Pitching speeds?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I will say that what was "good enough" 10 years ago is not "good enough" today. Pitchers and hitters are getting a LOT better. If you are stuck in an organization with a coach who has the mindset of "I've always taught it this way, it's always worked", then run away as quickly as you can. Athletes and coaches MUST be students of the game and continue to learn and adapt.

-W

Also we see trends of pitching. Look at how widespread the cutter is becoming again. It's an easy pitch to throw, hard pitch to hit solid because of the speed and late break. Eras where the slider ruled, the split finger, and now the cutter. You're right on adapting, pitchers have to find pitches that break the normal "training" of the batter, the batters then have to adapt to the new hot pitch. It's a cycle. Somewhere I read batters are usually 5 years behind the pitching revolution. And therefore the pitch popularity changes about every 10 years as an off set.

Dec 20, 2012
My DD throws the drop curve pretty well and it has been a very good pitch for her. Had a couple of instructors around here teaching these huge sweeping swings. The bat would cover the well into the opposite batter's box. And they could crush it(pull it) even if you were 3-4 inches off the plate. It's amazing how some of the hitting instructors swings, loads, theories, etc... change with every camp they attend. Some kids have been changed up some many times they don't know if they are coming or going. Get wide and don't load one time and a month later they want a huge step, get a tilt in the bat, and a huge weight transfer. Stay on plain, swing up, elbow down, no up.

Dec 7, 2011
Thoughts from you folks on this mix that DD currently does:
Rise = mid 60's
FB = 60
Drop = mid 50's
CU = low 40's

Good mix?

Dec 20, 2012
Thoughts from you folks on this mix that DD currently does:
Rise = mid 60's
FB = 60
Drop = mid 50's
CU = low 40's

Good mix?

Throwin hard, AWESOME! Does she have variations of those pitches, drop curve, breaking rise? My DD will put a knuckle in some of her grips and lose 5-7 mph to give the same pitch different looks/speeds.

Jan 11, 2010
Just an observation, but it seems like every thread I see on pitch speeds evolves the following way: First, there must be something wrong with the radar guns or they are not using them correctly. Then several chime in about said pitcher being "illegal" and that is the only way she does it. Then after this is exhausted, the comments about speed without movement is nothing.

Sorry if I sound grumpy as I do enjoy this forum and it is very informative. However, kids today are faster, stronger, quicker, bigger, and are getting better info and coaching (at least some are) than the heroes from yesterday. Therefore it stands to reason that they will be surpassing many of them with speed and movement. Get used to it! I do not mean to infer that every reading is accurate and I take many with a grain of salt as you all do. However, the trend is obvious if you look at last years CWS field. Most teams had above average sized pitchers who threw hard with good movement and change of speed.

Finally, I think it is obvious that you need movement. It seems that anyone mentioned with exceptional speed is assumed to have no movement. That is often wrong. When kids are developing, many do not have movement yet and speed is obvious. I think it goes without saying that the top pitchers have both. I will now get off my soapbox- sorry if I offended anyone.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Would be interesting to see how many girls are playing fast pitch now vs. 10 years ago. There has also been an explosion in the number of travel ball teams playing year round, not to mention the number of pitching and batting coaches that have popped up.

Given the increased interest in the sport, there is bound to be a corresponding increase in the overall level of talent.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
First, there must be something wrong with the radar guns or they are not using them correctly.

We never know the full honest story behind radar guns. Even police radar guns are meant to be calibrated by tuning forks before each shift. How many bucket dads, ball parks, expos, "really" tune their guns for accuracy?

I've told this story before, I've got 3 Bushnell guns. One is low 5mph, one is tuned accurate, and the other is high by 5mph. We'd get some good laughs at the ballparks with ego driven dads. Even if our 2 kids were throwing the same speed, say 60. I could pull one gun out and have my DD at 65, shoot his DD with the other at 55. Now this was a few years ago before everybody and they momma had guns like they do now.

I like speed and movement, seeing someone well above average for an age group is special. But it's not how "I" gauge a pitcher. I look at results more than anything. K/IP, ERA, WHIP, GP, SV, and the most important is W to L record. The W to L tells me a ton on how the "team" functions with a particular pitcher in the circle. Great pitchers set the pace and tone of the game. I've seen teams go from pumped to flat or vise versa because they respect/rally/confidence behind one pitcher, and not the other.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I like speed and movement, seeing someone well above average for an age group is special. But it's not how "I" gauge a pitcher. I look at results more than anything. K/IP, ERA, WHIP, GP, SV, and the most important is W to L record. The W to L tells me a ton on how the "team" functions with a particular pitcher in the circle. Great pitchers set the pace and tone of the game. I've seen teams go from pumped to flat or vise versa because they respect/rally/confidence behind one pitcher, and not the other.

One thing I would like to point out regarding W/L record - we will always pitch our #1 against the teams we believe are the best in a tournament, while the #2 and #3 pitchers divide up the rest of the mound time. There is a good chance our #2 and #3 pitchers will have a better ERA, and W/L record than our #1, but there is no doubt who we want in the circle in the championship game!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild