Noticing a Trend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Great post Rick. I've also noticed the Pitching Forum has been a bit quiet lately. I can't figure out if this is shut-down time, or the lack of good content in posts is cause. I'm guilty... I admit it. Certain stuff really gets under my skin and I feel the need to retaliate. I tell you what...In the spirit of you taking the time to actually create this thread.... I'll make it a point to lay off the excessive "personal attacks" even if it's not my fault...lol. If everyone does the same.....it will be a much more useful resource. Heck...I'm even going to start a new thread on a topic I think has been brought up...but not nearly talked about enough.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Rick, funny you should mention this. I was just reminiscing and reading old post on the site that I moderate. In reading a post by ssarge, he commented on the Rise ball Project and your ability to have meaningful discussion with him instead of useless disagreement. The outcome was enlightening as the two of you along with your daughter worked on that project/discussion.

May 23, 2010
Michigan
I rarely post, but have noticed that a few posters feel the need to pontificate and lecture well beyond the original post. For example, I asked for input about my community college daughter (pitcher) and her tendency to consistently start slow in games but finish strong. I received some very useful replies, but one poster decided it was his place to start babbling about how my daughter was no longer 14u and that it was the coaches job bla, bla, bla, and why don't I back off, bla,bla,bla.

Frankly, if I wanted parenting advise, I would have gone to a parenting forum, not a pitching forum. I think I know how to parent my daughter, thank you. My advice to all of us: stick to dispensing advise on pitching, not anything else beyond your purview.

Mar 15, 2013
AMEN to that Rick!! Thank you! I try to read and learn as much as I can from this forum but I cant stomach the nastiness. I enjoy when you, Hillhouse and others post valuable info.. I hate having to get past the put downs..basic respect for others goes a long way :) : )

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Have expierience as a P/C and could contribute but I don't see an upside. There's most likely more of us. Good post Rick, by the,way your contributions are greatly appreciated.

Jul 14, 2008
Oh great........So now I have to put up with Skinners nonsense?.........Look the other way when the BS starts flying?........

I'll try..........But I don't expect I'll be able to hold my tongue when he starts spewing out some of the garbage........Especially when it comes to "judging others" from his rocking chair........Making claims about others to protect his inflated ego........

If I have to hear one more time about his 45 degree closed mechanics being better and "safer" then 45 degrees open mechanics.......And how a steppers pivot foot is in contact with the rubber at stride foot touchdown........Except when it isn't.......

Oh man.......This can't last.........But I'll try..........God knows I will..........Time will tell..........

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
I rarely post, but have noticed that a few posters feel the need to pontificate and lecture well beyond the original post. For example, I asked for input about my community college daughter (pitcher) and her tendency to consistently start slow in games but finish strong. I received some very useful replies, but one poster decided it was his place to start babbling about how my daughter was no longer 14u and that it was the coaches job bla, bla, bla, and why don't I back off, bla,bla,bla.

Frankly, if I wanted parenting advise, I would have gone to a parenting forum, not a pitching forum. I think I know how to parent my daughter, thank you. My advice to all of us: stick to dispensing advise on pitching, not anything else beyond your purview.

Isn't this what I said?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Good topic. Thanks for your willingness to share some of Sarah's pros and cons with what works best.
I too get very tired of the "I'm right and your wrong" we see a lot of these days!

Jun 13, 2009
Rick

I think BM said it with tongue in cheek but his point is quite valid. There is a "coach" on this forum who routinely makes things up about what others teach and I don't blame those he attacks for standing up, pushing back or trying to "defend" themselves. And as I look back, the in-fights that seem to occur start as the result of this coach making some-kind of outrageous claim.

Imagine you are not a regular on this board but a newbie instead. You stumble across this board and the posts you read by someone claim that pitching coach "John Doe" teaches things that hurt girls or that the other coach "Joe Blow" teaches things he/she actually does not and those things could impede vision. Now, the regulars here are starting to figure out that this coach is loonier than a crack house rat but, this newbie could believe what he reads if these guys don't "defend" themselves. Quite honestly, I cannot believe one of them in particular doesn't attack back. He makes some sarcastic remarks but doesn't go for the jugular like I probably would at this point. I think it's in our instinct to push back when attacked. It's easy to say turn the other cheek but, some of these claims are slanderous and downright ridiculous. So I ask, how much would you take before you "fought back"?

cg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26