Pitchers Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2012
As a pitcher's parent and coach, it's the fact that every play starts with what my daughter does that makes it so nerve wracking. A game can be won or lost in the circle - that pressure is what makes it hard to be a pitcher's parent. While we do invest the time and money into developing a player, and we don't want to see her fail, we have to realize that those bad days are going to happen. In that position, everyone is focused on her and it is very easy to place the blame there - and that makes it hard to watch sometimes as a parent.

With her still being at 14U, I never judge her performance on wins and losses, always on whether or not she got the results she wanted - strike outs, ground balls at people, popups, etc. If she is making the pitches she needs to make and getting the swings she wants, wins and losses to me are irrelevant. I also very infrequently talk to her when she is pitching because the last thing she needs is me in her head :) . I can say that I honestly enjoy games more when she plays CF...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I loved being a pitcher's parent, both in softball and baseball. I don't get nervous over the games and I always wonder about the parent that is pacing and fretting. That doesn't seem like any fun, to me. My kids were prepared to do the best job possible.

I sat by a mom, last year that was physically ill over the job (or lack of it) her DD was doing pitching in LL. Her daughter was not prepared and had not put any work into getting better.

It is like preparing for a test, a speech or a piano recital. If you haven't worked on it at home, it probably isn't going to end well.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
The reality is that very few TB teams and even fewer HS teams have the coaching expertise to develop pitchers. These coaches rely on the parents to invest (heavily) in the development of pitchers with outside resources, then they complain when the parent takes exception to them mucking with the end product.

AMEN!!!! But try getting them to be humble enough to recognize that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know my "pucker factor" goes up exponentially in bracket play when my DD is pitching because the team is counting on her!

Feb 22, 2013
As a pitcher's parent, what I consider to be a good pitch and what my wife considers to be a good pitch are two different things. I think a riseball up and away on an 0-2 pitch that the batter couldn't reach with a 10' pole is a good pitch, where my wife would be screaming at my dd to "FOCUS!" I think changing planes and changing speeds are good things, where my wife thinks that my dd is pitching erratically and wild. I am sure that if my wife thinks that my dd's pitching is wild, that there are a handful of parents watching the game are sharing similar thoughts.

My dd was picked up a few weeks ago to play as a pickup pitcher. After several games, the players and coaches started asking my dd if her parents were divorced because they sit on opposite sides of the field. My dd laughed and said everybody always asks her that. Then she went on to tell them that if you listen to her parents, every once in a while you will hear them yell opposite comments after a pitch. A changeup in the dirt to a good hitter will get a great pitch response from one side of the field and will get a make better pitches or focus response from the other side of the field.

I know that my dd's parents are pitcher's parents and they are crazy. One sits on a bucket and catches day after day and tries to help with the physical and mental aspects of the game. The other tells her how to focus and just throw strikes.

Feb 7, 2013
I loved being a pitcher's parent, both in softball and baseball. I don't get nervous over the games and I always wonder about the parent that is pacing and fretting. That doesn't seem like any fun, to me. My kids were prepared to do the best job possible.

I sat by a mom, last year that was physically ill over the job (or lack of it) her DD was doing pitching in LL. Her daughter was not prepared and had not put any work into getting better.

It is like preparing for a test, a speech or a piano recital. If you haven't worked on it at home, it probably isn't going to end well.

I love being a pitcher's parent too and DD puts in the hard work each week. The issue that causes stress at game is the pitch calling by her coaches! When I used to call the pitches I was a lot less stressed because I was at least in control and could help her perform pretty well in the circle. When you have to give that control over to volunteer coaches who don't really have a vested interest in DD, it can be tough at times. And of course the coaches could care less what knowledge you have as a bucket dad.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Hi, my name is _______, and I am the father of 2 pitchers. That makes me a nut, but I am unashamed.

I have spent hundreds of hours sitting on a bucket catching for my DD's.

I have bruises and bumps on my body that haven't healed in years--all from being hit by softballs.

I have dried the tears of a frustrated daughter on more than one occasion.

I have shared in my DD's joy when she has been successful.

I have invested countless hours researching and studying both the science and the art of windmill pitching.

I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be able to afford to retire, as long as my DD's continue to play travel ball. :cool:

I have argued with the HC of a DIII fast pitch team over the "safety" of I/R pitching after I politely stepped in to refuse the "correction" (HE mechanics) she was offering to my DD.

I have, due to lack of PC's in my area, decided it is better to teach I/R to my DD's myself than to waste hundreds of dollars sending them to PC's who think being a former pitcher automatically qualifies them to teach pitching.

I prefer to sit in CF to watch my DD pitch.

There is nothing on earth I'd rather do than watch my girls play ball.

Dec 7, 2011

The only relaxed parent of a pitcher I have ever seen was the mother of the best rec league pitcher where her DD never got challenged. THIS is easy.

But when you seek to find new challenging levels for your DD to pitch, regardless of her practice level, she is going to experience failure and I don't know how a parent can be calm within their childs momentary "failure".....

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I dunno.

Maybe Amy is AZ is an unusually wise or serene person, and really believes softball is just a game.

DD #1 has a very close friend who seems to have exactly the same attitude whether she strikes out or hits a grand slam. She just laughs everything off. However, this girl is not really that competitive.

It is better if you don't let them see, or hear, you sweat. I remember the advice I got from a blind gambler. He said I was giving up way too much information, even though I kept a complete poker face. Of course, he couldn't see my face. My breathing gave it away.

I like the fact that the HC and AC for DD #3's TB team make her breathe properly when she is pitching. She pitches a LOT better that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles