Player Ejected-College Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
You seem to have missed the part where she wasn't talking to the umpires.

Now, we don't know if this was an umpire with rabbit ears, just a guy looking for trouble, or if she was a little too loud or maybe doing one of those "Hey, I wasn't even talking to you!" passive-aggressive comments where she was technically talking to someone else, but saying it loudly enough so he could hear it. Or maybe it was a total fluke where she was just talking to someone and he happened to be walking by at that exact moment.

What bugs me is TMIB's post. Just posting the rules implies that because, technically, he's allowed to eject her (I don't think anybody questioned that) so that means he was right to do so. It's possible he was, but in most of the scenarios I can think of here, I think he deserves a diaper and a bottle for his response.

At the college level and above, I don't even think umpires should have the authority to eject except in the most extreme circumstances (a coach running on the field with a bat, threatening violence; a bench-clearing brawl, etc.). I think this is especially true at the MLB level, where I believe all ejections should be subject to a review by an independent panel and if the ejection isn't unanimously upheld the umpire is fined/suspended/barred from working playoff games. It's unnecessary and it just plays to the fragile egos of the thin-skinned umps. There are other ways to penalize certain behaviors within the context of the game.

At the youth level? Eh, eject us idiot coaches if we act up. We need to set a good example for the kids and a lot less should be allowed.

What you think doesn't matter. What matters are the rules in place. You don't follow the rules, then you suffer the consequences.

Remember when Joe Brinkman toss George Brett for using a bat that was against the rules? Brett went ape sh1t and should have been suspended, but he wasn't. The league stepped in and reversed the call. This began the downward spiral in the relationship between umpires and the American league.

Question at your job is there a panel that reviews the decisions that you make?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
While coaching, I have never been ejected, although I should have been once ... The Umpire turned around and mistakenly threw out my partner who was coming out to save me from getting tossed ... I had been restricted to the dugout once in a HS game. All that being said, about 15 years ago I took the opportunity to take the yearly course and test to become an Umpire and did so for a few years ... Not only did I learn the rules better but I feel it made me a much better coach ... Before you judge another, walk a mile in their shoes ... I have heard others and had assistants who think every call that doesn't go their way is a bad call.

Jul 27, 2021
Can you point me to that exception in the rulebook?

I'm sorry that the inconvenience of the rulebook annoys you. Please, coach, which rules do want applied and which ones do you not want applied?

[sarcasm]Coach, I understand you think your player may have just hit a grand slam to win the game, but she didn't say that hit that ball for me to hear watch, so I guess it didn't happen. She's coming back to the plate and we're going to do it again. [ /sarcasm]

There has always been much debate and even much lament from umpires when the rulebook uses terms like "has the authority to" and then turns around and says "SHALL." The first gives us discretion, the second gives us direction. Mixing the two gives us trouble like this. When in doubt, err on the side of direction.

You don't like that a player very specifically and unquestionably violated the rule by making "insulting or disparaging remarks to or about opposing players or game officials," and then the umpire enforced a rule that, in the penalty section, says "If the violation occurs after the game but while the umpires are still present at the competition site, the offender shall serve a postgame 138 RULE 13 / MISCONDUCT ejection."

Sorry coach, I can't tell if you actually believe this or if you are trolling. If you don't want umpires enforcing rules, I guess quit hiring umpires for your games. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah ... it may be in the rule book, but that is one section that I have never bothered to read.

giphy.gif

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Might be a negative correlation.. you seem like you have a lot of common sense..you tell me…
Seems like we notice the lack of street smarts more in those that have the book smarts? Maybe that just makes some feel better?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi