Pitching Style Change After 5 years of lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD is 25. But, I did have some video of her and I was surprised to see that she would bend her arm and pull the ball down, once I was able to slow things down. I thought "Oh, no!" But, I never really taught a tight motion, anyway - and she just developed on her own. No matter what they are taught, some girls get the natural feel going anyway. I don't think that your DD is that far off course.

Tell her that I compare pitching to the overhand throw. She probably isn't all tight and following through in the hello elbow, with her overhand throw. Find the similarities.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is never too late to change, but your DD will probably take "one step back" before taking "two steps forward"! Make the transition over the Winter when your DD will have several months to make the adjustment without having to pitch in games for her HS or TB team.

Sep 10, 2013
my dd started with HE instruction at 11 and did it for about 1.5 years. we finally bit the bullet and switched 6 months ago.
it was a tough transition and in the beginning she was told to improve and didn't get much pitching time. Got blamed for the 'new-style' messing her up, but resistance was not futile. she has since surpassed ALL the other pitchers in her team.

i'd say go for it.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"Got blamed for the 'new-style' messing her up..."

You gotta love it when you get that nonsense thrown at you from people who think they know but don't.

Jul 17, 2012
I really don't think you're going to have to work backward at all. Your DD is in my opinion finishing HE style to "Please" the instructor. Don't tear down the house. It's actually built quite well from what I can see. Some modest remodeling will help. But DON'T tell her or imply to her that you need to start over...she'll resist, as she knows what she's doing works. To be honest...it's likely that the existing coach is preventing her from moving by trying to coach the athlete out of her.

In prep of her visit to Bill...... the conversation should go something like this "I hope you're excited.... you're going to get to work with one of the best pitching coaches in the country".........."Nobody is perfect...so he's likely going to suggest some things you can do better".... "Keep an open mind and really pay attention to what he's saying"

Kids that experience success the way they know how to do something, often have a hard time changing...because when they struggle the least bit with a change...they want to go back to what worked. I have a couple things to change with my own DD after her winter break. Need to get her to release a little earlier.... so I already have the "Plan". She's going to learn a "New Pitch", called the "Backdoor Fastball". Everything is just like her regular fastball, but she fires the ball off her back thigh...not the front thigh. I think it will help her mentally if she thinks she's learning something to add to what she already knows...as opposed to changing something she already knows.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Redzone,

The 'Hello Elbow' ia a 'Follow through' that happens after the ball is released.

1. HE adds zero to pitch movement because it happens after the ball is released.
2. HE adds zero to ball speed because it happens after the ball is released.
3. HE adds zero to placement accuracy because it happens after the ball is released.
4. HE is considered an unsafe pitching motion because of the stress it places on the throwing elbow.

Your instructor cannot come up with any arguement against those four points. This is why no instructor with any credibility at all will teach this action.

It's real simple, you tell youir instructor NO, we're not doing that ANYMORE.

Feel free to print this out and give it to the instructor.

Coach Hal Skinner

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
My DD is 25. But, I did have some video of her and I was surprised to see that she would bend her arm and pull the ball down, once I was able to slow things down. I thought "Oh, no!" But, I never really taught a tight motion, anyway - and she just developed on her own. No matter what they are taught, some girls get the natural feel going anyway. I don't think that your DD is that far off course.

Tell her that I compare pitching to the overhand throw. She probably isn't all tight and following through in the hello elbow, with her overhand throw. Find the similarities.

DD does not ever bring the elbow up when she is pitching in a game but always does when she is at lessons. Main problem I see with her motion is her swimming and leaning forward. DD is very excited about getting to work with Bill...