Other Video Camera options?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Josh. I will set the camera to record at 2.75 at 30fps as recommended on your website. Hopefully, this might help. I will give it another shot. I purchased the gopro fence mount from u.
Thanks again.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Josh. I will set the camera to record at 2.75 at 30fps as recommended on your website. Hopefully, this might help. I will give it another shot. I purchased the gopro fence mount from u.
Thanks again.
The only thing I would note as a concern that is the 2.75K video will be in wide FOV. You will be able to digitally crop it down in post production, but the final resolution might be a wash compared to 1080p, which will allow you to shoot in Medium and Narrow. It is very frustrating that they don't allow more FOV options at higher resolutions.

Note: In the post on our website, we list the maximum usable resolution, but it isn't our recommendation. Our recommendation is 1080p/60 FPS for the Hero 4 Silver. I will try to add that to the website, as I can see how that could be confusing.

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
Any reviews on the Gopro Hero4 Session I'm using a Casio to film at bats and Pitching but not the whole games yet

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Any reviews on the Gopro Hero4 Session I'm using a Casio to film at bats and Pitching but not the whole games yet

I just posted an update to our blog with our review of the Session, as compared to the Hero 4 Silver. At the end, I have a split screen video showing results of both cameras side by side:
Hero 4 Silver or Hero Session?

It's a long blog post, so here are the Cliff's notes version: Session is OK if you are primarily going to mount it to a player. But the 4 Silver is a far better camera with regards to functionality and image quality.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Used lynkspyder this weekend. Awesome device for sure!!

Oh and used the gopro too!! lol

Mike, what mini sd card do you use with your gopro? I am having a lot of trouble with freezing. I think it might be the card. I am using a Sandisk 64 Extreme. I might need the Sandisk 64 Extreme Ultra. Any ideas?

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
There is a action camera on the market called Cyclopsgear CGX2 that was just released. It is the latest action camera from Cyclopsgear and is a great deal for the $$. The camera retails for $299 and comes with several mounts, 32gb card, 2 hour battery, remote watch (really cool) and capable of shooting in 4K. This company is well known in the motocross & Ski world with their cameras in the goggles. They are sold at BRP dealers(Can-Am, Ski-Doo) and are definitely worth checking out. I have been using one for my daughters practices and have some great footage! I'm wondering if there legal to use on her helmet during a game?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
There is a action camera on the market called Cyclopsgear CGX2 that was just released. It is the latest action camera from Cyclopsgear and is a great deal for the $$. The camera retails for $299 and comes with several mounts, 32gb card, 2 hour battery, remote watch (really cool) and capable of shooting in 4K. This company is well known in the motocross & Ski world with their cameras in the goggles. They are sold at BRP dealers(Can-Am, Ski-Doo) and are definitely worth checking out. I have been using one for my daughters practices and have some great footage! I'm wondering if there legal to use on her helmet during a game?

I only recently discovered these guys, so I'm certainly not trashing them by any means (not without additional research, anyhow). But I'm always initially cautious of a product that is designed specifically to look like its direct competitor. With that said, Cyclops Gear appears to be a domestic company (Colorado) run by local folks (CEO is a Colorado State graduate). Certainly not the off-shore knock offs we see a lot of.

Clearly I'd want to see side by side video results from it's closest competitor (GoPro Hero 4 Silver). It's price point is in line with the Hero Session, but with the addition of an LCD. But for mounting on a player (as you mentioned above), the LCD makes less sense, and the smaller form factor of the Session makes more sense (again, depending on quality; Session quality is not perfect). I'd also want to see what field of view options are available. The 160 degree lens is pretty wide. If it can't be narrowed, it will have some limits for recording games. The last thing I look for is external power options. It looks like USB is the only option in this case. Depending on how the camera is designed, that can lead to unstable conditions in the heat.

I'll add these guys to our ever growing list of camera shops to research.

Side Note: The Z Camera E1 is one I'm personally watching closely right now. The price point is way beyond the average ball shooter. But the quality and usability is better than anything I've seen to date. But that is perhaps another thread of its own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma