Outfielder pet peeve.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Aside from one of MLB's most cowardly rulings over this play, I believe the catch and throw at the beginning of the video is the type of OF mechanic you are supporting

I wish you hadn't posted that, got me all bent out of shape first thing in the morning!:D but something I want to note- in that video, not only was the wrong call made, but the baserunner never touched the plate.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As the father of an outfielder, my pet peeves are the constant need to be told by coaches where to position yourself in the outfield, without taking any responsibility for that yourself; and, of course, making mindless throws that allow base runners to move up.

Jun 12, 2015
As the father of an outfielder, my pet peeves are the constant need to be told by coaches where to position yourself in the outfield, without taking any responsibility for that yourself; and, of course, making mindless throws that allow base runners to move up.

Especially when it's "Take 3 steps left!" or "Take a big step right!" Really? That step is going to matter? I mean, it's one thing at younger ages when they're way off but c'mon!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Some coaches like to position outfielders based on how they are going to pitch to the batter, so do not be offended by slight adjustments.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Especially when it's "Take 3 steps left!" or "Take a big step right!" Really? That step is going to matter? I mean, it's one thing at younger ages when they're way off but c'mon!

Then there's always, ''Hey Becky, came your way last time!'' OK. Thanks for the heads up. I will actually pay attention, in that case.

Some coaches like to position outfielders based on how they are going to pitch to the batter, so do not be offended by slight adjustments.

That's all good. Coaches may coach. I'm talking about girls who literally don't move unless they are coached. They don't size up the hitter or keep track of where the opposing team is in the batting order or remember what a player did the previous at-bat, or notice the player's swing, etc. They treat the 80-pound slapper and the 160-pound slugger just the same. They have a happy spot where they like to stand and don't move unless instructed. A couple of years ago, DD was playing LF. We had never played this team, but we knew one batter, and DD had seen her hit a bunch of HR in the past. When she came up, DD was playing shallow. I asked her after the game why she was playing so close against 'Cameron.' She says she positioned herself based on where the CF was. Really? Cameron burned the CF. I thought of having DD hitch-hike home.

Jun 12, 2015
One thing I love about iScore is when each batter comes up, it tells you where they hit before. As long as you put that in accurately you'll know exactly what happened last time if you're like me and won't remember on your own. If one hit a shot to the fence in center field I can make sure the coach backs her up and gets her ready. That stuff makes sense to me.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
One thing I love about iScore is when each batter comes up, it tells you where they hit before. As long as you put that in accurately you'll know exactly what happened last time if you're like me and won't remember on your own. If one hit a shot to the fence in center field I can make sure the coach backs her up and gets her ready. That stuff makes sense to me.

If a player really cranked one the previous at-bat, I see that as meaningful. If the player flied to LF, that's not enough information to make any conclusions, IMO, thus my 'Came to you last time' comment. The ideal would be having something to track every pitch, with the location, result, including swings/misses, location of foul balls. Especially if you play a team more than once. That could have some value.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If a player really cranked one the previous at-bat, I see that as meaningful. If the player flied to LF, that's not enough information to make any conclusions, IMO, thus my 'Came to you last time' comment. The ideal would be having something to track every pitch, with the location, result, including swings/misses, location of foul balls. Especially if you play a team more than once. That could have some value.

Watching a player's hitting mechanics can also give you some clues concerning tendencies.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN

We call this "throwing doubles" on a single that was thrown home for no reason.

As in...

"Stop throwing doubles !!!!!!!!" :mad:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG