play 12u or 14u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
DD is an 02 pitcher plays on a 12u mixed age team half 01s half 02s. The team is an avg 12tu team. I think the team is gonna move up in the fall to 14u. Would it be better long term for a pitcher to stay down and have more success or move up and play against the older teams. She will get the same amount of pitching time in both situations.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Unless she is a very mature 12 she may feel left out some of the time. Lots of 14s are well on their way to being boy friendly and some 12s may still have a favorite doll. DD played as a 7th grader with a team full of 9th graders. They were not mean to her but did not include her in a lot of the "secret" boy talk. She did enlarge her vocabulary by the 7 words you can't say on tv. On the positive side, it made DD a much better player.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It depends on how many other pitchers are on the team and whether she will get circle time. If she is the 4th pitcher on an "average" 14U team, she is better served playing on a really good 12U team. If she is the #1 or #2 pitcher on the 14U team, I would probably play her up.

May 31, 2012
Riseball. How important is it for a kid to play on the big name team at the 12u level. At what age if ever do they need to make the move.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Unless she is a very mature 12 she may feel left out some of the time. Lots of 14s are well on their way to being boy friendly and some 12s may still have a favorite doll. DD played as a 7th grader with a team full of 9th graders. They were not mean to her but did not include her in a lot of the "secret" boy talk. She did enlarge her vocabulary by the 7 words you can't say on tv. On the positive side, it made DD a much better player.

I agree with InsidePitch - if circle time would be equal, base your decision on the maturity level of your DD. My DD is a late birthday (October), so she has always been one of the youngest on her team and I think it has made her a better player.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
Just because she may be a one or two on that team dose not mean shes a 1/2 pitcher in 14u. Here are the questions I would ask myself.

Is she average or dominating right now in 12u?
If dominating is it against weak or strong opponents?
What is her BB/K % on total pitches thrown per game?
Does she have and effective change up?
Can she throw anything with movement consistently near the zone ?
Has she pitched from 43'?
What is her BAA strong teams?

Anyone can find a team and get mound time but is it the right mound time on the right team against the right opponents? Higher level 12's and 14's can hit straight and fast and at 43' there is even more time for a hitter. IMO you need a change of speed and movement along with speed once you move to 43'. I have seen to many coaches that took an average 12u pitcher to 14 before they were ready and get shelled even by the lower tier teams. I don't know how many games you have played this spring but you have plenty of time see what she does this spring against the best in your area. If shes an 02 let her develop over this spring and fall and if shes ready then heck yeah go for it next spring.

May 31, 2012
Medic what's better for the longterm. DD have a great fall season in 12u or a mediocre fall season in 14u.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
I would say mediocre fall if she is mentally prepared which at 12 may be hard to judge. If she has the ability to over come adversity matched with a supportive team, coaches, and parents she will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd