Pitcher with torn ACL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
One of my high school pitchers tore her ACL at high school practice last week. :(

She's out for the season and summer.

I talked to her last night, she's totally bummed but trying to keep her spirits up, and taking it as best as can be expected.

She asked for anything she can do while she is down, telling me the worse part is not being able to do anything.

I also thought if anyone had any inspirational stories of players coming back from injuries they could pass on, I could send her and that would help as well.
Thanks.

Nov 7, 2014
the #2 pitcher on my DD's HS team has a injured MCL on her stride leg and it has been very tough for her she has to wear a brace and keeps reinjuring it. I feel really sorry for the girl. She is a very good movement pitcher but every time the doctor releases her with in a few weeks it gets reinjured :(

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Maybe not the best role model but Adrian Peterson tore his ACL in December one year and they next year he lead the NFL in rushing.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
One of my favorite students just injured her MCL in basketball. I know... shouldn't have favorites...

Keeping fingers crossed that the results remain a sprain and that she has a smooth road to recovery.

Wishing your student the best Jojo!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Tough news, but it should only be a temporary setback. DD had ACL reconstruction due to a VB injury as a HS Jr. Followed her PT program to the letter and was cleared 6 months to the day after surgery to play without restriction. Was back in top hitting form within 3 weeks and top catching form within 2 months. Hasn't looked back and is still catching 4 years later - knock on wood. DD's experience seems to be be the norm among her peers (although some orthos recommend a brace long-term and some like DD's doc don't) as long as they follow their PT regimen, which can be tailored to include sport-specific movements.

Good luck!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I had a situation a few years back where a student fell and broke her leg. Can't remember the exact circumstances that caused it, but she was in a cast from her hip to her ankle.

She was worried about losing too much time in the off-season, so she and her dad asked if there was anything we could do. I rounded up a beat-up stool and had her sit on it with her non-broken stride leg in its normal position out in front, and the broken leg behind her more or less. We then worked on whip and spins, and finding release points on various pitches. It helped keep her going, both physically and mentally, and once she was cleared for full activity she was a better pitcher than she'd been before.

I always try to look at these sorts of injuries as an opportunity to work on something you probably wouldn't have otherwise. No student (or parent) is going to be happy working on isolating the upper body for a few weeks if they're healthy. But when it becomes better than nothing you can get a lot accomplished!

Good luck with your student. Hope it's a (relatively) fast recovery.

Apr 8, 2013
Assuming she is able to move with crutches, cast, chair, whatever without a lot of pain or risk for further damage, have her on the bus for road games and use her at all games charting pitches, keeping the book, etc. She is still on the team. This is her chance to grow as a leader. Your team will grow and bond this year, things will happen on the bus, there will be memorable games where emotions run high for everyone and she needs to be a part of that. Sometimes when players miss a season due to injury they distance themselves from the team emotionally and then when they come back they feel like an outsider.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi