Outfield fences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Purdue did build a really nice stadium. If people didn't know, its now 2 years old. They had the space to manipulate how long or short the fences were, so I'm thinking it was intentional to build it that size intentionally. Wonder if coach Schuette had input.
I think the strange thing is that they built a $13 Million stadium, but they only had 12 home games this season. So do you think the better facilities will help Purdue in the long run, or is it just an arms race and Purdue's just keeping up with the other teams.

Jun 11, 2013
You would think it would lower it, but it also adds a lot more room to cover in the OF. How many singles become doubles and doubles become triples or OF might play a few feet back allowing more balls to drop in front of them. The benefit is that you at least have a shot to catch some that before were 4 bases.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a big 10 fan, Michigan has thier nitch but if I was good at softball or baseball I am not playing in the Big10.

Really good I guess, been to a few games everyone on the field is really good.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Purdue did build a really nice stadium. If people didn't know, its now 2 years old. They had the space to manipulate how long or short the fences were, so I'm thinking it was intentional to build it that size intentionally. Wonder if coach Schuette had input.
I think the strange thing is that they built a $13 Million stadium, but they only had 12 home games this season. So do you think the better facilities will help Purdue in the long run, or is it just an arms race and Purdue's just keeping up with the other teams.

With the weather in IN, Purdue plays all of their games away before Spring Break, then they come back and start B1G play which is usually split 1/2 home and 1/2 away, so the field will not get much use other than practices. My guess is Purdue had to build something to prevent Title IX problems considering the Mac Daddy baseball stadium they built a couple of years ago. Softball stadium seems to be a 3/4 size replica of the baseball facility.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am a big 10 fan, Michigan has thier nitch but if I was good at softball or baseball I am not playing in the Big10.

With fractional scholarships the best fit often becomes a more difficult decision. Would you rather go to an SEC school with a chance at playing in the WCWS or to a school with a better academic reputation, and a higher percentage of athletic/academic scholarship money? What if you knew some of the SEC schools pushed their players into specific majors to keep them eligible? What if the SEC school had 25+ girls on their roster, while the B1G school had less than 20 (NCAA limit is 20 players in the dugout)? Auburn had 10+ players sitting in the stands during the WCWS. If a school is bringing in 8+ recruits/class how many players are they "pushing out" every year? What are the chances your DD will finish her college career with a degree in a major that is in demand?

How much is a trip to the WCWS worth? In my example below, assuming a player stayed all 4 years at the same scholarship percentage, the difference out of pocket would be $96K dollars....

ABC school
$40K/year - tuition, books, lodging and meals
20% athletic scholarship
~ $32K out of pocket

XYZ school
$40K/year - tuition, books, lodging and meals
80% athletic scholarship
~ $8K out of pocket

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Anyone know the dimensions of the field for the WCWS? I am guessing the fence is 6' after watching Tiffany Howard bring back that HR ball in game 2.

I believe that the NCAA established minimum fence heights (i.e., 6 ft) and distances (i.e., 210 down the lines, 220 or 230 to center) for a team to be considered for hosting a regional tournament.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
DD's high school field is 225'. Only two home runs per year the past three years were allowed by both teams. Total of 6. What it does do is bump up the doubles and triples. For the 3rd year in a row, one of our girls has led the league in triples. It helps that she hits down the right field line. I would have to say that the effect on ERA's is minimal. You lose HR's, but gain EBH's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck