Participation awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Let's put it this way...JV players don't get letters. If everyone got letters, then I would say it compares to the Participation award...but the only way to get a Letter is to earn that spot on the varsity team. It's not necessarily about winning, but working hard and proving that you are good enough for varsity. However, I will say that this probably doesn't apply to all schools because I am sure that at some schools, talent is spread thin and/or politics overrule (which really sucks IMO).

Edited to add...for us, the Varsity has to earn starting in at least 5 district games (I think?).

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Here's an interesting wrinkle: DD was injured during last year's high school (varsity) season. The injury came after the sixth game of the season; DD had pitched every single inning of every single game until the point at which she sustained two stress fractures and two bulging discs in her back. DD went to physical therapy during regular practice times, and accompanied the team to all of their games for the remainder of the season.

The end of season banquet rolled around, and the coach game her a participation award in lieu of a varsity letter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't have a problem with participation trophies for rec leagues. Rec ball is about more than just winning (it should be, anyway).

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
The end of season banquet rolled around, and the coach game her a participation award in lieu of a varsity letter.

Dang Indiana...that's harsh. I was mad when the coach told parents at the beginning of the year that anyone on the varsity roster would get one if we made it to state. Lo and behold we did, no letter for my kid. Of course she only played 3 varsity games as a freshman so she didn't deserve it but it was a little humiliating when she was the only one not to get a letter at the banquet. But I kept my mouth shut...which is good because your daughter's experience is worse. Hope she's all better now.

Jan 23, 2014
Indiana, that is so messed up. My freshman year in track I was a thrower. There were 5 or 6 of us, I think. I also can't remember the qualifications for earning a letter, but it probably had to do something with how many track meets you participated in or something, maybe you had to represent in districts? Coach was a very good one and had been for 20 years. The end of season rolls around and Coach asks to talk to myself and another girl. Even though we weren't representing the team in districts he said that every other year he had coached our numbers would have been good enough to do so and that year everyone was performing exceptionally well so he was going to letter us anyway. That's an outstanding thing to do. What that coach did to your daughter was despicable.

Nov 3, 2012
Here's an interesting wrinkle: DD was injured during last year's high school (varsity) season. The injury came after the sixth game of the season; DD had pitched every single inning of every single game until the point at which she sustained two stress fractures and two bulging discs in her back. DD went to physical therapy during regular practice times, and accompanied the team to all of their games for the remainder of the season.

In my experience in various sports, the coaches have a pre-determined requirement for an athlete to letter. My son is on a tennis team, and the coach is liberal and all you have to do is compete in one varsity match to letter. The wrestling team at our school is determined by meeting a certain level of team points at the varsity level. Im surprised that 6 games wouldnt be enough to letter, thats crappy.

Also maybe another backstory here, but mabye it's not a coincidence that your DD got injured because she pitched every inning. Did the coach overwork her and contribute to the injury.

Nov 3, 2012
My take on participation awards is that they are given out to give kids recognition of some level of success at the sport so they can keep them interested to come back. There's so much competition between various sports and other activities, that you have to do extra things to keep the kid interested. Its less to do with making sure the kids egos are not hurt. The James Harrison scthick about turning back his particpation awards is just a show to keep him relevant and in the news. If James Harrison's kids played travell softball, he probably would be one of the crazy parents. Of course no one would mess him.

The participation award argument is in line with the rec ball vs travel ball experience. If you play rec ball, its mostly developmental and fun and all about the participation experience. Particpation awards are very relevant. Fastpitch is competitive, and more about winning than participation, so participation awards are not relevant.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
My DD'S had to meet a certain criteria set forth by the coach before the season. One of the coaches had a footnote that he had the sole right to pass out a letter to anyone who he thought earned one, even if they didn't meet the criteria.

Dec 27, 2014
I don't have a problem with participation trophies for rec leagues. Rec ball is about more than just winning (it should be, anyway).
DD has gotten participation trophies in softball, basketball, soccer, gymnastics and probably others that I am forgetting about. :D

Those "awards" ceremonies at a pizza place or park are very fun for her. To see the joy on the face of a child as she accepts her trophy or metal is something I always enjoy. I have coached or been involved with many of these teams or activities. We put the girls through 6-8 weeks of practices, games or performances. EACH girl HAS grown in some way from week one to week eight. I say they have earned the trophy. The look of joy is remembering all the work, and experiences they had and validates their effort.

I would rather have more encouragement for kids to continue sports, rather than less, but I can see how competitive and rec teams are two different animals for this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad