First - when to tag runner vs base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter has tagged a few girls when fielding a grounder in front of first- someone commented she should just tag the base instead- but it seems riskier to step back to a base instead of just tagging a runner who is right there.

So when should first tag runner vs bag?

Does it change if there’s potential for a double play?

Jun 11, 2013
My daughter has tagged a few girls when fielding a grounder in front of first- someone commented she should just tag the base instead- but it seems riskier to step back to a base instead of just tagging a runner who is right there.

So when should first tag runner vs bag?

Does it change if there’s potential for a double play?
It depends who is on base and where she fields it. If there is a runner on 3rd if she turns her back to run to the base the runner will score. Often you can run at the batter and hold the runner at 1st. The only risk to tagging is that the ball can get knocked out if you don't hold it tightly. I like the tag when possible but others don't. Now for a DP it matters as you can't really tag the batter and get the out at second too.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If you're even or maybe a step ahead when you get the ball, step on the bag. If you're further forward or moving up toward the ball, tag the runner. If a throw to 1B takes you up the line, tag the runner.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If you're even or maybe a step ahead when you get the ball, step on the bag. If you're further forward or moving up toward the ball, tag the runner. If a throw to 1B takes you up the line, tag the runner.

Do this, especially if there are no other runners to worry about.

Once she has the ball, there's no obstruction. Just stand in the way and approach for a tag.

I have seen 1Bs (often not the best athletes) field the ball, have an easy tag, but they turn to run to the base or toss it to the second baseman and the runner ends up beating the play. Just make the tag.

May 20, 2015
Do this, especially if there are no other runners to worry about.

Once she has the ball, there's no obstruction. Just stand in the way and approach for a tag.

I have seen 1Bs (often not the best athletes) field the ball, have an easy tag, but they turn to run to the base or toss it to the second baseman and the runner ends up beating the play. Just make the tag.

if the 1B is fielding the ball in fair territory, obstruction on the batter runner is not an issue anyways

May 29, 2015
Not sure if I should "like" that or "sad face" that.

A fielder in the legitimate act of fielding the ball (not getting to it) has the right of way. The burden is then on the runner to avoid or potentially cause interference.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
In softball (at least the youth sanctions I am familiar with with) if the batter runner retreats toward home to avoid or delay a tag it is interference-
Immediate dead ball, batter runner is out, other runners are returned to the base they last touched prior to the interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles