Outfielder pet peeve.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
It used to say crazy 10U mom in my signature, yes. It was tongue in cheek, because I see all the time, "10U parents are crazy." I'm mostly a left-brained/rational type so it was suppose to be a joke ;) Regardless not sure what that has to do w/ it? We have a TON of 8U and 10U teams where I live. We played B level 8U travel ball plus 8U rec. In 8U rec, we probably could have played decently without outfielders at all, the ball so rarely got past the infield. Not because our infield was awesome, just because there wasn't a ton of powerful hitting going on. Our 10U travel outfield gets the ball a lot. Anyway, my perspective is only based on my own experiences so far.

Feb 3, 2016
Definitely a stigma at the lower age groups about the OF. My kid loves CF or LF. I Think SS is a better fit because of her agressive fielding and lateral movement but she likes to limit hitters to singles or doubles. One parent of a girl on our team almost quit because her daughter wa placed in the OF for 2 full agonizing innings. Her DD was so offended by the coaching decision she was inconsolable after the game that won us the tournament. Can't make this stuff up. My kid just loves to play ball and doesn't care where but has been hinting she likes first now after going to on of the USSSA tryout deal. :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In HS my dd was considered a "starter" at SS, OF, 1B, & P when she started 4 years of varsity play. She played the same positions in TB. She was recruited as an OF. In college, she started 2 or 3 games in the OF and the rest at 1B. She played 1B the fewest of any position she started in either TB or HS. So, it is good to have a dd who can play OF but who knows where they will play in older TB, HS or college if they attempt to play in college.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
True, but it takes time and you have to have a coach willing to teach proper outfield play, and many of the coaches were not outfielders themselves.

You do not have to be a former gold glove outfielder to teach proper mechanics.....and when a coaches career depends on the teams success, you would think that putting a well trained defense on the field would be a priority.

Dec 19, 2012
You do not have to be a former gold glove outfielder to teach proper mechanics.....and when a coaches career depends on the teams success, you would think that putting a well trained defense on the field would be a priority.

You would think, but it doesn't always happen. It's apparent in the outfield play you see. I'm not saying one can't teach proper mechanics, I'm saying many coaches are not willing to put in the time teaching proper play.

Jun 12, 2015
My older DD plays left field primarily. The extent of her coaching during practice is them hitting pop flies to her and the other outfielders.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My older DD plays left field primarily. The extent of her coaching during practice is them hitting pop flies to her and the other outfielders.

I am not trying to make excuses for the coaches, but most TB teams practice once, maybe twice during the week, then play tournaments on the weekends. Practices are @ 1.5-2 hours, and there is a lot to cover with 12-15 players. I used to tell my players that if each one of them took a 30 minute batting lesson during the week it was equivalent to 6 hours of practice time (12 girls on the team). All that said, regardless of what position your DD plays, as a parent you can take the time and effort to work with them on their defense as well as their hitting. Can you imagine how good a team could be if all of the parents spend as much time working with their DD's as the pitchers parents do?

Throwing is also something you can work on at home. Watch for proper arm mechanics and footwork. Work on long toss and if your DD plays outfield it is important to know how to execute a "crow hop" throw home. Work on charging ground balls and making a strong throw home on the run. Work on drop steps and swiveling her hips. Work on diving for balls. One thing I did with my DD when she was younger was to hit tennis balls with a tennis racket to her in the outfield. I had more control over where the balls were going and could hit them farther with less effort than a softball. It is also easier to hit a ball with spin that the players needs to read on the ball.

Praise your DD for using proper technique to run to the spot and set up for a proper catch vs. just cruising to the ball and making the catch, but not being in position to make a strong throw home.

Last year our TB HC recruited outfielders based on their speed. Having fast players in the outfield is great, but if they take horrible angles to balls and cannot make strong throws home it is going to bite you in the butt.

Jun 12, 2015
I am not trying to make excuses for the coaches, but most TB teams practice once, maybe twice during the week, then play tournaments on the weekends. Practices are @ 1.5-2 hours, and there is a lot to cover with 12-15 players. I used to tell my players that if each one of them took a 30 minute batting lesson during the week it was equivalent to 6 hours of practice time (12 girls on the team). All that said, regardless of what position your DD plays, as a parent you can take the time and effort to work with them on their defense as well as their hitting. Can you imagine how good a team could be if all of the parents spend as much time working with their DD's as the pitchers parents do?

Throwing is also something you can work on at home. Watch for proper arm mechanics and footwork. Work on long toss and if your DD plays outfield it is important to know how to execute a "crow hop" throw home. Work on charging ground balls and making a strong throw home on the run. Work on drop steps and swiveling her hips. Work on diving for balls. One thing I did with my DD when she was younger was to hit tennis balls with a tennis racket to her in the outfield. I had more control over where the balls were going and could hit them farther with less effort than a softball. It is also easier to hit a ball with spin that the players needs to read on the ball.

Praise your DD for using proper technique to run to the spot and set up for a proper catch vs. just cruising to the ball and making the catch, but not being in position to make a strong throw home.

Last year our TB HC recruited outfielders based on their speed. Having fast players in the outfield is great, but if they take horrible angles to balls and cannot make strong throws home it is going to bite you in the butt.
She just plays rec, and doesn't care enough to practice on her own. They're just rec coaches, I don't really fault them. Even with the very low intensity practices, they're undefeated this spring. There's some real talent on the team, I guess the parents (or kids) just don't want the commitment of travel. We've got 2 pitchers/middle infielders who really stand out. I'm not sure what we'll do after next year. I'm pretty sure they don't even have 14U rec in this program.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She just plays rec, and doesn't care enough to practice on her own. They're just rec coaches, I don't really fault them. Even with the very low intensity practices, they're undefeated this spring. There's some real talent on the team, I guess the parents (or kids) just don't want the commitment of travel. We've got 2 pitchers/middle infielders who really stand out. I'm not sure what we'll do after next year. I'm pretty sure they don't even have 14U rec in this program.

A lot of the better players start TB at 10U and by 12U the REC leagues are pretty decimated of talent. 14U REC ball is very watered down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez