Out at the park this weekend - overcritical Mom

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
....at least I HOPE she was the mom. Bad enough if it was her kid, if she'd been on mine like that the results would not have been pretty.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head. We were waiting around for a previous game to finish and a catcher tried to pick off a runner at first. It didn't work and allowed a runner on second to take third. So the lady keeping score starts screaming her head off at the girl, "D#&n it! Blah, blah, blah. So-and-so, keep your head in the game!"

Ok, I'll admit that it was a risky low-percentage play, but the thing is: 1) it was a 12UB pool game and 2) they were up 16-2 on the other team. Isn't that the ideal time to be trying things and taking chances? What do you bet that some day in the future, she'll be yelling at the kid for her lack of aggression? Poor kid.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yup I like the play as well. If the runner is getting too far off the bag, let the catcher throw. I really like it when bases are loaded with 2 outs, typically the runner on 1st takes a huge lead. We call for a pickoff play. More times than not we get her.

Apr 1, 2010
and up by 14 runs???? I mean, come on, why on earth would you yell at a kid for taking the chance there? Unless you're some sort of raving jerk lunatic... The more I thought about it, the more it upset me.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I like the play if it's a called play. Then you have a pitch out. F4 coming in behind the runner to receive the ball and F9 backing up. Otherwise it's a very high risk, low percentage play. I don't care about the score. Have a plan.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
If it was her own daughter I bet the kid quits before high school.

If it was not her daughter I hope the parent shared some choice words with her.

Apr 9, 2012
Wow. If someone irritated you Ms D then it was BAD!!

And you are correct-kids need to learn through failure. Its an easy opportunity when your up big. Now theat mom has taught that girl to not take risks when this game is about risks.

Sad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi