Paid Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was never compensated nor given a discount when my DD was playing TB. Once she left for college expenses such as hotels have been covered. However, I do not get money for meals since even if I was not coaching I would still need to eat. I am also not compensated for my time, which I am more than happy to donate. I also will not change players on my team for pitching lessons since it is a slippery slope when it comes to circle time. IMO if you are an good experienced coach, compensation for your time at anything resembling a fair rate is well beyond what the market can bear. :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
As a new player on the team it is hard to tell. If it is a well oiled machine with everything running smoothly and no drama sure it would be worth it (not sure that even exists)...but not having a budget or what the fee would be when someone asks tells me it is probably not.

I would ask around to other parents on the team and other organizations in the area if they do have a good reputation and what the average fee in the area is, if the fee is not out of line and their reputation is good and other parents and kids on the team are happy and you and DD are otherwise happy on the team I would not leave the team over $65.

Feb 15, 2016
Here's the scenario:

My daughter wanted to tryout for a 1st year 14u team this year. She goes to tryouts and makes the team. The exact season costs were never brought up...just generalizations by the head coach saying it would "be in-line with every other team." So, we agree to be on the team. Weeks go by and then we receive a budget. In the budget, it states that all coaches will be paid (atleast the coaches will not have to pay dues for their kids on the team). That would be an extra $700 per player, except for the coaches kids. This is not a big name organization.

Does this sound right? Does this sound right even for a big name org? Should we get as far away as possible from this team? Just need a little advise to see if this is the norm once you get to 14U.

I have never been paid to coach but I think it depends on your organization. In some organizations they count on dads or moms to be free assistant coaches. That seems fine to me if nobody is really getting paid. Maybe the HC of each team gets some travel expenses taken care of. When you start getting to bigger organizations that are making money on softball with actual paid staff I want to see where the money goes before I start volunteering my time blindly.

Some of the BEST coaches my DDs have played for were dads with daughters on the team.

Sep 17, 2009
I was never compensated nor given a discount when my DD was playing TB. Once she left for college expenses such as hotels have been covered. However, I do not get money for meals since even if I was not coaching I would still need to eat. I am also not compensated for my time, which I am more than happy to donate. I also will not change players on my team for pitching lessons since it is a slippery slope when it comes to circle time. IMO if you are an good experienced coach, compensation for your time at anything resembling a fair rate is well beyond what the market can bear. :)

This is very good guidance. Some coaches/teams will take it to the next level in terms of paying "professional" coaches that do the work full-time, usually in association with an academy etc. Which is fine and usually disclosed ahead of time. What the OP described seems wrong on many levels.

Dec 6, 2016
Just to be clear...the fee's for a player that doesn't have a dad coaching goes up $650 per player! Not $65. That's why I'm having such a hard time with it.

Dec 6, 2016
3 coaches don't have to pay their kids yearly dues of $2150. 2150 X 3(coaches) = $6450. Take $6450 and divide that between the remaining 10 players and each player is now had their dues go up roughly $650. So, original dues per player were $2150. Now with the 3 coaches not having to pay their kids dues...10 players now pay $2800.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I have never been compensated for coaching and to be honest, it probably cost me MORE to coach than it would have to just be a parent. Our team was on a tight budget and we had some families who were struggling, so the coaches would chip in extra $ to help cover their costs. I would also caution that just because a coach is being paid does not guarantee they know what they are talking about or will be good instructors.

I'm sure it cost you more to be a coach...it certainly cost me more whether I was the HC or an AC. Now, I'm just a parent who occasionally helps, and I'm starting to have concerns about how much EXTRA the coaches are paying. They dance around it when I bring it up, but I know how much things cost.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
3 coaches don't have to pay their kids yearly dues of $2150. 2150 X 3(coaches) = $6450. Take $6450 and divide that between the remaining 10 players and each player is now had their dues go up roughly $650. So, original dues per player were $2150. Now with the 3 coaches not having to pay their kids dues...10 players now pay $2800.

That's a significant sum of money. For that much, I'd want to see a detailed breakdown of projected expenses. I'd also want some form of monthly / quarterly payment plan, and know exactly where the money would be sitting during the year.

As others have stated, unless the coaches bring something above and beyond where you'd find elsewhere, I'd be really careful.

Feb 15, 2016

That is not typical. Usually dad assistants do it for free. I could see maybe a $500 (roughly 25%) discount for being an assistant but not a complete waiver of the fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi