Noticing a Trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
Their needs to be a balance to have learning. There needs to be a balance of respect - but I believe ya can NOT put down constructive criticism.

I look at it this way - I have worked at companies in the past where everyone is hyper-sensitized to never being critical to anyone at any time. The result of this scenario is that you have a bunch of folks not wanting to take nor give constructive criticism. What you get in the end is a bunch of mediocrity because nobody learns from anybody else anymore BUT of course you have a collective "peace" that makes ya think yer doing the right thing.

At the same time tolerance in people is eroding (biggest problem here). You say one little challenging thing to a persons set of beliefs these days and they go immediately from collective peace to "where's my gun".

Two examples I want to refer to :
I am a huge Bears fan. I live in a place with HUGE Packers fans. Me & my friends will sit there and dig and talk and criticize to no end. DO we grab our guns at the first time we don't like what we hear? No. But at the same time, during all this banter we learn more about each other and more about the sport.

Example two - I have recently had my arguments with a couple folks here. I have been raised by wonderful parents (I think) so what would be my reaction towards seeing ANY of you DFP folks in public? Well I would offer ya a beverage of your choice and what I would hope to get would be civil and jovial discussion of the topics that we hold dear to our hearts. So many times we do feel the same about things but it's only after debate that we find just our differing use of words is what got us in the way from agreeing.

So I will heed the request to keep the arguments to a low roar as long as many of you heed my request strive to learn some tolerance for constructive criticism.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks so much for this. It is exactly how I feel. I came here to learn as much as I can so I can help my daughter and her teammates when called on to do so. When you feel you are going to get lit up for posting "your experience", it is off putting.

And constructive criticism is totally fine when it is just that. Many times I feel like the original post isn't even read and posters just go off on tangents posting long posts that I can't even begin to start reading. There def. seems to be a tendancy to try and be right instead of being helpful.

GG

Last edited:
Wish I could put up a collection of posts by ssarge. Probably the ultimate poster/teacher/communicator of ideas while respecting everyone's point of view. He could almost stick a knife in your side and you'd feel good about it.

Are there opposing views on how to best pitch....no doubt.....so lets hear them. One thing ssarge was good about was providing some visual input or a documented study or some acclaimed research paper to show why he supported an idea. This doesn't mean he was always right but it did provide information for the rest of us to consider and digest so we might continue evolving our own thoughts.

I am relatively old and been around the block a few times in the softball world......but am still amazed at some of the great info I have missed. I am willing to guess that I have evolved and refined my teachings more in the past 5 years then in the 25 years prior to that. Like most I have my opinions on what is the absolute best in pitching mechanics but do attempt to realize that there is an "acceptable range" that will produce excellent results. (some of my old quality control background is starting to surface here) Additionally, there are methods that fall out of the "acceptable range" that somehow manage to produce excellent results. So rather than totally dismiss these methods it may be valuable to have seen and heard them so when you run into that special situation you may have a ready data bank available to try something different.
In industry we used to have "brainstorming" sessions where no idea was a bad idea....absolutely no one was allowed to say an idea was "crazy". It was amazing how many times you would take someones "crazy idea" and combine parts of it with someone else's "crazy idea" and come up with a great idea.
I think this forum can provide this type of brainstorming.

For a total novice to fastpitch pitching the challenge is how to decipher what is best for your DD or student. My best advice is to really study what is being posted here and if the research isn't presented to you then do the research yourself......do not take the easy way out. Try to define what is an acceptable range and see if there is a mountain of data to support it. Whether it is pitching or hitting or throwing, etc. study what the best in the sport do and see if there are some common traits.....try to emulate these and keep what works and put what doesn't work in the back of the brain for that day when you can combine it with another "crazy method" and come up with what works for your DD....... understand that your DD may be one that falls outside the acceptable range but still achieves. This does not make you or DD a bad person.

Rick, funny you should mention this. I was just reminiscing and reading old post on the site that I moderate. In reading a post by ssarge, he commented on the Rise ball Project and your ability to have meaningful discussion with him instead of useless disagreement. The outcome was enlightening as the two of you along with your daughter worked on that project/discussion.

Feb 22, 2013
As to the OP, I really haven't noticed a downward trend in reading, posting, creating posts etc. Then again, I am not the most observant lurker of this forum. I read the posts that interest me and stay clear of the posts that don't interest me. I find value in reading and sharing personal experiences, successes and failures of coaching and being a parent of a fastpitch softball player.

Over the last eight or so months, I would bet that I have started over 70 to 80 posts that I didn't complete or post, because after I typed them and read them, I figured that they added no value to the topic at hand. I gotta believe that I am not the only one on this site that has done this.

In a couple of weeks, I will be off to Referee basketball. I will get called every name in the Book and then a few that I will have to do a Google Search on. I won't stop Refereeing because there is a chance that a few parents will berate the poor, overweight guy, who uses his whistle as an inhaler. I will stop Refereeing when I think that I can no longer add value to the game of basketball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is a seasonal downturn in traffic. Our "busy" months are February to May. Then, as people get into "serious" summer TB, the posts slow down. There is an uptick at the beginning of the fall season, then it is pretty slow from mid-October to January.

The "regulars" here should be table to take a little bit more frankness. The newbies should be treated more gingerly, even though I still have trouble biting my tongue with the "my 6 YOA DD throws five pitches" posts.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
What Sluggers?!?!.... you mean you don't believe me when I say my 5yr olds rise ball is breaking upward at least 12" now and she was clocked at 55 mph last week!
Ps ... I need some tips on how to keep her weight back!
LOL !!!

Jun 13, 2009
Coach James, I think I heard of a book somewhere that is full of tricks and tips. This book will undoubtedly get your daughter throwing even harder with more movement and totally disrupt the hitters timing every pitch. Moreover she won't go blind from reading it.

Cg

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
SleepWalker...Hope you saved them... I have a bunch saved that I didn't post, and wish I would have... and a bunch I posted, that wish I would have saved...

I like your personal input, and agree with and adhere to keeping your contribution's in context & an example of your definition of trying to help...however I have to agree with OP. My take is that the difference is... instead of individual smart Alexis... we are seeing a clustering into....kinda groups/gangs/clicks ect... & that requires leadership, that is competed for by being ban, or bigger borderline breaches of the honorary rules of learning.... ??? A simple poll asking.... if you could rate yourself as a Gentleman would bear this out...

Anyways, I can also agree w/ RP that this place has potential.... We should be seeing girls voted on and named DFP's Best Swing...Best Pitcher...Best Fielder... ect... and that really meaning something to Coaches, Scouts..... ect..................

Now all we have is people not wanting to even post their DD....& I think alot of that is mis-characterized by saying that they are scared.... I think they just don't want to be bothered with all the stupidity... and I have had spells of it myself.... not the rudeness, but I have been known to Filibuster to get back at a select couple, to the confusion of all others.... non-productive

RP.... I like your intentions, and know you know more about how to navigate a DD's career. I'm hoping that this board will see your comments and consider....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd