Paid Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
as a TB coach, with a staff of 2 with a 3rd part time AC, we devoted hundreds of hours to
scheduling, tournament applications, practice plans, travel arrangements etc. each year only to have 1-2 families complain that
we were not perfect. It is always these families that asked for the budget and questioned the $$
collected toward equipment as they must think softballs last forever even when we used them for
hitting at every practice and at tournaments etc. We were questioned about everything including
hotel choices, but NEVER did a parent step up to help. In light of this logistical nightmare, I always paid an equal share
and more. One parent did suggest to the families that our hotels be built into travel costs the last year the team was together
which was a blessing.

OP- yes, the costs are very high especially for a parent coached 14U team. Take into consideration
what the coaches go thru every year and don't be 'that parent'.....instead, suggest that their childs
uniform costs and tournament fee be built into the team budget as a few hundred $$ for the effort put
forth by the coaches should be enough.

This all being said, I know of a non-parent coach who is a decent coach who charges $100/mo
per family for his time. His teams are competitive and the girls are happy, this is not an objectionable cost
for the hours it takes to run a team.

Sep 29, 2014
as a TB coach, with a staff of 2 with a 3rd part time AC, we devoted hundreds of hours to
scheduling, tournament applications, practice plans, travel arrangements etc. each year only to have 1-2 families complain that
we were not perfect. It is always these families that asked for the budget and questioned the $$
collected toward equipment as they must think softballs last forever even when we used them for
hitting at every practice and at tournaments etc. We were questioned about everything including
hotel choices, but NEVER did a parent step up to help. In light of this logistical nightmare, I always paid an equal share
and more. One parent did suggest to the families that our hotels be built into travel costs the last year the team was together
which was a blessing.

OP- yes, the costs are very high especially for a parent coached 14U team. Take into consideration
what the coaches go thru every year and don't be 'that parent'.....instead, suggest that their childs
uniform costs and tournament fee be built into the team budget as a few hundred $$ for the effort put
forth by the coaches should be enough.

This all being said, I know of a non-parent coach who is a decent coach who charges $100/mo
per family for his time. His teams are competitive and the girls are happy, this is not an objectionable cost
for the hours it takes to run a team.

So if the team has 13 players times $100 per month = $1300 times 12 months = $15,600 that to me is objectionable but I misunderstood the OP the first time so I'm probably misunderstanding this as well.

My apologies for not reading more carefully I'm just not seeing it...especially for the assistants maybe for the head coach who is actually doing all the work but it does not take three guys to run a 14U softball team...it does take three good guys to run a really good practice though but that is not all the behind the scenes stuff, but then I go back to what are other teams doing if every team is charging $2500 then it's best to make the decision of the team and not $$, unless of course you don't have the money.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
3 coaches don't have to pay their kids yearly dues of $2150. 2150 X 3(coaches) = $6450. Take $6450 and divide that between the remaining 10 players and each player is now had their dues go up roughly $650. So, original dues per player were $2150. Now with the 3 coaches not having to pay their kids dues...10 players now pay $2800.

If that is the case then I would have some major issues with that scenario. Now I understand why they did not give you any details about the team budget at tryouts, had they told you about that upfront they may have had a very difficult time filling a roster.

I could see that flying if all three coaches had NPF backgrounds. lol

Jun 29, 2013
I'm not offended by waiving a head coach's dues, but waiving for both assistants is where they lose me. You're asking too much of the rest of the team at that point, especially the poor girls who are 11-13 on the depth chart (betting none of the coach's kids are sitting on Sunday. If the organization is a non-profit, ask to see the bylaws to see if the board is on board with this plan. If they are, you have a hard decision- is the experience really worth that much money?

Jun 12, 2015
I'm not offended by waiving a head coach's dues, but waiving for both assistants is where they lose me. You're asking too much of the rest of the team at that point, especially the poor girls who are 11-13 on the depth chart (betting none of the coach's kids are sitting on Sunday. If the organization is a non-profit, ask to see the bylaws to see if the board is on board with this plan. If they are, you have a hard decision- is the experience really worth that much money?

I agree, even as the wife of an assistant coach who pays full price for his kid. I also don't really have an issue with a paid coach - it's so much time and money to coach. DH is only an AC but he's constantly buying crap he wants to use for practices, in addition to the time and emotional resources it uses up. The problem IMO is that this was not disclosed going in. I have a major problem with a lack of transparency in these things so that would annoy me a lot.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
So if the team has 13 players times $100 per month = $1300 times 12 months = $15,600 that to me is objectionable but I misunderstood the OP the first time so I'm probably misunderstanding this as well.

The 100/mo runs for the season as a HS age team does not practice/play during HS Season.
The season generally begins late May thru Early July. Fall season also is 2-3 mos. Even in the sunny south
we don't go 12 straight months where HS is taken into consideration. The question becomes-
Is it worth $100/mo for a few seasons to have a return of thousands of $$ in scholarship?

Getting back to OP-14U is still a bunch of girls playing for fun and a social event- get the information/do your homework and
make good choices at 16-18U as the window is very small.

Regarding ASA Nationals- this is a very prestigious honor. It means a great deal to the parents and coaches, however
once those girls begin college it means nothing. I am a fan of the showcase circuit at the higher age groups

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
I'm just local team coach with DD this summer 16u. Put 11 girls together picked local and showcase tourny for 6 total tournys. Totaled cost- tourny, uni, insurance, balls, etc, plus $20 per player. Divided by 11 ran little over $700 per player, some wrote chk some made installments. Finished season, gave everyone spreadsheet with expenditures and refund of money not used divided by 11. I included DD in cost and refund. I did all the coache jobs as already mentioned. I didn't get paid nor assistents and that's pretty common here.

Mar 21, 2013
The lack of disclosure stuff is a red flag for me. Been there and done that. One thing for certain is that a lot of coaches that are not transparent and honest up front will most likely not be transparent or honest in the future. That being said if there is a return on your investment i.e. the coaches are fantastic and can teach the needed skills better than those in your area then maybe for the head coach only. However, most quality coaches or org heads will tell you up front when that's the case.

Another thing to consider is peace of mind. If you are somewhat uncomfortable with it now, then find out these coaches play daddy ball, and you realize you are paying for girls to play who maybe shouldn't be you are really going to be pissed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi