New PC - Advice and Sympathy Needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
Ok so quick background. Daughter has only been having lessons for about one year. Discovered I/R and have been trying to head that way. Pitching coach has been receptive and relatively helpful in understanding follow through, whip, etc. As I send her helpful links.

Now fast forward to just making it on first real team a few weeks ago. Practices have been going great. Last night was first night to have team pitching coach work with pitchers. Was very successful pitcher herself and seems to have successful students although I haven't seen any video but do know they are making it to college as pitchers.

My daughter is first to arrive and begins warming up, all the other girls trickle in and start to warm up a bit. PC shows up and chats with other coaches. Comes over and introduces herself to girls and says "ok who is warmed up". Mine is only one who is ready so she gets the first slot of attention. She asks her a couple questions about her experience and says ok just throw me a few 4 seams inside and then out. She does. My heart slows beating a tad as the first pitch is perfect inside and the second is almost right where it should be out. And then she says it . . . wait for it . . . "ok try it again and this time lets have a nice strong follow-through with your hand coming up more toward your shoulder"

:( ugh :confused:

Wondering how we make the most of these next ten free sessions with a very experienced coach who I'm sure she has a TON to learn from without heading down a path we have just been trying to get off of. Since we are so new to I/R what are the main things I need to be careful of and keep watch for while helping my daughter be teachable, respectful and a team player.

Jun 19, 2013
We just feel like such newbies and it is hard to tell an experienced coach "we are doing something else" when we don't really know how to express what we are doing and why in plain English. And who am I, a mom who has never played a day of softball in my life, to tell a coach, who was a pitcher who helped win the college softball world series, that she isn't teaching my daughter what we want her to learn, no matter how politely I say it. And then back it up with it just makes sense to me and these people on this discussion site advocate it. haha I sound even crazy to myself!!!!

May 17, 2012
First when someone says they are a college pitcher or did pitch in college that means little to me as to their knowledge of pitching or their ability to coach pitching.

There are some girls that you could have a mop bucket teach weekly pitching lessons every week for 5 years and those girls will still go on to pitch in college. Then you could talk about how many students the mop bucket put through college.

I am not a fan of team pitching coaches teaching mechanics unless this is the only coach the girls are seeing. If someone wants to come in and do drills, work on certain pitches than fine. You can't have two pitching coaches teaching mechanics to your daughter at the same time.

Tell them you have studied high level pitching and you don't see the majority of those pitchers finishing with hello elbow.

If they reply with, "That's the way I did it in college". Simply reply with, "Just think how could you could have been....."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Smile and nod. Apologies for those who have heard our story before, but DD and I went to a small group session with a locally, well respected PC. DD was throwing a drop and PC came over and complimented her for her perfect spin and movement, but told her she needed to work on getting her hand behind the ball more at release... DD looked at me and I smiled and nodded (cue reminding her we'd already discussed the chance that she would be told something she knew better about.) DD proceeded to throw a few more, PC praised her atold her to keep working on it then moved on to another kid (DD didn't change a thing.)

No PC is perfect. Hopefully you find someone who is close and can work with you on stuff you don't agree on. I realize that some parents and coaches don't believe a word I say because they've heard the praises of slamming the door, bowling and HE everywhere they look. I can't win with these folks and it's hard to see them go. It's worse to see them at a game...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"Who am I, just a Mom"

Who you are is the final authority when it comes to decisions about your daughter, YOU ARE THE PARENT.

If the coach cannot accept that, find another team. Just because you are a rookie parent doesnt mean youi have to sit down and shut up.

Say what you need to say and dont fear the concequences. If they want to say no thank you, it might be for the best. In my opinion the HE is not a safe pitching motion, I believe many others will agree with that. If she uses her college experience and her name as an authority, and asks you who told you that, feel free to use my name and toss the ball back in her court.

Just say NO to unsafe mechanics.

Feb 5, 2010
Smile and nod works best for keeping egos at bay. You are in a bad spot right now because it is the "team coach" and that could become a pain for your DD.
What Hal had to say is the truth, you are the final say right now. Be open minded and learn what the best are doing and why.

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks everyone! It really is helpful. I think our plan will be to smile and nod for now. Try to be learners and glean what we can. We'll see how things progress then in a couple week I'll have a talk with her and explain my concerns about that follow through. I don't want to come off as a know it all right off the bat as we are finding our way on this new team, and really really like this group. She is growing by leaps and bounds in hitting and fielding and we don't want to jeopardize her position in any way.

My impression isn't that this gal will be hard line about my way or the highway. In fact we were told from day one that she was there to help the pitchers and support their current pitching coach if they already have one. So it really is up to me to be confident in what we are doing and get my husband to go through the I/R threads since he is the catcher :) I do value her skills and experience - and by the way she has not advertised any of this information as her resume, I had to dig to find out what her credentials were. She seemed to run the practice really well. She was encouraging while still challenging them to push themselves and work hard. And my DD said "I really liked her" which is also a nice perk.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
And my DD said "I really liked her" which is also a nice perk.

Many times, this is more importart than teaching perfect mechanics. There are many great coaches that teach less-than-perfect mechanics, but are great at motivating, teaching and connecting with players. If you can find a great coach who teaches great form, you are blessed.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I should probably add this. I have seen team coaches that said "OK. We'll try it your way. But if it doesnt work, then we go to my way". First time she pitches and has a few bad innings, the coach would call time and tell the pitcher "OK. We tried it your way and its not working. Now we're gonna do it my way."

It might turn out that way for you also. Be advised.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors