Pitching Instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wouldn't pay over $10.00, for a trainee. It takes decades to learn all that there is about pitching. I am 58 and I learn something every day.

Jul 17, 2012
I wouldn't pay over $10.00, for a trainee. It takes decades to learn all that there is about pitching. I am 58 and I learn something every day.

Hmmm... It would cost me more than $10 to rent the climate controlled indoor facility for 45 minutes...

Jul 17, 2012
So I guess my takeaways here are:
Be sure the initial instructor practices what she preaches, and pitches the way she is explaining.
Be sure that I don't overpay (I feel what I am paying is fair, considering the other options)
Watch for warning signs of teaching outdated pitching mechanics (hellow elbow, etc.)

I appreciate all of the info so far and the opinions. It will help me make sure we don't travel too far down a dead end road.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Be sure the initial instructor practices what she preaches, and pitches the way she is explaining.
Be sure that I don't overpay (I feel what I am paying is fair, considering the other options)
Watch for warning signs of teaching outdated pitching mechanics (hellow elbow, etc.)

I appreciate all of the info so far and the opinions. It will help me make sure we don't travel too far down a dead end road.

Make sure your DD is having fun. This is supposed to be fun even if it is competitive/intense/etc. If it is JUST work it wont last long.

Apr 27, 2009

Watch for warning signs of teaching outdated pitching mechanics (hellow elbow, etc.).

FYI: hello elbow is a modern approach. I am 'outdated' and we did not use hello elbow. It seems to have come about with dads teaching pitching to daughters. And I can tell you in my day, no boys, brothers or probably anyone male came near our softball games, unless all our brothers did not have baseball games. (ie, boys became dads since.)

Jul 17, 2012
Make sure your DD is having fun. This is supposed to be fun even if it is competitive/intense/etc. If it is JUST work it wont last long.

Excellent Advice marriard. I think some of what is lost in all of us parents wanting monumental success for our DD's is the fun and enjoyment of the game itself. This is ultimately supposed to be fun, especially at the tender age of 10 (league age 9). Only a select few of the extremely gifted will make it to the highest level. My DD has proven to me that this is something she wants to do. I could care less if her goal is to do well in a rec league, or be the star of a TB team. The desire to pitch is more than a come and go whim for her as she's been driving me crazy all season, and is willing to sacrifice neighborhood "friend time" to work in the yard with her little knowing father, with the hopes she'll be able to make an impact on the mound for her team. Just this week I saw her turn away a bike riding group of her friends because we were in the garage doing tee work. She loves softball in general. We have the means to provide the instruction for her, so not to do it would be criminal in my mind. She's done MANY activities at her young age, and never has she been as committed to any of them as much as she is softball. May have something to do with dad coaching. not 100% sure. She didn't take to fishing, golf, or running, despite my trying to get her interested in those activities. Today at a practice for a post season tournament, she lined up lefty. I was the one pitching BP, so of course I had a fit and told her to turn around. She begged me to let her show me what she learned working with her friends sister this week, the slap hit. I was skeptical, but the little bugger slapped 4-5 in a row right past me up the middle to the left side and was two thirds of the way up the baseline before it even touched the SS glove. Best part is I FIRED the pitches at her to prove to her that she wasnt ready to do it in a game like scenario yet. Totally new skill for her and I guess she showed me!! Funny part is I don't consider her a natuarally gifted athlete by any means, but she does really well with a ball or bat in her hand.

Her commitment is the reason for my post. I wan't to make sure I do her justice in her effort. I'll be sure to post some comments on what goes on at her pitching lesson the weekend for additional input on whther we're at the right place for her to learn. This was a bit off-beat from the original intent of the post, but marriard brings up a GREAT point in talking about the "fun" aspect of the game for the younger girls. At age 10, it needs to be fun for them to want to continue to put the hours in. Once agains, GREAT post marriard!!

Mar 13, 2010
I think as long as it's the very basics I would be OK. (and the fact you're paying a reduced rate is important) My questions is, what is the basics? Is it grips? The motion? What?

Oct 19, 2009
There is an instructor across the border in TN who does primarily the same thing. The stand in instructor maybe a former student or her husband who she taught to stand in for her.

JMO it is important for a young lady to get started out right and a seasoned instructor would be more knowledgeable on proper instruction and how to progress a beginning student. If I’m paying for an instructor to teach the beginning student that is who I would expect to do the instruction.

I sure we’re not talking about the same instructor, but this one often has students and her husband stand in for her with older students also. She is a very good coach/instructor and very expensive and these stand-ins are not what parents are paying for IMO.

The Hillhouse DVDs should have given your daughter a good start with the basics, and as Slugger avised be carefull of the snake oil. JMO if my young daughter was beginning to show interest in pitching I would get the Hillhouse DVDs and work with her from the DVDs, before I took her to an instructor.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I think as long as it's the very basics I would be OK. (and the fact you're paying a reduced rate is important) My questions is, what is the basics? Is it grips? The motion? What?

Thats my question also...Here is where the 5000 concepts start. For me it would mean, standing about 25' away, then have DD throw the ball as hard as she can overhand,(35-45mph???) to my glove, that would be off to my side @ shoulder level. When she can do that 10 times in a row with out missing, (We will start count over if one is missed, I allow 12" up & down, and only 12" out...never cout one that comes inside to my chest) then we are ready to start pitchin. We do this even at games. I never tought, or let them teach her to throw to the chest....I don't want her hurting anyone, or making them look bad. The girls that are scared, learn to depend on DD's accuracy, builds their confidence... then I tell her she just gave a pitching lesson. DD has to teach my GD's so it is a must, that they don't get hit early on. Thats the basics that I teach. Of course I have to do the, same as far as the same target area, but underhand on my throwbacks, and not as hard as I can, but all most. We call that "batting pratice" basics. When she does start pitching underhand, I have the same requirements for targeting my throws back, underhand, while setting on a 3.5 gal. bucket.... Believe me she still keeps the count of my throw backs all through pratice, and frames the misses, and holds them an extra second.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
I spoke primarilly with the woman that runs the facility. She explained the whole process at a high level. I have to be honest and say that I didn't ask too many detailed questions. We spoke on the phone for 20 minutes or so, most of it her explaining the process and the only things I can remember specifically that she'll learn from the younger instructor is the grip, presentation, footwork, and the breakdown of the motion. She also mentioned that they'll show her several exercises to improve her flexibility, balance, body control and leg drive. I believe the first lesson will consist primarily of the grip, stance on the mound, and the exercises. She also said they will go over the "recipe for success" so to speak with us during the first lesson. Apparently they put together some structured workouts for the students in the beginning so they have some "stuff" to work on before they are able to actually throw a pitch. One thing that caught my ear when speaking to her is she said she's not crazy about excessive drills. I thought this to be a plus since I heard the very same statement when watching the "Building the House" DVD that many here are quite fond of.

Another thing I liked about this place is they have group sessions for just a few bucks on the weekends where the students (only students of their instruction) can come and work out. At least one of the instructors is present for these sessions and will walk around and help the girls that want/need it. She said this is VERY popular, especially in the colder winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck