Pitchers Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Pitchers are already mostly known as being a little crazy with their perfectionist attitude....so duh the parents got to be a little off too.

I know I am little off my rocker but heck they (club and parents) asked me to coach this year...so does that make them crazier?

I am Coach/Parent of a pitcher but during games I do not deal with my daughter during the games. I let the other coach talk to her and give her signals. Now between games we talk about the great pitches or defensive outs she may have made and then we talk about any struggles she may had to work through.

Anyways I admit I am crazy.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
The problem I see and it is being shown in this thread by some of you is ego. As a coach I talk to my pitchers parents regularly. They are the ones working with them the most so I need to know how it is going. As a parent of a pitcher, I tell her to throw whatever pitch the coach calls. "Right" or "wrong". Saw it in our last HS game this year, pitchers mom kept yelling if she didn't like the pitch called, change it. Well, she changed it and the ball went over the fence. Season over on a heavily favored team laden with seniors. Is it possible that the coach called pitch would have gone over the fence? Sure but we will never know.

As far as letting a coach completely change mechanics, that is a no go. While I may not agree with what my players are potentially being taught, after a brief explanation of why I don't prefer that method, if they choose to keep going that route so be it. It is up to the parent and player to do what they think is best for them.

Some of you all have self created drama. Can't stand daddy ball yet moan and groan about your kids coaches constantly. The only time that stops is when you find a coach that has the same ideals as you but you will still find something to start drama over eventually.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The DD is quickly coming to a close of her pitching career, being a rising senior in HS. Given her size (5'3" 115 lbs) she'll never be the power pitcher most collegiate coaches are looking for. She had a great HS season and has pitched a few times this summer in showcase events - the first was a disaster, the other this past weekend a great success - at both events a very good D III coach was there to see her play - very different results. I was there to see both - tears behind the sunglasses after the 1st go round, and could not have been more proud of her performance the second; but she would never know how I felt since my outward expression and conversation after the game was the same " Hungry"?

She may or may not go on to play in college - this decision is hers and is strictly based on admissions to the schools she wants to attend academically. If she decides to hang up her spikes, it was a good run.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Don't get me wrong. I have a huge ego too I just push it aside and bury it way deep for the kids sake. I probably should find an outlet before that goes bad...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The DD is quickly coming to a close of her pitching career, being a rising senior in HS. Given her size (5'3" 115 lbs) she'll never be the power pitcher most collegiate coaches are looking for. She had a great HS season and has pitched a few times this summer in showcase events - the first was a disaster, the other this past weekend a great success - at both events a very good D III coach was there to see her play - very different results. I was there to see both - tears behind the sunglasses after the 1st go round, and could not have been more proud of her performance the second; but she would never know how I felt since my outward expression and conversation after the game was the same " Hungry"?

She may or may not go on to play in college - this decision is hers and is strictly based on admissions to the schools she wants to attend academically. If she decides to hang up her spikes, it was a good run.

May I correct you on something, if you don't mind?

She is coming to the end of her HIGH SCHOOL pitching career. This is not necessarily the end of her pitching career. (After all, Amanda Scarborough was one of the top college pitchers in her prime, and she was a mere 5' 5").

As you mentioned, she MIGHT play in college, and they may or may not want her to pitch. She might decide to play with some adult club teams. Some of those teams are always looking for a decent pitcher.

And, she will always have the memories to cherish the rest of her life.

Think about what you still have to look forwards to-- her senior year at HS, her last season on her HS team, her HS graduation, starting college, possible college games, her college graduation, and, if things go well, someday you may get to walk her down the aisle for THE ONE.

All of this will come and go in the blink of an eye.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

May I correct you on something, if you don't mind?

She is coming to the end of her HIGH SCHOOL pitching career. This is not necessarily the end of her pitching career. (After all, Amanda Scarborough was one of the top college pitchers in her prime, and she was a mere 5' 5").

As you mentioned, she MIGHT play in college, and they may or may not want her to pitch. She might decide to play with some adult club teams. Some of those teams are always looking for a decent pitcher.

And, she will always have the memories to cherish the rest of her life.

Think about what you still have to look forwards to-- her senior year at HS, her last season on her HS team, her HS graduation, starting college, possible college games, her college graduation, and, if things go well, someday you may get to walk her down the aisle for THE ONE.

All of this will come and go in the blink of an eye.

To BIM's point, do not buy in to the BS of what you must be in terms of height and velocity to pitch in college. Very few college pitchers throw 65+ and most do not throw above 60mph. If you can move the ball and put it in a tea cup you will pitch in college.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Totally agree. Saw more than one pitcher in this year's WCWS that did not consistently break 60-62 MPH but had great spin and control. DD's previous pitching coach was the horse on a team that won NCAA Division II national championship (and was runner-up the following year) at basically 5'5" and cruising speed with spin of 58-62 MPH with filthy spin.

Perhaps the poster's DD will not pitch for Alabama or Oklahoma, but she'll pitch somewhere (II, III, NAIA, etc.) if she works hard enough. JMHO.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Totally agree. Saw more than one pitcher in this year's WCWS that did not consistently break 60-62 MPH but had great spin and control. DD's previous pitching coach was the horse on a team that won NCAA Division II national championship (and was runner-up the following year) at basically 5'5" and cruising speed with spin of 58-62 MPH with filthy spin.

Perhaps the poster's DD will not pitch for Alabama or Oklahoma, but she'll pitch somewhere (II, III, NAIA, etc.) if she works hard enough. JMHO.

I think a lot of athletes face the dilemma of being good enough to play somewhere but not good enough to play at their school of choice. Since softball comes second to an education for many, they opt for the better education and hang up the cleats in college. I know when the time comes if I have to give DD advice on pitching at Humbolt state or getting an education at UCLA, it will be an easy decision.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think a lot of athletes face the dilemma of being good enough to play somewhere but not good enough to play at their school of choice. Since softball comes second to an education for many, they opt for the better education and hang up the cleats in college. I know when the time comes if I have to give DD advice on pitching at Humbolt state or getting an education at UCLA, it will be an easy decision.
But there are a lot of very good academic schools in D3 where she might be able to get both. Though the tuition is likely to be a bit more than Humbolt State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi