College Pitching Question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Just curious - how many days per week do your college-pitching dd’s throw including games? Dd and her fellow pitchers will be throwing 6 days this week which includes bullpen, live pitching to batters, and games. Just seems like a lot to me but maybe it’s similar across the board? When dd pitches games, they usually use her a full 7 innings, also. Thanks for your replies!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That's a lot. I guess how many pitches she throws in a bullpen and live bp would matter. I wouldn't have my starting pitchers throw BP either.

May 27, 2013
Yeah, I thought it sounded like a lot too. Especially since they won’t be having a day off prior to the games.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I'd say it's 5-6 also, the team is short on pitchers so the luxury of not throwing BP is not available. She's also throwing a lot of complete games when it's probably not the best approach. It's a bunch and DD is very much a workhouse, she's not the type to say no even though there are definitely times when she could use a break.

Aug 21, 2008
Just curious - how many days per week do your college-pitching dd’s throw including games? Dd and her fellow pitchers will be throwing 6 days this week which includes bullpen, live pitching to batters, and games. Just seems like a lot to me but maybe it’s similar across the board? When dd pitches games, they usually use her a full 7 innings, also. Thanks for your replies!
When I coached in college, the girls threw 5-6 days per week but not all workouts were the same. Some were more intense, others were just to work on certain things. And sometimes it would depend on how much someone pitched on the weekend. Most conferences play 1 game per day: Fri, Sat and Sun. Only a few conferences play double header Sat and single game Sunday. When you play the one per day, it's easier to throw the same pitcher every game. In theory, that same pitcher could throw the meaningless mid-week games too since those are usually just a solo game. However, our #1 pitcher didn't throw those games. We used those games to get the others some work.

I pretty much let the pitchers do as much or little work as they wanted. The way I saw it, if a kid didn't want to do the work then making her be somewhere wasn't going to help. I mean, just cause a pitcher has a scheduled time to do a work out doesn't mean they're going to put 100% in. They have to want to work. Want to improve. They must be asking the coach what they can do to get better which will give her more innings, and you better hope her pitching coach or whomever can get her better.

May 27, 2013
Most conferences play 1 game per day: Fri, Sat and Sun. Only a few conferences play double header Sat and single game Sunday. When you play the one per day, it's easier to throw the same pitcher every game.
We play a DH on Wednesdays and DH on both Sat and Sun.

May 27, 2013
Our schedule is very short. We play 12 games to start in FL in mid-March and then start conference play as soon as we get back. So we play one school twice on Saturday and then a different school twice on Sunday. It is pretty grueling for D3 between the cold New England weather and traveling to two different schools over a weekend when you have away games. Our mid-week games are usually about an hour away.

Our conference started doing the DH last season where we play the whole conference (9 other teams) instead of splitting the conference into East and West where we used to play a 3-game weekend series.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619