Pitching Style Change After 5 years of lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
We live in a small town in Oklahoma and there is only one instructor within 100 miles of us in any direction and he teaches the old style "hello elbow". DD has been going to him now for almost 5 years and she has been very successful with his style but it's becoming very apparent she has hit a wall. I've watched almost every video posted on the internet from Bill Hillhouse and I've got to be honest it makes me sick to know that my DD has wasted all this time and effort learning to pitch the wrong way. DD will be 15 next April and is currently starting pitcher on her HS team earning ALL Conference as a Freshman and is the #1 pitcher on her travel team as well. My question is would it be too late at this point to change to Hillhouse style. DD is obviously in the off season and will resume tournaments again in march so we have a little time to learn new style, but I'm worried she will not be able to change in time and set her back from all she has accomplished. Everyone from our area pitches the same style so we never really thought there was any other way to pitch. I feel like the worst dad in the world after watching Bills videos...I wish I had converted DD sooner, but I just didn't know any better. Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Bill Hillhouse will be in Carrollton Texas this weekend giving lessons and I think I'm going to sign up for one just to get his opinion and see how DD reacts to it.

Jul 26, 2010
No pitcher actually pitches successfully with a bowling motion. The dreaded "hello elbow" actually happens after the pitch. If your daughter is as successful as you're saying, I'm betting she already pitches with a good degree of arm whip and could benefit from learning from Bill Hillhouse.

I suggest posting some video so we can see where she is at and perhaps help you plan a path forward.

-W

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I'm posting video I had made for DD 2013 softball year. It's long but has quite a bit of DD pitching from 8th grade through Oklahoma State Tournament.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BHQS6YwJScA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
All I can say is I wish I had the benefit of working with someone who knew what they were talking about when I started my dd on IR.

Id say its a must!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd pitched for 4 years h.e. style... the conversion has been a huge uphill battle. After a year and a half of trying to get her to understand and "feel" what correct mechanics are have been next to impossible! Hope you have more success than us!

Jun 13, 2009
Red, I would sign up NOW if I was you. If he's not already full, I know he usually sells out in Dallas. The schedule can be seen on his website but if he's been traveling then he may not have updated it so any open spots might actually be sold. I honestly don't know how he does it with his travel schedule. But I would email him NOW if I was you. Do it through his website, not on here I know he's not on this site very much.

CG

Jun 18, 2010
No pitcher actually pitches successfully with a bowling motion. The dreaded "hello elbow" actually happens after the pitch. If your daughter is as successful as you're saying, I'm betting she already pitches with a good degree of arm whip and could benefit from learning from Bill Hillhouse.

I suggest posting some video so we can see where she is at and perhaps help you plan a path forward.

-W

When I think of a bowling motion, I think of this student of Skinner's.

student_zps6a88e4c0.gif

Oct 22, 2009
Redzone, I changed my DD's hitting and pitching styles when she was freshman in high school. Everyone told me I was crazy and I agreed. But I felt it was the only way she was going to rise to the top. Smartest decision I ever made.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
My DD swims badly and hits her leg twice...Once on back swing and once at release. I've asked pitching instructor several times about it and he tells us not to worry about it. I think it's a huge problem

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan