Help with awards question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2016
Hello I need some help. Okay our end of the season awards banquet is coming up. One of our girls (High School Varsity for what it's worth) was not able to play after receiving a cancer diagnosis. She sat in the dugout with us and kept book when she could. The question that I have is I want to honor her and provide her an season award and Varsity letter. I am just not sure what the award should be, I don't want it to be disrespectful or meaningless. I can't come up with anything can you all help me out?

May 27, 2022
Hello I need some help. Okay our end of the season awards banquet is coming up. One of our girls (High School Varsity for what it's worth) was not able to play after receiving a cancer diagnosis. She sat in the dugout with us and kept book when she could. The question that I have is I want to honor her and provide her an season award and Varsity letter. I am just not sure what the award should be, I don't want it to be disrespectful or meaningless. I can't come up with anything can you all help me out?

Award Ideas:
- Grit Award
- Teammate Award
- Dedication Award (my favorite)
- Blood/Sweat/Tears Award
- Overachiever Award (if it truly was debilitating for her)
- Perseverance Award (although might be best after she beats cancer)

I assume you're in Iowa if you season just ended?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If there isn't an established award to give her (most dedicated, etc.), I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to create an award just for her/this situation. Definitely give her the varsity letter. Acknowledge her and her contributions at the banquet.

I get your reservation because it could come across as patronizing even though it's not meant that way, and it's possible she doesn't even want a fabricated award if she doesn't feel like she earned it. You know the girl. Would doing this make her feel better?

I'm not saying definitely don't do it, but I'm uneasy about bringing more attention to her battle with cancer. I'm also weird about stuff like this, and everybody else probably would just see it as a nice gesture.

Dec 6, 2019
Our school does a "Sportsmanship" award for every varsity and junior varsity team. It has no defined meaning.

Apr 27, 2020
Watch ESPN tonight…..the sports support family for cancer….lots of inspiring speeches and ideas…..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad