Noticing a Trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I've just recently started back reading and posting on this site. Have been on here several times in the past and usually lost interest because of one issue. This forum is titled Discuss Fastpitch......but more and more it seems to be "my dog is bigger than your dog" type arguements. The trend I refer to is my observation that it seems as though fewer and fewer people are reading, responding, or creating a post. Normal people probably see what is happening on these posts and are fearful of posting 'cause they will get tore up and berated. I've seen other forums disintegrate because of what is happening here.
I think this can be the best forum in softball but we need to stick to more sane correspondence. What do you think? Let's try to help kids/parents/coaches that are sincerely asking for help.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Thanks for the call to arms. I agree, in general, we could all benefit from being a little more civil. I know I have posted one or two things that have just been me taking issue with someone based on their personality and not the content of their posts. I will take a civility pledge and strive for more substantive content in my posts.

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for this post Rick. I always find your answers and input so helpful, along with so many others. I have been thinking lately the same sort of thing and thinking about just giving up on this resource as it seems so often I'm embarrassed to ask a question, or ask for clarification. It seems that people will talk to you completely differently than if you were in person. Things like - "you should know this by now" well obviously I don't or I wouldn't have asked. And I'm not talking about the humorous replies and joking - I enjoy all that sort of thing on here that really lightens things up, and gives some humor to our day. But the tone of "how dumb can you be" often comes through loud and clear.

Feb 7, 2013
Rick, good post and continue to do what you are doing. I personally find your stuff fascinating and very insightful.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
I noticed that the pitching forum is now regularly behind the general fastpitch forum in readers; pitching used to trounce the other boards. I'll leave the whys to others.

Rick, I would prefer that you simplify your posts, as folks like me can't follow them.

I would also prefer you not back things like "brush interference" as the ONLY way. If I use another example, most elite pitchers gym step, but I am not going to have my young kid do that.

Many elite pitchers pike at the waist, many have excessive back swings. We need to leave some room for kids to develop their own methods and ways. The players at my local college do not brush interfere at all (Laugh and say that's old fashioned), being rollover drop and screwball pitchers, so let them be. Fernandez did not brush interfere according to her own words.

We may find that are kids come up with better technique, and a new style in the next 20 years.

Ohh you don't endorse the gym step huh...I think someone else said this and you bumped those gums about it.. Did you change your opinion or did you buy the Pro Drive? Lmao

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Ohh you don't endorse the gym step huh...I think someone else said this and you bumped those gums about it.. Did you change your opinion or did you buy the Pro Drive? Lmao

Left Hook-

What are your thoughts about keeping posts more content related and cutting down on personal attacks/put downs? That is what the thread is aimed at. Rick is one of the very valuable resources we have access to on this board and I think when he says something to this effect, it is in our best interest to fall in line as bucket dads with a desire to learn and make an effort to clean up the board a little and make sure it is a hospitable environment for everyone.

Jul 26, 2010
I find that if you simply don't respond to the personal attacks, the threads are filled with much more useful info. Everywhere has the short bus helmet wearing members, but hey, someone has to bag the groceries. It's not their fault, if they find a way to vent behind the guise of anonymity on the internet and squealing nonsense at me helps them get through their miserable day, so be it . . . but that does not mean it warrants a response.

In other words, just don't feed the trolls.

-W

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY

LEFT HOOK,

Seriously? Look... I too, have had an occasional disagreement with OILF, but come on, really? This is specifically what Rick is talking about. I saw your daughters thread... and how it was unraveled was truly unfortunate... but if I had any word of advice... Let negative people alone. Don't reply, and they will be quiet... or like others, realize they are having a conversation with themselves.

Rick,

Keep posting... and make it as loooooooong as you desire. Loooooooooonger the better. Information = knowledge. Knowledge = power.

Cheers,
~JS

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
LEFT HOOK,

Seriously? Look... I too, have had an occasional disagreement with OILF, but come on, really? This is specifically what Rick is talking about. I saw your daughters thread... and how it was unraveled was truly unfortunate... but if I had any word of advice... Let negative people alone. Don't reply, and they will be quiet... or like others, realize they are having a conversation with themselves.

Rick,

Keep posting... and make it as loooooooong as you desire. Loooooooooonger the better. Information = knowledge. Knowledge = power.

Cheers,
~JS

Must say I agree.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Left Hook-

What are your thoughts about keeping posts more content related and cutting down on personal attacks/put downs? That is what the thread is aimed at. Rick is one of the very valuable resources we have access to on this board and I think when he says something to this effect, it is in our best interest to fall in line as bucket dads with a desire to learn and make an effort to clean up the board a little and make sure it is a hospitable environment for everyone.

Sounds like a winner. But when some joke like Oilf and fiveframe make a gif of my daughter without my permission and advise me of being a bad father... Well that's all she wrote... And if you think I wouldn't do anything about it then you are wrong. From what I see fiveframe and Oilf do nothing but bump there gums and ask stupid questions instead of actually contributing.I think they need to go back to that virus infected site at Hitting Illustrated and talk to those idiots...I wonder why that site is infected with a virus??? Lmao....hmmmmm...I wonder who did that? But in the spirit of this post I will say no more.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd