agree, most here is not what we teach.

From foot closed or semi closed yes
Belly button to pitcher yes on the right pitch location. Outside pitch no.

Please show me a good hitter with barrel above hands

SL

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
I don't think so. It's just that on this forum we talk about what actually occurs anatomically and according to the laws of physics, and according to what we see in slow motion video, NOT the "conventional wisdom" that isn't accurate.

The shoulder DOES drop.
The arms extend as a follow through action, not as a forced action, and they are not extended AT contact on most good swings. They extend before contact sometimes, if the hitter needs to reach for the ball.

I'd like you to show me an actual video of a swing where an MLB hitter is in the position below at contact. I don't think you can find one.

badextension.jpg

More importantly, how does someone adjust with the "model swing" of that poster?

You might be able to find an MLB player in that position if we count Joe Thurston.

May 16, 2010
More importantly, how does someone adjust with the "model swing" of that poster?

You might be able to find an MLB player in that position if we count Joe Thurston.

I should have said successful MLB player. Thurston had one full year, 1 HR in 267 AB's and hit .225.
Even though he swings down too much, I doubt that Thurston has the hands and barrel like the picture. It's dang near impossible to swing a bat hard and have that position at contact.

Jan 13, 2012
I should have said successful MLB player. Thurston had one full year, 1 HR in 267 AB's and hit .225.
Even though he swings down too much, I doubt that Thurston has the hands and barrel like the picture. It's dang near impossible to swing a bat hard and have that position at contact.

Maybe Don Mattingly in his demonstration of how to swing... which (as I'm sure you know) goes against everything he actually did.
However, thinking to "swing down" or "swing level" is fine, if you have the mechanics to perform the correct action. I guess believing that they do something radically different from what they really do is helpful against live pitching.

Jun 7, 2012

The shoulder DOES drop.

badextension.jpg

Albert actually thinks he does what is shown above, but below is what he really does, and on this forum we like to teach what we see, not what pros say, or think they do.

AlbertPujols_2006_HomeRun_018.jpg

I think that's solid protocol; I think it's important to discuss what actually works for kids and not how professionals infuse these so-called tactics (and I'm guilty of name-dropping from the Doyle alumni list, so I apologize for that). Like I said earlier, I just had a kids who graduated who is one of the best young hitters I've ever seen (Morgan Maize going to DePaul). You will hear her name in the future, I guarantee...and when you see her open-stance swing with her step, you will be amazed by her ability to hit the ball. But guess what, her timing mechanism works for her, and in turn she pounds the ball with amazing authority. I would NEVER switch her approach...she was guided by her father, who is a travel coach himself, and it WORKS...and he knows his stuff. I would never say ONE hitting philosophy is the cure-all, and I don't think there is a hitting instructor out there that doesn't pick/choose and ADAPT in his/her approach to hitting. So please, don't think that I'm an ambassador to all things Doyle when it comes to hitting. I was simply trying to find an easy platform to begin a discussion about no-step rotational hitting (and yes, the BEST player I've ever coached, Morgan Maize, is NOT a no-step, rotational hitter...Google her to check out her numbers and accolades...follow her next year at DePaul). But the no-step rotational approach is an easy way to get kids to use their hips while maintaining balance. Here I go again, but Albert doesn't step does he? I have to watch your clip again.

Yes, the squish of the bug is taught as a follow-through action, not a forced action...completely agree and that's how we teach it..it's the last thing we do with the lower-body, and it allows us to maintain balance at the end of our swing.

Yes, when I used the phrase "back shoulder drop" I was alluding to a "hitch." I apologize for getting lost in translation on that. Anatomically, I agree that the back shoulder drops when swinging.

I get it...I've seen terrible coaches on both sides of the baseline (high school and travel), but there are actually a handful of high school coaches who run travel teams too and get things done the right way. And there are actually some decent high school coaches who work really well with both travel ball coaches and parents on ensuring their "shared" kids get great college scholarships. But as I said, I get it...I remember being burned a time or two during high school from a particular coach.

Thanks for the input about posting...I am new to this blog, and I apologize for posting all over the place. I realize that's distracting.

Last edited: