Opponent blocking the bases....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
WOW.

This video goes beyond my rendition of what I thought was "harsh".

Did the batter really feel that if the ball was dropped by the second baseman that she really would logically be heading to second? No way!

One could also ask "what was the first base coach calling?"

If the first base coach was incorrectly calling for her to round 1st and "go" then a little of the blame comes off the batter.

But assuming that this was all in the head of the batter I have to say in this case I would have ejected the batter for this completely unnecessary act of contact.

Jun 22, 2010
#17 in that video is done for the day if I'm umpiring.

Go ahead and complain to the umpires about obstruction if they really aren't calling it (are you sure they aren't calling it, but then not awarding any bases, as would be the case on this play if there hadn't been a crash?), but please don't teach your runners unsportsmanlike conduct.

Again like I mention this was not the best example...but imagine the ball is rolling to the outfield would any body still voice any complaints?

My point exactly...in the video, the batter had no chance of going safely to second base.
However, if the ball was in the outfield, then she has a right to hit the inside corner of first as she heads to second. Should she lower her shoulder into the first baseman? IMO no, but contact is probably necessary to get the point across.

Mar 1, 2013
Again like I mention this was not the best example...but imagine the ball is rolling to the outfield would any body still voice any complaints?

I've seen this video before. All of the title cards and slow-motion replays aside, I was convinced the first viewing that the runner deliberately initiated the crash there. She's out and out of the game. The coach will be on a short leash as well.

Even if the ball was hit to the fence and the F3 was standing on the bag, initiating contact like that (deliberately lowering your shoulder and leveling the fielder) will result in you needing a substitute because you'll be out of the game.

Rec, HS, tournament, college, etc. It doesn't matter. Deliberately crashing into a fielder who may or may not be obstructing you is not the way to get your point across. And if you're coaching your girls to do that in order to draw an obstruction call, you probably shouldn't be coaching.

Dec 7, 2011
My point exactly...in the video, the batter had no chance of going safely to second base.
However, if the ball was in the outfield, then she has a right to hit the inside corner of first as she heads to second. Should she lower her shoulder into the first baseman? IMO no, but contact is probably necessary to get the point across.

Agree totally

Rec, HS, tournament, college, etc. It doesn't matter. Deliberately crashing into a fielder who may or may not be obstructing you is not the way to get your point across. And if you're coaching your girls to do that in order to draw an obstruction call, you probably shouldn't be coaching.

Point taken. I don't even want the obstruction call, I want them off the bag, observing the same rules and courtesy of the game that I teach my girls. I definitely do not want someone injured, and I do not want ill will among girls that will be playing each other in multiple sports for the next five or six years.

I don't want my girls initiating contact, but if Blue isn't calling obstruction, what course of action do you suggest?

This is why I posted on DFP. What I am seeking is advice from someone who has dealt with this before.

Last edited:
I've seen this video before. All of the title cards and slow-motion replays aside, I was convinced the first viewing that the runner deliberately initiated the crash there. She's out and out of the game. The coach will be on a short leash as well.

Even if the ball was hit to the fence and the F3 was standing on the bag, initiating contact like that (deliberately lowering your shoulder and leveling the fielder) will result in you needing a substitute because you'll be out of the game.

and, assuming this is a ball rolling to outfield, instead as the runner stumbles around the girl on first and loses her footing trying go around pushes on towards second base and gets called out on the throw you are one out of hundred umpires that actually makes that obstruction call (because I am trying to be nice)...but the other 99 times it happens the runner and coach who complain get the " I did not see any contact" response from the umpire.

The reason you don't see this at higher levels is because girls do the self policing not the umpires. I don't coach my girls to run into anyone I teach them to run the bases correctly regardless of where the other players are and I would hope the opposing coach is teaching his player to play the ball correctly in return.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
I see people trying to justify an illegal act. I don't care where the ball is. Player is done for the day if I am umpiring.....I agree with Patrick (honus) and Eddie on this one...

Joel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi