Plantar Fascicantspellit and Sever's disease

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Older DD is 11 and was recently diagnosed with one or both of these. Doctors say that as long as it does not become chronic that she can play. Her feet always hurt at least a little after a practice or game and yesterday they started hurting the second game of a friendly. She wears super soles and she ices them after activity. it bothers her but not enough to stop playing.

I am sure that a lot of you have run across this before so I just wanted to know how it turned out in some real world softball situations. did the girls outgrow it (like the doctors think she will) and it was just a growing pain type thing or did it get worse?

Jun 24, 2013
DD might be the fastest kid on her Team but sometimes she is the slowest. Her Coaches have learned to deal with it. It is hard to see your DD running on 1 leg.

She has been going to physical therapy for a few years now, I am not sure it helps. Doctor says she will not cause damage and if she can live the pain she can play.

Aug 6, 2013
My DD had Severs Disease last year (at 11) we used K tape and or BioFreeze along with stretching - She dealt with the pain fairly well - But she never was the fastest kid on the team.

She has seemed to have out grown it now - We have had no complaints throughout winter practices and scrimmages.

As I understand it - the Leg bone sometimes grows faster than the tendon and eventually the tendon catches up.

we called it growing pains when I was a kid

Best of luck

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2013
Utah
DD is 12. When she plays 14U and wears metal cleats, seems she can't get through a whioe tournament before she is hurting. Don't have that problem when she wears molded cleats

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Proper proactive and reactive treatment gets you thru the weekends. They do outgrow it in time.

KTape and now they make special insoles for Severs/Plantars as well. My leadoff hitter/slapper is dealing with this now. she is one tough kid-ask her about it and she says her sisters need her so she does what the dr says. She has good and bad days but never quits.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD is a pitcher and started having foot pain playing 14U. Would pitch 1 game on Saturday and would have to ice feet at night to play again on Sunday. We thought it was Platars but unfortunately was not the case. Podiatrist said she had feet of an 80 year old. Bunions real bad. Fought through it for a year or so Finally scheduled surgery during her Junior for a bilateral bunionectomy on both feet. This is unusual because it is very painful procedure where they break both feet and as a result was wheelchair bound instead of using crutches. But the clock was ticking on her career. Had surgery on 11/11/2011 so she could rehab during HS season. She returned to the circle 6 months later in late April 2012 working in the mid 50's instead of the low 60's.

She worked her butt off to get speed back and dominated at ASA Nationals 3 months later in August 2012. It has been a long road but now has zero pain and never ices her feet. Now a Freshman in college who gained 25 lbs in right places, works at 66-67mph and averages 10+ k's per game with a 1.06 ERA.

Bottom line do whatever it takes to get your DD healthy and well. I would get her to a top Podiatrist who gets that she is an athlete and how important this is for her. This is not about being able to walk around the mall. Maybe a set of custom made orthotics and no more flat shoes or sandals. Worse case she may need surgery but most likely not. If she does it is not the end of the world. Yes, she may miss some games and even some opportunities. But with hard work anything is possible.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
We did Ktape around the bottom of the heel up the side of the foot and up the back of the ankle on both sides near the Achilles tendon I think the two pieces met at the top.

Also we used a frozen water bottle she would roll it under her bear foot between games to reduce the swelling.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
KTape has a video on their website just for this. Also a pediatric sports physician should be able to order or refer you to "heel cups" as well

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
My son has had Severs' for 3 years, he's now 12. Ibuprofen and calf stretches beforehand, icing afterward, and mind over matter during. Try to get her to wear running shoes or something with support and cushioning when she's out of cleats, and minimize her time in cleats. Also make sure whatever she wears doesn't press on the Achilles.