Opponent blocking the bases....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I get this same tactic from one of my opponents periodically. It is in MS ball (7 & 8 grade) and we play them two to three times a year. It does not happen all the time, mainly when my smaller girls are on base, and it happened again last week.
At least three times this occurred: we have a runner on second and the ball is hit to the outfield. Third base positions herself with one one foot right in the middle of the bag and her body over the inside corner of the bag. The ball is nowhere close enough for her to make a play. The tactic being coached is to take this position to deny the inside of the bag to our runner and force her to take a longer route home.

Last year when this happened my SS (at the time about 5'9" and a solid 180) took her regular path through the first baseman on her way to second. That put a stop to it for the rest of that game. I can't say I encouraged it, but I sure did not discourage it.

I prefer to not have my players initiate contact, but it appears to be the most effective way of dealing with the problem.
What do some of you do or suggest? I am open to any suggestions.

Dec 7, 2011
took her regular path through the first baseman on her way to second.

So after many many years coaching I came to this conclusion. Maybe harsh but it was the one with the best outcome.

I watch the defense clearing bases on the very first baserunner rounding first (that does not have a potential play at first). If there is not a clear "move-out-of-the-way" move accomplished by the defense I will call it out to the ump and ask for consideration.

After that I WILL instruct my runners to not let the defense get in the way and whatever happens,... happens. (usually meaning my beast daughter will level the first baseman ONLY if it appears outright intentional.)

I will not tolerate intentional runner obstruction like that.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think you might be giving to much credit to the “cunning”(being nice) of the other Team.

If you have 2 umpires I would bring it up in the pregame discussion that you have had this Issue in past games, you don’t have to bring up that you think this specific opponent is the Issue. I am not sure what else you can do.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We worked with our high school girls on how to cover a base safely last night. Keep in mind steel spikes are now allowed at MS-high school at least in our area. If someone is teaching this, someone will get hurt. I have only been tossed once and it was because a coach taught his kids to block the base path. He had his kid at first at release step in the base path 3 feet away from first base which forced the runner to go around her and not have a direct path to second base on the steal. Blue didn't or wouldn't call it.

Last edited:
That seems to be the heart of the problem.... many of them will not call it unless there is physical contact.
This is difficult to coach, some girls will avoid the contact and some would go out of their way to initiate it.
When my SS ran through the runner she was not awarded another base, she got a warning.

To some of the posters point, again this might seem harsh; and I will grant you this girl was frustrated because she popped out but the other team learned quickly that the base paths belong to the runners unless you have the ball in hand. Again if the ball was rolling in the outfield no body would complain as much but girls can't just be spectators and not know where they are at in the base path or definitely can't block the base paths intentionally. This might not be the perfect example but I think the point is made.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
To some of the posters point, again this might seem harsh; and I will grant you this girl was frustrated because she popped out but the other team learned quickly that the base paths belong to the runners unless you have the ball in hand. Again if the ball was rolling in the outfield no body would complain as much but girls can't just be spectators and not know where they are at in the base path or definitely can't block the base paths intentionally. This might not be the perfect example but I think the point is made.

I don't agree with that at all....on that play the inside of the bag was not her's with a ball in front of her on the infield....that was a cheap play period....it was a weak pop up on the infield, the play was over and if she had dropped the firstbase player was where she was supposed to be in case of a throw....that runner should have just ran through the bag either way, because rounded a bag with the ball 15 feet from you is stupid, so she did that on purpose....someone, and probably a #3 or #4 hitter would get "dotted" in 18A or 18Gold for that stunt....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi