Pitching Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2012
I haven't read this thread, so I'm not even sure what it's about.........BUT...........

The very nice young lady in the clip below has NO IDEA how to "throw a softball underhand"........So why are she bothering with any of that "other" motion like stance, posture, windup, leg drive (or lift in her case), full circle, etc.........

Teach this kid how to throw the ball and the rest will come pretty easily..........
Hmmm, you make it sound quite simple with this post. But as I recall, it MUST NOT be that easy. I belive this is your direct quote... "I can't teach you (or your DD) how to throw a softball over the internet because there are complex timing and articulation movements of the upper arm, forearm/wrist, and fingers that must happen in the correct order AND with the correct posture for the kenetic chain to properly execute the motion" So why simplify it here? To belittle me and anyone on here that tried to help?

Jul 14, 2008
Hmmm, you make it sound quite simple with this post. But as I recall, it MUST NOT be that easy. I belive this is your direct quote... "I can't teach you (or your DD) how to throw a softball over the internet because there are complex timing and articulation movements of the upper arm, forearm/wrist, and fingers that must happen in the correct order AND with the correct posture for the kenetic chain to properly execute the motion" So why simplify it here? To belittle me and anyone on here that tried to help?

There was no intent to belittle anyone in my post Rope. I'm simply said this kid has no idea how to throw a ball underhand........

I didn't say "who ever taught this kid sucks"........I didn't say "what idiot is working with her".........

If you took it that way that's your issue.........Sorry to hear it.........

Doesn't change my philosophy.........

Teach em to throw, THEN teach to pitch........Saves a TON of time IMO........And promotes proper mechanics from DAY ONE........You can dispute that theory all you want........

Teach em grip, stance, posture, load/windup, leg drive and then release!....Just like this NICE young lady learned at her first lesson...........And EVENTUALLY........MAYBE........She'll get there.......

Work on leg drive.......Arm circle........Powerline........Posture.......The "big K"........Bla-bla-bla-bla-bla.........But let her figure out hardest part of the delivery on her own..........Sorry........Just isn't how I go about things.........Doesn't mean others shouldn't.......Kids come to me to learn how to pitch.......Not learn how to "look like a pitcher"..........

"Time will tell"......and......."She'll figure it out".........ARE THE WORST yet MOST OVER-USED statement PC's ever use......

But it's ok.......Because she "kinda looks like a pitcher" now, and that's what's most important right?........Riiiiiiiiight..........

Not "directed" at anyone Rope.........

It's kinda like putting a kid in manual shift car where they have figure out how the clutch and accelerator work together, and saying "Don't worry, she'll figure it out"..........Meanwhile we'll replace a few tranny's and pay for the damage while she's doing it........Teach her how to use the clutch/accelerator, THEN teach her how shift the gears.......

When a kids leaves me for the first time.......She says "I'm learning how to throw the ball underhand!"........Not "I learned how to look like a pitcher!" I don't see any evidence of the former, and a lot of evidence of the latter after this NICE young's first lesson.......So I gave my opinion.........

And just my opinion........Love it or leave it.......:)

Jul 17, 2012
There was no intent to belittle anyone in my post Rope. I'm simply said this kid has no idea how to throw a ball underhand........

I didn't say "who ever taught this kid sucks"........I didn't say "what idiot is working with her".........

If you took it that way that's your issue.........Sorry to hear it.........

Doesn't change my philosophy.........

Teach em to throw, THEN teach to pitch........Saves a TON of time IMO........And promotes proper mechanics from DAY ONE........You can dispute that theory all you want........

Teach em grip, stance, posture, load/windup, leg drive and then release!....Just like this NICE young lady learned at her first lesson...........And EVENTUALLY........MAYBE........She'll get there.......

Work on leg drive.......Arm circle........Powerline........Posture.......The "big K"........Bla-bla-bla-bla-bla.........But let her figure out hardest part of the delivery on her own..........Sorry........Just isn't how I go about things.........Doesn't mean others shouldn't.......Kids come to me to learn how to pitch.......Not learn how to "look like a pitcher"..........

"Time will tell"......and......."She'll figure it out".........ARE THE WORST yet MOST OVER-USED statement PC's ever use......

But it's ok.......Because she "kinda looks like a pitcher" now, and that's what's most important right?........Riiiiiiiiight..........

Not "directed" at anyone Rope.........

It's kinda like putting a kid in manual shift car where they have figure out how the clutch and accelerator work together, and saying "Don't worry, she'll figure it out"..........Meanwhile we'll replace a few tranny's and pay for the damage while she's doing it........Teach her how to use the clutch/accelerator, THEN teach her how shift the gears.......

When a kids leaves me for the first time.......She says "I'm learning how to throw the ball underhand!"........Not "I learned how to look like a pitcher!" I don't see any evidence of the former, and a lot of evidence of the latter after this NICE young's first lesson.......So I gave my opinion.........

And just my opinion........Love it or leave it.......:)
Since I'm a relatively peaceful guy that only wants to help his daughter succeed at something she's shown quite a passion for, I'm willing to regroup, call time out, and not get thrown out of the game for arguing with "the ump". I really took offense to two portions of your post. First off, let me make a suggestion to you. "This kid has no idea how to throw a ball underhand" could have been far less offensively stated if you were to simply say "I would focus on teaching her to walk before run. Teach her how to "Throw" a ball underhand before you get into all of the intricate details of how to pitch" And if you care so much, as your passion for negativity suggests, offer up a few suggestions on how to proceed.

Second, you admittedly didn't even take the time to read the details of the post before you decided to post your graceful commentary.

No hard feelings.... FR

Jul 14, 2008
I really took offense to two portions of your post.

You wrote: "This kid has no idea how to throw a ball underhand"

I wrote: "The very nice young lady in the clip below has no idea how to throw a softball underhand."

Somehow the way you put it sounds much more offensive then what I wrote.......

could have been far less offensively stated if you were to simply say "I would focus on teaching her to walk before run. Teach her how to "Throw" a ball underhand before you get into all of the intricate details of how to pitch"

Seems like you understood exactly what I meant........

And if you care so much, as your passion for negativity suggests, offer up a few suggestions on how to proceed.

Passion for negetivity?........Well see that is funny.......

I want you to RE-READ this post from a Screwball........And then tell me why you invoked the "negativity" card on me........

The softer 3:00 throws are a waste of time. Try it yourself and you will throw them high, too. Very hard to control (and I am always unclear where 3:00 is, to me that is behind me in the circle, so yes waste of time). Of course drills without throwing are fine, but you stated you were not allowed to put legs with the arm....not me. I also hate mirrors for this. A golf swing maybe, but not pitching.

If you continue with this train of thought it brings years of misery.

However, you do NOT give 2 S---- where the ball goes when doing this drills when first learning them.

Threatened with "years of misery" from using what your PC has recommended.......

No go back to the post and read ONLY THE BOLDED TOP AND BOTTOM LINES.......And see what was really said and how dumb some of the "help" you didn't take offense to sound.........

"Don't do the 3:00 drills because you can't control them"........BUT........Do the SCREWBALL drill and DON'T GIVE A S--- WHERE THE BALL GOES...........What a joke........

Second, you admittedly didn't even take the time to read the details of the post before you decided to post your graceful commentary.

No hard feelings.... FR

Good........I didn't mean any disrespect........

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That's how this post started. Believe it or not.... So said Ripley!!!

Seeing is Believing.... I knew that she had some pitching.... "in games" under her belt... I think I can add that what she was taught before the lesson, must have been a pretty good foundation to build on. Unlike my DD, She had to go a total redo. :{(( I don't wish that on anyone.

In lieu of the direction the thread went, I am reminded to recommend a book. "Winning State" You and DD can read it together.

Check out the videos I suggested, and let me know If you can see the union of ancient moves of Karate, and the common transfer of weight in the different processes of Fastpitch. Also the inhale and exhale, of the transfer of Chi.

Jul 17, 2012
You wrote: "This kid has no idea how to throw a ball underhand"

I wrote: "The very nice young lady in the clip below has no idea how to throw a softball underhand."

Somehow the way you put it sounds much more offensive then what I wrote

Passion for negetivity?........Well see that is funny.......

I want you to RE-READ this post from a Screwball........And then tell me why you invoked the "negativity" card on me........
BoardMember, since you asked, Screwball has been chiming in on this thread since I posted it. He's been doing what I asked, critiquing "the instruction" which was the purpose of this post. I don't take offense to him Loving, Hating, or Feeling indifferent about the techniques being taught. Those are his opinions and he's welcome to them. You jumped in on the post, admittedly, with no idea what the jist of it was and went right to an extreme critic of the "Very Nice Young Lady"/"Kid" when I really didn't ask for critique on her. Just showing the motion as it was being taught, once again looking for feedback on the instruction. Not the "Very Nice Young Lady"/"Kid". Of course she doesn't know what she's doing yet. The first underhanded throw of her life happened sometime in the beginning of June and she was shown by someone who knows little, very close to nothing (ME). She had her first lesson less than a week ago. She was shown 3:00 and 12:00 throws, but the instructor didn’t get into as much detail as your “I/R in the Classroom” post did. I don't doubt your knowledge. I watched those videos 101 times and tried to do it myself and it made sense. I use YOUR technique on "Lock it in" when she's doing her 3:00 throws. And I use YOUR technique for “Unlocking It” on the 12:00 throws. It’s a shame we got off on the wrong foot, because I think you have the same train of thought as the instructor with the exception that her instructor wanted her to start working on her footwork, SEPARATE from her throwing. I just let her throw a few pitches because she was dying to try it and I figured I would get a “Before Video” and show the technique for the footwork that’s being taught. If you look at that video again, she’s paying NO ATTENTION to the throw, and focusing 100% of her attention on her lower body. She’s not even looking where she’s throwing the ball. Thank god she hit the carpet that only covers 2/3rds of the garage bay door and not my wife’s car that was sitting right behind it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not that it matters but for the record, Screwball is a she. You will come to learn that Screwball usually has an interesting take on things.

Apr 27, 2009
Regardless, I produce confident if not yet perfect pitching students who love to pitch and that is a lot of the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck