Pitching Machines for Catchers ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a cheap pitching machine to work on catching skills with my DD.

It seems like you could work on receiving, blocking and pop ups pretty easily if you had a machine.

I have seen a ton of spring training MLB videos on youtube with the catchers working on skills against pitching machines.

Any thoughts on this ?
Does anyone have good experience with this type of approach ?
Good machines to use ?

It seems like you could get a ton of reps in within a short amount of time. Also, as side benefit, I probably wouldn't use it for hitting/swings much.... but I could see it useful for bunting reps.

Thx,
Batdragon

Jun 18, 2010
We use Jugs Lite Flight + Jugs Pitching Machine for working on our catchers blocking mechanics.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Yup, great tool for blocking, receiving, framing etc. I like to point the pitches down for the catchers to block off of a bounce.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I love to use the machine for the catchers!! The JUGS balls are harder to catch also since I think there is some backspin on them so they have to concentrate harder

Oct 26, 2012
Thanks everyone.

So the Jugs Jr supports the following ball types:

--------
Throws 11" or 12" softballs, JUGS Pearl, JUGS Sting-Free softballs, JUGS Lite-Flite softballs, JUGS Softie softballs and the JUGS Bulldog polyballs.
----------

So for...
Blocking use Jugs-Lite flight....correct ?

What should be used to work on receiving ? Regular softballs ?

I would think the regular balls would have accuracy issues caused by the seams ??

Jun 18, 2010
You can use any of the ball for any of the drills, they all have advantages and disadvantages. The Jugs Jr. (same machine we have), is a single wheel pitching machine. The faster you dial up the speed, the more backspin (riseball spin) is imparted on the ball, that in itself is counter to a normal dropball with clockwise spin. We use Lite-Flite balls with the machine closer at a slower speed (to reduce the backspin). We use the Lite-Flite because it is a very soft ball compared to a regular softball, so that the catchers don't get too bruised up as they are learning their technique. Many times we skip the machine all together and just throw the Lite-Flite balls. Working on framing, we use the standard dimple balls. Rarely do we feed regular softball through the machine because it tears them up so fast. One thing I would avoid is throwing the cheap softballs with the machine, there is a transfer of the outer skin of the softball to the Jugs wheel which can lead to unpredictable results coming out of the machine.

Feb 24, 2012
Baseline pitching machine is cheaper at $649 and works great for our backyard cage and catching. Great way to break in glove as well. Jugs is a better machine, but Baseline works very well and cheaper!!!!

Agree w/ sting free machine balls. Work great!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii